May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Archery... Does it have a place in a SHTF situation ?.

30 Posts
10 Users
0 Reactions
(@jensen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I originally posted this on another forum and thought I would share here too:

As a kid growing up I spent a summer at the local archery club as part of a school program where we kids got to experience different activities such as kayaking, canoeing, archery etc. It was quite fun to learn how to shoot a bow and I did enjoy it. However I grew up in a military family and there was no time or motivation for archery so I never went back to archery.

Now as an adult and with an interest in hunting and prepping I found myself reading up on archery as I wanted to go hunting with a crossbow and a bow and in that context I was sure that archery might have a place in a SHTF situation. Surely if I can take a bow hunting for Deer now I can do it in a SHTF situation. So I decided to match up my hunting needs with my prepping needs and go ahead and get started :). Plus its silent and you don't need a PAL license to acquire said gear.

My first purchase was a brand new crossbow. Crossbows today are easy to aim with and relatively easy to pull the string too. Some models even come with cranking systems to make it very easy to use a crossbow. I was going into the shop to buy a Barnett Compound Crossbow but ended up buying an Excalibur Recurve crossbow instead. The Barnett uses a compound system versus the Excalibur's recurve system. So in English the Excalibur just has a string from one end of the bow on the crossbow to the other end and the Barnett uses small wheels etc to increase speed and hitting power. To replace the string on the Barnett I would have to use a bow press which is usually at home or in a bow shop. With the Excalibur I could do it easy and even while hunting should the string break. The draw weight and speed on the recurve crossbow was compatible with the specs on the compound models so no difference there. Its just easier and faster to replace the string. The accessories for crossbows matched what we see for rifles. Red dot aim point's, scope, laser (?...) etc. Personally I went for a scope on my crossbow. Ranges for hunting are short compared to rifle but just to aid with bolt placement I thought it would be a good investment. It turned out to be a good decision. The scope was easy to zero and I used 25 yards for my zero and will make adjustments if shooting at longer ranges accordingly. I got a carrying case and extra strings. Using it for hunting has been fun.
However going for silly things like rabbit I have lost a few bolts so I bought an extra 24 bolts and a hard case to store them in and put away for prepping purposes. Another item that I used a lot and damaged a few while hunting was the broad heads. So again I went ahead and bough a bunch of broad heads that I could use for both my crossbow bolts and for my bow arrows. There is a wide variety of exotic broad heads on the market today and some can be very expensive. There is a variety of opinions of what is the best etc. As I have not tried the expensive models myself but was advised that cheaper broad heads would work "just fine" I have always stuck to cheap broad heads. I have had no issues with using them at all and I am sure I would experience faster drops of Deer when using some of the expensive exotic broad heads. I am sure they are worth the money. I just went with volume instead of more quality. These I have bought at Wal-Mart or on Ebay and I bought both the 100 grams and the 125 grams broad heads. To put these away safely I bought some more small storage boxes through Ebay specifically for broad heads. I ended up with 5 boxes full for both my crossbow and my hunting bows below. So far so good that was the easy part...

For bow hunting you can go with a recurve bow and a compound bow as with the crossbow above and for exactly the same reasons with the crossbow. I knew I wanted something on the cheaper side without being useless so I tried Ebay for a used bow. I quickly realised that there are many more compound bows for sale than recurve so before I went ahead I bought myself a small bow press so I could change strings myself on the compound bows. Used compound bows are fairly cheap on ebay and in many cases you get a hard or a soft case and some arrows etc with the bow. I bought two compound bows that matched my specs so I could use them comfortably and then another two with different specs (for longer arms etc). The last two I would have on hand for bartering etc and were bought on a whim as they were so cheap it would be silly to pass them up (less than $100 each with hard cases and different accessories. I got extra strings again and some releases and a new sight to replace one that I didn't like after seeing it.

Storing enough arrows for 2 bows and some for bartering away either alone or with the two other bows would be expensive. I was lucky though that through a local archery club they were selling arrows "found" onsite which were sold off once of year to help raise money for the club in bulk. I ended up buying 200. Cleaned them up and put on new vanes where necessary etc. I ended up buying a fletching jig and some specific fletching tools as its easier to do correctly wit a tool than it is trying to do without. I so realised that I should stock up and put away some extra bags of vanes, peep sights, nocks and inserts to replace damaged one's in my arrows. That should help me through a SHTF situation. All the arrows was again packed away into those great hard plastic cases that most places sell for archers. Safely stored away I am using additional for practice and hunting and I now know that I have lots of arrows set aside for SHTF.

