May 14, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

.22LR Single Shot?

35 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@gallowshumour)
Trusted Member

Gallowshumour, I use subsonic for one of my rifles and it's not much quieter than the regular or high-velocity..

As I said, I haven't used subsonic rounds, so anything I have to say about them is based solely on You Tube videos and what I have read. Some You Tube videos I've seen did have a reduction in sound at the muzzle, but not a great deal (perhaps max 20% quieter). What else needs to be considered, though, is what is heard downrange, or in any direction away from the immediate vicinity of the rifle. Going subsonic removes the "crack" caused by supersonic travel of the bullet. As far as I'm concerned, anything that reduces your sound signature and helps you avoid unwanted attention at the wrong time, is a good thing.

ReplyQuote
(@jimbo-jones)
Estimable Member

exactly what I have noticed. there is a pretty good reduction in noise in a shooting hut and out doors they are great I cant use them in my GSG 15 as they keyhole but in my Ruger they shoot great

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Savage rascal?

Accu-trigger, Small, light, compact, cheap.

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@jimbo-jones)
Estimable Member

the rascal is a very small light accurate pkg that can be tucked away easily. Good thought

ReplyQuote
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I ended up with a Crickett Adult. Nice little shooter, simple, cheap. I probably would have gone with a Savage 42 .22LR/.410, but the retailer had none in stock. The Crickett suits my needs just fine, anyway.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Sub-sonic rounds do limit noise (some manufacturers claim as much as 50%). This is a two-edged sword, since energy is the product of mass times velocity squared, a slower bullet has exponentially less energy than a faster one of the same weight. In a .22 it doesn't matter much because you don't need much to take out a squirrel, but for larger rounds (and game) this can be a problem as impact power and accuracy/effective range are reduced..

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

Sub-sonic rounds do limit noise (some manufacturers claim as much as 50%). This is a two-edged sword, since energy is the product of mass times velocity squared, a slower bullet has exponentially less energy than a faster one of the same weight. In a .22 it doesn't matter much because you don't need much to take out a squirrel, but for larger rounds (and game) this can be a problem as impact power and accuracy/effective range are reduced..

I hate to be "that guy" but E=mc^2 refers to c as being the speed of light, not velocity in traditional newtonian phsyics. This formula is applicable in relative physics when approaching the speed of light.

For everyday use like a subsonic (or even supersonic) bullet: Energy = 1/2 (mass x velocity^2).

I'm just pointing this out if someone is actually calculating Kinetic energy of a bullet for some reason. The resulting energy will vary big time.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@jimbo-jones)
Estimable Member

ive seen 2 types of SubS one is a a standard type weight(40ish gr) loaded with less powder to not break super sonic. Then I found the Aguila and they are a 60 gr bullet on a short casing but with the added mass it never makes it to super. With the short case and heavy weight i prefer the Aguila personally.But From my GSG15 I find it keyholes but from my bolt action no problems this is due to the amount of energy potential being eaten up with the action type.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Energy = 1/2 (mass x velocity^2).

Thanks crown, you can be "that guy" anytime you want. 🙂 You're correct. Kinetic Energy isn't mass x velocity^2, but ½mv2. Regardless, if the velocity is less, so is the KE. I guess that was my point...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Love 22 bolt actions. Less bits and pieces to fail. Won’t jam if minimally maintained and fire 22shorts for reduced noise

ReplyQuote
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

After much monthly hounding, I was able to acquire a Tikka T1X in 22LR from my preferred firearms vendor, last summer. Man I love Finnish rifles, the build quality is just superb.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

After much monthly hounding, I was able to acquire a Tikka T1X in 22LR from my preferred firearms vendor, last summer. Man I love Finnish rifles, the build quality is just superb.

A quality piece is always nice to have, I say that as a cheap man, but sometimes its nice to spend the extra coin. That is not a single shot though...the topic you started? A change in plans?

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I have just had to (over the last few weeks) shoot out some beavers. I so much prefer clean one shot kills, but in the area I was asked to do this no shooting is allowed and I had to do it so close to houses that the light from their windows illuminated the area I was in (at dusk). These people liked the beavers but they were not the ones being flooded by them... anyway, the first beaver was easy, I got him the first evening right in the head with a single shot of remington sub sonic ammo. The second was a major pain in the ass, at times I had him right in my sights, up close and could have head shot him but people had stepped out on the deck, or were in the yard and I could not risk them hearing the shot. After night after night of people blowing my shooting opertunity I had to take shots of chance from longer ranges. Long story short, I hit the beaver (body shots) 3 shots for sure (maybe a fourth) over 5-7 evenings. I heard the slugs slam into the body but he seemed un fazed each time. 4 nights now and I am told he has not been seen. So I think the multipule hits did the trick, took a while. Sub sonic ammo is very handy when you need to be discrete. People inside homes don't hear anything, if outside they can hear something but its hard to tell what or where it came from, and of course sub sonic ammo as Wayne said is much less powerful. Beavers are tough thick skinned animals I would have so much preferred using standard ammo but I got to do what I got to do.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A quality piece is always nice to have, I say that as a cheap man, but sometimes its nice to spend the extra coin. That is not a single shot though...the topic you started? A change in plans?

Got the single shot right off the bat, a Keystone Crickett Adult, it's a very nice little rifle. Acquired a couple of higher calibre rifles later on, a Tikka and a Sako clone, so when Tikka announced the T1X I got into the virtual lineup immediately. I prefer to shoot the T1X, but I guess I'm keeping the Crickett around in case the younger family members take an interest in firearms.

ReplyQuote
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have just had to (over the last few weeks) shoot out some beavers. I so much prefer clean one shot kills, but in the area I was asked to do this no shooting is allowed and I had to do it so close to houses that the light from their windows illuminated the area I was in (at dusk). These people liked the beavers but they were not the ones being flooded by them... anyway, the first beaver was easy, I got him the first evening right in the head with a single shot of remington sub sonic ammo. The second was a major pain in the ass, at times I had him right in my sights, up close and could have head shot him but people had stepped out on the deck, or were in the yard and I could not risk them hearing the shot. After night after night of people blowing my shooting opertunity I had to take shots of chance from longer ranges. Long story short, I hit the beaver (body shots) 3 shots for sure (maybe a fourth) over 5-7 evenings. I heard the slugs slam into the body but he seemed un fazed each time. 4 nights now and I am told he has not been seen. So I think the multipule hits did the trick, took a while. Sub sonic ammo is very handy when you need to be discrete. People inside homes don't hear anything, if outside they can hear something but its hard to tell what or where it came from, and of course sub sonic ammo as Wayne said is much less powerful. Beavers are tough thick skinned animals I would have so much preferred using standard ammo but I got to do what I got to do.

I really wish suppressors were legal in Canada, I would like to shoot when the mood hits me out on my property, but I really don't want to draw the kind of attention that gunfire can draw. I think the neighbors are pretty distant, but close enough that my noise will reach them. What was a the rationale behind making them illegal, anyway?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network