May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Ammo Storage

38 Posts
15 Users
0 Reactions
(@dascribbler)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How much Ammo should one store for emergencies?

Let's be clear here, I'm not talking about being prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse. I've seen a lot YouTube Video's where guys hoard tens of thousands of rounds expecting complete societal collapse, I think this is a little extreme (but I could be wrong).

How much Ammo should a reasonable person store for emergencies? An extended power outage, or bad storm could basically shut society down for several weeks requiring one to have to return to their roots and Hunt to keep food on the table and if bad enough possibly defend themselves and their family from predators.

The story of a guy who survived the Bosnian Conflict/War is floating around the forum and in an interview he recommends 2000 rounds of ammo for each Calibre of Firearm owned.

How much do you store if any? and How much do you think a smart person should have on hand just in case?

DaScribbler

(@singlecell)
Estimable Member

Hmm... not sure if wise choice to disclose such info. I am looking to pick up the Dominion 1000 rounds of 7.62 by 39 in the next week. Most of that is for training. Last time I bought bulk, I put a cap on 150 rounds and I won't go lower then that. I have that on me AT LEAST.

First off, I typically only prep for the fallout from foreign occupation, a massive blackout/emp/solar flare, or a nuclear strike.

I live in an urban environment, and although I've built up a storage to last me a month or two, bugging out is a strong possibility for me. In my ammo/range pack a UTG messenger bag... http://www.amazon.ca/UTG-Multi-functional-Tactical-Messenger-Green/dp/B002BJBIT0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424979251&sr=8-3&keywords=maxpedition+messenger

...I can only carry about 300-350 rounds tops before it gets real hefty. I'm a big guy, but lets cut the !@#$... long distance whether hiking or biking is harsh stuff. Am I to give up my shelter, sleep system, power battery, tool kit(compass, maps, multitool, bike maintenance kit, paracord, flares, lighters, can openers, and flashlights), my knives, water? With that much weight I can't even see carrying a secondary firearm, like a handgun or a small shotgun.

150-300 rounds on hand is fine for me. Any more then that is great, but it might be useless.

ReplyQuote
(@supermag)
Eminent Member

Better to have 10 more than you actually need, than 1 less that you actually have to use !!

Supermag

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Also, common calibers would make excellent barter items, assuming you thrust the person enough not to turn your ammo against you...

Maybe 1000 round of 308 or 7mm is overkill, but 1000 rounds of .22 wouldn't be in my opinion. I think Supermag got it right...

ReplyQuote
(@dascribbler)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input folks 🙂

Just trying to get an idea for some common sense guidelines.

Clearly it depends on what your prepping for. But for an extended power outage or bad storm shutting things down for awhile an extra box or 2 would be reasonable. Especially if you have to Bug Out, the extra weight would certainly be a factor.

Now if your prepping for the end of the world, well then I guess all bets are off...

Thanks again guys 🙂

DaScribbler

ReplyQuote
(@djrhibra)

Clearly you dont have enough ammo if your stash fits in a filling cabinet.

Seriously, ammo cans in the crawl space under my house is my "fire resistant" storage.

прикольные картинки, бесплатно 😉

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

2000 rounds of ammo is actually not that much. It likely depends on how many different calibres you need and how hard it is to find it, and if/how you are using it. I have only a .22 right now, but good 22 ammo is very hard to find in stock, so when I find it I stock up several bricks at a time. They come in 333 or 500 to a brick, so that's only 4 bricks. I am prepping for all-hazards type of SHTF situation, but I also target shoot. That is for home storage in a cabinet that has a dehumidifier packet, plus I shoot 1x or 2x weekly all year round, so I go through it pretty quick. I'm not sure I'd want to stock up too much if it was just sitting there, or being stored where it could deteriorate/was humid. Also, carrying more than a brick would be pretty heavy.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Agreed, 2000 rounds of .22 isn't enough to warm up my barrels. I use standard ammo boxes, this is 2 boxes from the 1980's, the ammo's just fine, I think 4000 rounds to a box. I don't use those desiccant packs for the same reason I don't wrap my food with biaxially orientated polyethylene terephthalate polyester film, I have never found it necessary. Never had a problem with deterioration, keep it dry,dont store it in or under your oven, don't spill your drink on it, and your good....have ammo over 100 years old, shoots just fine, though wasn't the original owner so I cant speak for previous storage.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@bramptonmike)

WTF is "biaxially orientated polyethylene terephthalate polyester film"?