Using the bows I ended up with a few different releases, armguards, quivers and the usual gear that any bow hunting or just archery enthusiast has. I had no issues buying extra as I can use it for barter if I have too and my two boys will get much enjoyment out of it all anyway.

I have not yet bought any recurve bows but its on the agenda. I think getting two recurve along with some 80-100 wooden arrows and 5 strings for each should be enough.

Maintenance on the crossbow and the bows is very simple. Inspect the string before and after a hunt for signs of weakening. Apply simple wax on the strings whether its a crossbow string or a bow string. I wipe down and clean obvious dirt off the bows before putting them away and have at the start of the hunting season and at the end of the season applied oil to all metal screws.

With bows you have to practice to hit consistently. To be honest my main practice periods are up to hunting seasons. I don't go to the archery range when not preparing for hunting. Admittedly you should probably practice all year around. But as so many other people I only have so many hours a day for all my activities so it comes down to priorities. I will say though that its enough for me to go hunting and be successful in hunting Deer. I am no competition shooter and my archery skills are purely for practical purposes as in Hunting. With my crossbow I am even more "relaxed". The boys and I have fun shoots with it and I make sure that its still zeroed every time we play with it. But that's it. Apart from that I don't go specifically and practice hitting groups as in rifle shooting. Should I ?. I am not sure. A crossbow is very forgiving once its zeroed in. A bit like picking up an old rifle from the gun cabinet. Its not been fired in a few years but its still zeroed as its not been messed with and will still produce good groupings for you. So in my experience some practice IS necessary but there is no need to overdo it unless you really enjoy archery.

Defensive use of archery ?... I would not recommend it. Sure if you have nothing else available its better than nothing for range shots or using the crossbow as in the Walking Dead show for close quarters. Even for the famous "taking out a guard silently scenario" I would hesitate. You have to be 100% sure you hit AND kill if you are not to give away your presence so I would not gamble it. Admittedly you may be in a situation where you have no other options than to try it but it would have to be a last resort thing for me. These tools will never replace rifles for me at least.

So for me the crossbow and the bows are for hunting. They are silent tools that will keep your whereabouts secret for people outside your area. You can improvise new bolts and arrows from scratch should you need to or you can make them cheating like me with prepped vanes etc. I would certainly recommend anyone to seriously consider getting one or two bows cheap and do some practice and then store away some arrows and some accessories for a SHTF situation. If they have a practical use now that will double in a SHTF situation.

Should you have any specific questions to my overview here I would be happy to answer and direct you in your quest. If you are in my area and want to try out archery we can organise a meet and a trial session at the local range which also facilitates archery. Send me a PM and I will do my best to help you out.

Jensen

(@tinfoilhats)
Trusted Member

I've been learning instinctive archery for the last year or so. I wanted a no fuss simple bow and a recurve suited what I need. On a good day I can hit the target consistently from 20-40 yards. However....today I tried taking out one of the squirrels that torments my garbage and was digging up corn seeds today....I ended up losing 5 carbon arrows, and killing 0 squirrels. LOL So... the point of my story is you need to practice, practice, practice for a bow to be of any use when you really need it. Back to practicing for me! I will get this squirrel one day!

😉

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have spent 25 years in archery and just getting back into guns in the last couple years. My fingers go asleep now after just a few shots and changing over to releases wasn't in the cards for me as teaching this old dog a new trick is sometimes hard. We have a crossbow and I don't quite take to it either as it is heavy and awkward. The option of using such weapons for prepping is therefore one I think I can add my honest opinion on with confidence.

I spent alot on archery as a hobby and for hunting. Not only does a decent bow cost the price of a rifle, arrows are now running about $10-15 each when you include the broadhead to the total cost per arrow. Therefore when you lose an arrow such as TinfoilHats mentions, it adds up quickly. This same pricing occurs with crossbow bolts and you can lose them even easier as they are shorter and shot at almost twice the poundage.

I used to make my own arrows from bulk purchase. I often bought throwaway wood shafts to use as Flu-Flu bird arrows for those on the fly, and even spent a winter hunting with bow to see how well I could do.... I only lost alot of arrows due to the bows limbs grow deader with each degree of temperature drop. Since the natives must have hunted in the winter, so would I. 😳 I got to the point that I only shot with a tree as a backstop so I could at least dig the arrow out.

