May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

One Pistol

52 Posts
29 Users
0 Reactions
(@cranky1)

ruger mk11, glock 17. Both easy to shoot and very reliable.cheers

ReplyQuote
JackDee
(@jackdee)
Trusted Member

Glock 17, with expansion kit.

Regret comes last, if it comes early its called registration!

In the end, only fellow preppers truly respects other preppers.
When nothing happens, the world will laugh at you.
When SHTF, what will happen when they found out you got supplies?

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Glock 17, hands down.

Like the pickup truck of guns...

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@ranger001)

I have shot and owned several pistols, and I would say if I could only have one I would also say the Glock 17. Things I always thinking about when it comes to buying a pistol are;
- What is the availability and price of accessories like holsters and after market parts.
- How much, and how easy is it to get extra mags
- Spare parts/upgraded parts
- Availability of ammo
With all these things Glock is very easy to find any of those things, and for the most part not over priced.
Also in a doomsday situation where I'm going to have to carry this pistol everyday and possible for a long time, the light weight Glock 17 makes for a good everyday carry.

ReplyQuote
(@oldmanprepper)

I think the question was "if you could only have 1 pistol" , so I opted for the 9mm. If you want to progress into handguns properly, I too agree that the 22 cal is the way to approach this. You get lots of practice for cheap and swapping guns at the range is fun, especially when it costs you little. 😉

Thanks,Im getting my rpal next week and was wondering what was the smartest"one gun choice" is too.

ReplyQuote
(@maple-leaf-pilgrim)
Estimable Member

I would recommend that anybody getting a pistol do a bit of research and determine which one will work best for them. I have my preferences based on my time in various units and having had to actually use them. I will suggest that while one pistol may fit the bill for person "A", it may not fit the bill for person "B". So your best bet is to go out to a range that has handgun rentals and blatting off a bunch of rounds through various pistols and make notes on comfort of use, manual at arms (the way you make the gun do what you want it to), reliability, accuracy and durability. Many will say "Glock", I say "Glock, maybe", it all depends upon how comfortable you are with the pistol. If its not comfortable, you won't practice with it. You don't practice with it, you won't gain proficiency with it. You don't gain proficiency with it, you're a danger to yourself and others.

Oh and get training from a reputable, experienced and qualified source for instruction.

As for caliber, 9x19mm NATO (AKA 9mm LUGER and 9mm Parabellum) is my recommendation as well. Reason being that in any Western nation the 9x19mm NATO round is standard issue with Regular Armed Forces units and therefore if a situation happens, you won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a crate of the stuff.

-S.

"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Glock 17 (9mm). Then get the advantage arms .22 conversion kit. Train using the .22, then Fine tune with the 9mm.

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

If it's correct to assume that the question pertains to an indoor tactical handgun application, I would choose a Glock 17 (9mm). The Model 19 is more concealable and can use a 30 round mag, but I find that it bites my hand every once in a while and I've never quite have been as comfortable with it.

I prefer 9mm because the ammo is interchangeable with the Uzi and the MP5. In tactical situations I've carried both. I prefer 9mm, but .40 Cal is acceptable. I dislike the TTRT of the .45 so the 9mm is my choice.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

I just can't get a comfortable grip on the g17 or 19.
I just started in idpa, trying the ppx. Comfortable grip for me, positive mag release. A bit large for concealed carry, but with a good holster you can pull it off.

All in all I think the m&p 9, the ppx(ppq if you have the extra cash) are good starters.
The glocks are everywhere, reliable and if its comfortable, a great choice.

ReplyQuote
RachelM
(@rachelm)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just can't get a comfortable grip on the g17 or 19.
I just started in idpa, trying the ppx. Comfortable grip for me, positive mag release. A bit large for concealed carry, but with a good holster you can pull it off.

All in all I think the m&p 9, the ppx(ppq if you have the extra cash) are good starters.
The glocks are everywhere, reliable and if its comfortable, a great choice.

I ended up actually winning a Glock 19 in a charity raffle, and I agree that the grip just isn't right for me even after I added a palm swell grip. My father has an M&P that I like better, and I also enjoy my mother's 1911 .45 cal now that I've had the chance to feel some out.

ReplyQuote
(@black-badge)

You need to find a handgun that fits you. Get to a range and try as many as you can find. One of them will be a fit for you.

I shoot best with a Beretta 92FS...but you know something? If the SHTF and I could only take one combination with me I'd choose my S&W .357 revolver. Very solid gun...offers the option of using .357 or .38 Special...very few moving parts (little to go wrong) and my wife shoots it as well as I do.

There is something to be said for a .22 -- especially if you are going to need to be mobile. You can carry 500 rounds of .22 that have the same weight as 50 rounds of .357 or 9mm. The tradeoff is that the .22 isn't a very powerful round.

Try a variety. Find what fits. Practice with it until your hands know how to use it without thinking about what you need to do.

BB

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

There are an increasing number of offerings in 22 mag and 17hmr now as well.

While less stopping power than 9mm, there is a substantial weight saving.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Glock 17 9mm.

Reliable. Eats anything. Magazines, used brass, loaded ammo, all easy to find. User friendly

You get what you pay for, and it's worth every penny. (Mic drop:)

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

I should add. ANYONE near nanaimo is welcome to come try mine. I always look for a good excuse to go to the range!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@bramptonmike)

Browning Hi Power has been my go to gun for 30+ years now! Love my .45ACP but the capacity of the 9mm plus the abundant availability of ammo rocks!

If I can't hunt & fish in heaven then I don't want to go!
Vegetarian....old Indian word for lousy hunter!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network