If I can't hunt & fish in heaven then I don't want to go!
Vegetarian....old Indian word for lousy hunter!

ReplyQuote
(@blacksheep)
Eminent Member

2,000 per battle rifle
500 per hunting rifle
800 per primary handgun
2,000 per .22 rimfire
500 per riotgun

If you can afford it, three times those figures would meet the “comfort level” of most survivalists. In an age of inflation, consider that supply better than money in the bank

This is from the Survival Blog .

Although I think the 22 RF should be tripled as it will be the most used . Hunting ammo for the shotgun needs to be included and seems to have been missed .

The ammo expended in yearly skill development has to be factored in which puts these amounts on the low side .

ReplyQuote
(@blacksheep)
Eminent Member

2,000 per battle rifle
500 per hunting rifle
800 per primary handgun
2,000 per .22 rimfire
500 per riotgun

If you can afford it, three times those figures would meet the “comfort level” of most survivalists. In an age of inflation, consider that supply better than money in the bank

Although I think the 22 RF should be tripled as it will be the most used . Hunting ammo for the shotgun needs to be included and seems to have been missed .

The ammo expended in yearly skill development has to be factored in which puts these amounts on the low side .

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

2,000 per battle rifle
500 per hunting rifle
800 per primary handgun
2,000 per .22 rimfire
500 per riotgun

If we're talking simply in terms of storage (vs storage and usage) I think these numbers are typical of survivalist fantasies where everything will turn into shoot outs. The list above would set someone back a couple $1,000s which is great if all other sources of preparedness are sorted out. I really hope Canada wouldn't turn into a battlefield though.

That said, I think the number of .22 is a bit on the low side. Why? Because it's cheap to acquire, stores easily and could be great for barter if needs be. It would also be very efficient to teach someone how to shoot if needs be. I also don't think everyone out there will get to shoot 500 deer/moose before they are wiped out of the planet, so you may end up looking for racoons, squirrels, etc to put in the pot - 22 fodder really. Also, if you're around migration paths for waterfowl, I would contemplate having more than 500 rounds of 12 or 20 Ga.

Anyway, this is a topic where everyone can have an opinion and they're probably all right depending on perspectives.

ReplyQuote
(@jimbo-jones)
Estimable Member

I have heard 1000 per caliber you dont shoot and 3 times that if you do shoot it . This allows for availability problems . If you shoot lot you will know how much is enough for you. When you do start to shoot remember not to practice one form over another IE standing prone kneeling try shooting off hand and see how much you are effected by it. shooting 20 rds a week wont cut it if you are truly serious . BUT I am not saying you have to break the bank either. get a inexpensive small caliber and get good shooting cheap ammo before you think you need anything too costly.

My recommendations for cheap rifle shooting are the following calibers .22 .223 7.62x39 .308 7.62x54r the 7.62 calibers are Russian and you can pick up a cheap SKS or Mosin Nagant CHEAP (under 300$)
pistol calibers .22lr 9mm 7.62x25 and .45acp those are the common cheap ammos that you can buy in bulk which helps drive the cost down along with reloading

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

If we're talking simply in terms of storage (vs storage and usage) I think these numbers are typical of survivalist fantasies where everything will turn into shoot outs...

LOL Yes, that seems to be the case. For Survival storage (hunting aside), I can't imagine myself ever needing that much ammo. Then again I come from a one-shot one-kill perspective; that's a lot of bodies... 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@jimbo-jones)
Estimable Member

Once upon a time i was in that group.THEN I joined the military, now I know what it means to be in a high stress environment and what it does to fine motor skills. No I dont do that anymore but it sure does give you interesting stories. yes in low stress times it is possible to use one shot one bullet but in times of stress be aware ammo usage will go up

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network