It is with all this experience and knowing the investment it cost for fletching jigs, shafts, broadheads, vanes, arrow straighteners, bow press, etc., that I suggest it not be very high on your prepper list. In retrospect, a high powered pellet gun is likely the best silent weapon you could invest in.

You have to shoot at least 6 arrows a day to stay in good shooting form. While shooting, you practice the draw(while working those muscles daily so you can do it easily at high poundage), you learn the cock(angle) of your wrist, your grip (or open hand shoot as I do), your anchor(the anchor point your draw to consistently) , the cock of your elbow, the projected trajectory path of the arrow (mental judgement practice) and lastly, your release. If you do any of these differently than your usual form, the arrow does not make it's predicted mark! So unless you have alot of time to dedicate to archery, I'd suggest to save your money for other stuff of higher priority first.

BTW, I owned both recurve and compound bows at the same time and found to be truly skilled with one, I had to completely give up shooting the other. The recurve was a bare bow and I shot instinctively(no sights). One's judgement gets altered when shooting another bow and interferes with the natural instincts somehow. Second, your draw is shorter on recurve due to the further you draw, the harder it gets, which is untrue with compounds. Third, your anchor point, elbow position, everything including your stance is therefore different. Thus, it is better to be a master of one than to be lesser at both!

ReplyQuote
(@tinfoilhats)
Trusted Member

That said...it sure is a satisfying hobby when you hit targets instinctive shooting...much more so than firearms related sports I find.

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

All good points knuckles and Tinfoilhats and very valid too.

To me it works out with little practice but we are all different and I only need to hit the lung part of the deer. My broad head will do the actually killing by slicing through the lungs and effectively drowning the deer for me. But I also enjoy bow hunting so that works out well as Hunting deer is really what its all about for me now and in a shtf situation. What I enjoy doing today just have a practical use in a shtf situation.

My only comment and advice here regarding the cost. Go have a look at Ebay if you are interested in adding archery to your preps. Get an older bow as they are super cheap as in less than $ 100. Honestly if you could take deer with them 20 years ago you can do so now and in another 20 years. You do not necessarily have to go out and buy a brand new cool Compound bow (although they are awesome !) a used bow can do the same thing. Just make sure the string is good and you have it properly maintained. You can find arrows and broad heads there cheap too although knuckles are right it can get pricey so look for deals or used. But know what you want the archery for. If you have no plans to hunt in a shtf situation or only want to hunt with a rifle then archery would be a waste of money. However if you are going to hunt deer, you want to do it silently and with a bow. Well then maybe my advice and my way of doing it can help you or inspire you to find your way of prepping archery.

You still need to learn how to shoot the bow and do some level of practice. I guess it individual opinions on how much you need. But you cannot do this successfully without some practice.

Knuckles you mentioned a high powered pellet gun and I had a friend that I used to hunt grouse and rabbits with after normal hunt. I would bring a small 20 gauge shotgun and he would bring his high powered pellet gun. I must admit to being very sceptical at first... However he did prove me wrong and did actually manage to harvest both grouse and rabbits with it. Now it did have a distinct loud crack when fired. But I doubt that that sound be heard from 1 kilometer away. Now I don't know if it could I just think it was loud to us but I don't think it was loud enough to be heard far away.

Have you got any experiences with these high powered pellet guns knuckles ?. Am I right in saying that rabbits is probably the biggest kill you can make with a high powered pellet gun ?. After seeing my friends out hunting effectively I am seriously considering adding one to the inventory just for grouse and rabbits.

ReplyQuote
(@tinfoilhats)
Trusted Member

I was looking into a good pellet rifle a while back and these Weirauch's seemed to be the bee's knee's for all the guys in the UK into "ratting"

http://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Weihrauch/021_HW_97_KL.html

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

There are alot of dangers in buying a used bow on EBay. If a compound bow is ever dry fired(released from full draw with no arrow), the limbs often crack, especially in the crotch where the pulley is located. These are hard to spot and you must look close as the bow can easily injure the shooter when it breaks. This is often the reason people sell their bow as they are afraid of it after a dry fire. One cannot check it over on EBay previous to purchasing, so I'd either request good close up photos from various perspectives or not take the risk.

As for pellet guns, I mentioned in another thread here that I carried a pellet gun often when guiding to shoot small game as my tourists already had high powered rifles. In this way I didn't scare away a moose while getting lunch. Seems the old pellet guns had more power as many of these new ones can kill crap unless you buy high powered ones with your PAL license. I don't have a decent one these days but do intend on purchasing either a 1200 fps .177 cal or a 800 fps .22 cal to remedy that soon. I can't say I'd look at TinfoilHat's weapon of choice as it is rather pricey. I will opt for the Umarex Surge XT Air Rifle(.177 cal) for $150 or the Benjamin Titan™ NP Break-Barrel Air Rifle (.22 cal) for $160. My son left one of those pump-up pellet guns from Crappy Tire for $130 and it seems to only annoy the local squirrels when I shoot them, but little else!

I admit that I do miss archery but gave it up the same way I gave up riding hardtails after 21 years(motorcycles with no shocks on the frame). Seems old age isn't all our elders said it would be 👿 Arthritis and sore backs are becoming part of the daily routine I often spray some WD40 on my hands to even pull a few wrenches some days as it fixes the pain better than any pill ever can 😆 (another tidbit of knowledge there boy!)

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There are alot of dangers in buying a used bow on EBay. If a compound bow is ever dry fired(released from full draw with no arrow), the limbs often crack, especially in the crotch where the pulley is located. These are hard to spot and you must look close as the bow can easily injure the shooter when it breaks. This is often the reason people sell their bow as they are afraid of it after a dry fire. One cannot check it over on EBay previous to purchasing, so I'd either request good close up photos from various perspectives or not take the risk.
quote]

Very true. You have to be careful with purchasing on Ebay. When I did shop on Ebay I used Paypal for payments and if I had found a crack in any of the compound bows I purchased and it was not mentioned in the description I would make a claim through Paypal and Ebay. That is their policy to ensure that you do not get ripped off. But of course even with that you have the hassle and time invested in doing so.

I have been lucky I have not had any issues with the 4 compound bows I purchased through Ebay. They were all reasonably described and although one came with rusty screws etc I had little work to get them ready. But that does not mean that you will be lucky every time :). Do your homework. Check the pictures like knuckles suggest here. Read the description and even submit a question or several to ensure that the bow is okay. That way you cover yourself and get your money back with no issues should you receive a faulty bow or a bow with damages not mentioned. Never buy a bow described "as if". That suggest to me the owner knows about issues but don't want to describe them. Inspect the bow upon delivery and check against the description and communication you may have had with the seller. Any variance you should make a claim through Ebay. The seller does not get his money until after 30 days of payment so you have some time to receive the bow and make inspection. Once you have made a claim the seller will not get paid until its been arbitrary dealt with.

Now off to the archery range :). I feel inspired...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I guess that you could score some good deals thru EBay then but I have lost a few times (out of 50+ purchases) without trying something I consider as risky. I buy mostly new items on EBay as it is still cheaper than buying here where I live.

Some hints: (in case you haven't already discovered them yourself)

- buy green florescent nocks as they are the first thing I often spot when arrow hunting. Why they show up better, I don not know but I convert as many arrows as I can due to this little detail.
- I also run a second layer of fletching glue around every vane (I know it creates more drag) as it keeps the arrows complete alot longer this way.
- Tie a 3" piece of light thread under each arrow tip to show me windage as I draw without having to use talcom powder or whatever others seem to use.
- Don't use those quivers that attach to the bow as each arrow used affects the balance of the bow.
- practice resting the arrow between the middle and index finger of your bow hand while you draw, and then set it on the rest after. This eliminates the sound of the shaft dragging on the rest as you draw.
- shoot with open bow hand and have bow rest on palm, with bow's pressure as straight to arm as possible. This eliminates a cocked wrist affecting the release.(while using wrist strap so you don't drop the bow)
- shooting blind helps you concentrate on what your hands are doing as you release. Practice shooting 10 ft away from butt with eyes closed. You can't possibly miss and you can now focus totally on grip, wrist cock, elbow, breathing, and release.
- try shooting with a finger tab only, to feel the whole process better, especially with recurve or longbow for instinctual shooting.
- don't practice with stabilizers and such if you are not going to hunt with them too....
- practice with cheap arrows so you can shoot them properly when hunting
- quit shooting at ranges where you know the distance to target. Shoot at uknown distances to hone your instinctual judgement as any other skill

ReplyQuote
(@ottawalonewolf)
Trusted Member

I've been learning instinctive archery for the last year or so. I wanted a no fuss simple bow and a recurve suited what I need. On a good day I can hit the target consistently from 20-40 yards. However....today I tried taking out one of the squirrels that torments my garbage and was digging up corn seeds today....I ended up losing 5 carbon arrows, and killing 0 squirrels. LOL So... the point of my story is you need to practice, practice, practice for a bow to be of any use when you really need it. Back to practicing for me! I will get this squirrel one day!

😉

hi Tinfoilhats ? where do you train ? I believe Academy of Duello has such program. That's the only one I know in GVA.

Knuckle ! your post is amazing thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

If you aren't going to practice regularly a bow just gives you a false sense of security. In your SHTF situation you need everything to work, and work well when you are probably less than your best.
Get a good crossbow, and by good I mean nothing less than an Excalibur.
Compound crossbows don't last, you need a recurve. The only thing you need is spare strings and you can replace those yourself without special equipment.
Crossbows are very accurate to beyond 40 yards - every shot. You don't dare shoot at the same point twice when practicing because the odds are you'll damage your previous arrow or the fletching. This is exactly what you want when every shot has to count.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The only bow now that is still in my house is a Barnett Revolution crossbow the wife owns. Our neighbor killed a nuisance bear in our yard a few years back with his crossbow as we didn't want MNR after us and then going thru the house for weapons. As we get alot of bears here, the wife wanted a bow she could shoot if she so wished. The thing is heavy at 8.5 lbs without the quiver mounted.

The flaw with any composite limb is that any drop in temperature has a great effect in the accuracy of the weapon therefore not taking a practice shot before hand in such conditions will often lead to a wounding instead of a clean kill. Having an arrow found later with your numbers on it (or other identifying features) stuck in an animal might be frowned upon.

Now what I see many don't consider is with either the bow or crossbow, you have an expense factor that is high. The weapons main value is their quietness. Yet the lack of shock from impact allows the game to travel before they die as they run on adrenalin by reflex alone. To become a bow hunter or crossbow hunter therefore requires you to learn many other aspects such as tracking and all leads back to perfecting the arrow placement when you initially shoot. Shoot high and the animal has just internal bleeding and no blood trail...good luck with finding your prey as tracking again isn't as simple as television portrays. So you must get good at shooting if you expect the rewards from trying to kill with it! If your not willing to go all the way to be good, why start? I blew $2000 in archery and gear back when it would be like $3000 at least by now!

Now the pellet rifle is my new best friend. I shoot it daily as my shooting range is just out my back door. I now have a Gamo Shadow Walker that I showed before all camoed up. It cost me $100 used and I now have $200 total into it as the original scope was junk. I replaced it with a Bushnell air rifle 3-9 x 50 and make consistent hits and kills at 25 yards on partridge and other small critters. I don't proclaim all kinds of great distance as pellets have too much inconsistency in exact sizing to be reliable beyond that.

Here is my shooting range. The metal targets are at 17 yards and the paper is at 25 Yards. The metal target is really for 22's but the bottom ones still swing when hit by a 1200 fps .177 pellet. This is my lazy man's way of knowing it was a kill shot. The paper is for sighting in mostly as I have to walk there and back when in doubt as my 20 x 60 spotting scope often doesn't show all. If you look over to the left closely you can even see the steel frame of my hanging archery bag stand. No, we don't shoot the rottweiler! 🙄

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

LOL Knuckle I am not sure what to make of your post :).

You always tell a good story and I do enjoy that. But what was the point here ?. You can kill a Bear with a crossbow ?. Weather can affect accuracy ?. Shot placement is vital for success ?. Archery equipment is quiet ?.You need to be able to track your game ?. It cost you $2000 to get into archery ?. A Pellet rifle is awesome ? or did you just want to show off your dog and backyard 🙂

The discussion I initiated here was whether Archery would be useful in a shtf situation and if so I showed how I prepped this cheaply and how to ensure success in a shtf situation being an (experienced) Hunter today would help. If I have missed your point somehow I do apologise Knuckle.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

LOL Knuckle I am not sure what to make of your post :).

You always tell a good story and I do enjoy that. But what was the point here ?. You can kill a Bear with a crossbow ?. Weather can affect accuracy ?. Shot placement is vital for success ?. Archery equipment is quiet ?.You need to be able to track your game ?. It cost you $2000 to get into archery ?. A Pellet rifle is awesome ? or did you just want to show off your dog and backyard 🙂

The discussion I initiated here was whether Archery would be useful in a shtf situation and if so I showed how I prepped this cheaply and how to ensure success in a shtf situation being an (experienced) Hunter today would help. If I have missed your point somehow I do apologise Knuckle.

Sorry man...brain farts make the mind wander! 😆

The bow is indeed a good weapon but I doubt that many here will have the patience to get good at hunting with it as the incentive is likely more as a backup than as a hobby. I tried shooting in a few archery lanes in the city with Ratts as he showed me how city folks did things. Many there could outshoot me (including Ratts) as this is their terf and they know it well. But animals don't stand still while you determine the distance and unless you've already killed a few critters with your bow, your going to be losing arrows as you perfect the skills as most of us did along the way too. Ratts later came out gopher hunting with me in farmer's fields where I was more at home...far more fun and you all need to try it!

How many know the difference of shooting a recurve in winter to summer versus the compound? You can at least adjust for the limb's power loss by drawing further on a recurve whereas you can't with a compound. And the power loss is so hard to predict and compensate for. You won't understand the issues though until you try it! I lost many arrows trying to master the winter hunt and failed often. For survival, I suggest you park the bow when winter comes and trap instead.

I used to buy alot of wood shafts and use rubber blunts as they were cheapest throw away arrow I could make. After shooting each arrow, I would bow the shaft by bending it to see if it broke, rotate it and do it again! This is so they don't shatter upon release instead where they might damage my bow or me. High poundage bows are hard on wooden shafts, especially smacking trees intentionally to save losing them in the snow! With all the tricks I knew I still pissed away alot of money, but this was still a hobby I enjoyed so I sucked it up. So whats the bottom line!

Bullets are cheaper and the rifle more reliable!

So were back to the silent aspect as it's main and only selling feature then. Yes, it takes down large game. But many wouldn't even know where to place the arrow either. On a moose your best shot is for the hump as this takes out the front legs and you won't have to walk so far hauling quarters later. I should have maybe mentioned archer's good luck saying we use is "shoot low"! This is a reminder we often give so there will be a blood trail to follow as the wound can then bleed out. We often shoot higher as a precaution for loss of trajectory, yet this aspect is dangerous in bow hunting. No hump shooting with a bow...But to even get close enough for that kill shot the hunter has to master the skill of stalking far better than if you just used a rifle. Animals have a keen sense of smell and so you must learn to mask this stink we carry and also stalk from downwind of the prey.

So much to take in if you are just beginning and much requires a lifetime to perfect. I was still learning daily when I quit... but I now find that I am a far better rifle hunter due to having bow hunted for so long. I used to sit and watch game hit the bait when I guided( and learned so much from such things back then)...the patience I once had is no longer there as I now think of other things I should be doing instead. Seems that life sped up or I'm just slowing down too much as I now spend way too much time on a keyboard instead!

And Although I didn't put much time into scouting this year, I haven't even got my moose with a rifle! It seems that the moose and deer are scarce this year and trappers have mentioned that even the wolves are skinny. This is a bad sign and there is talk of disease maybe being the problem. We once put a bounty on the wolves back in the 70's trying to bring back the deer population and it only made things worse. That is because the wolf often takes the weak and the sick before a disease can spread.... Knowing when not to hunt a species so it can recover is another factor folks might not consider if they aren't initially from here. Last year we were just low on partridge and high on fox numbers! Even nature has cycles.

Now that crossbow might still have potential but I somehow seem to shy from it like it has neon sign attached that reads "rookie who can't master a bow" which shines directly above my head and just out of one's field of vision... I should play with it but haven't quite gotten rid of the bad taste 30 years of archery put there as they are so slow and cumbersome in comparison.

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Great read Knuckle :). Thanks for sharing and providing input. We just zeroed our Crossbows last week in the cold snow weather so when we go up north for our last week of hunting we should be set to go. Never thought about or learned about the weather affecting the limb but I guess it makes sense. I guess top advice if using archery into shtf would be to practice archery hunting actively today. You may not have time post shtf.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network