May 13, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The one gun that does it all ... best choice for SHTF/Prepper?

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@laz-1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Actually, there is no perfect answer to the one gun question. But after years as professional gunsmith, firearms dealer, competitive shooter, and gunaholic, I have come as close as I can get for myself.
Maybe as close as anyone can get?

The one gun I choose is the Chinese / Canadian M14 rifles. These are incredible values, have been getting better and better for quality control over their decades long run, and one of the few Military type semi auto rifles NOT RESTRICTED in Canuckistan. These rifles are labelled either as 7.62 NATO, or .308 Win, depending on which batch they came in with. In reality, regardless of what it says on the outside, most of these rifles have long chambers, more suitable for the thicker, stronger cases in 7.62 NATO. A gunsmith check of the head space will reveal if any individual Chinese M14 is suitable for the safe use of .308 WIN ammunition. in my experience, about 1/3 of these rifles, especially the newer ones, have SAMMI spec .308 Win head space.
As a former professional gunsmith, with decades of extensive experience on GENUINE US GI M14 rilfes, and the American and Chinese clones, I feel that a Chinese M14, in good condition, or possibly with a few US GI parts as upgrades, is the best bang for the buck available in Canada for a prepper rifle. If I could only have one guns, this is the gun I would grab in a SHTF situation.

The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

I agree, they are good value! Right caliber, and proven track record. Better receiver than most M1As.

Problem is, weight. Magnified once you add the aftermarket stocks and optics or scout mount. I had the MagWedge bolt release on mine, and a few upgrades. Unitized the gas system, upgraded op Rod spring guide, etc. fun gun. Just sold it. Only some mags and a bolt tool left.

Finally made the switch to a stag 10. Spendy, but without optics came in at 7 lbs! (Also non-restricted). Highly customizable, and definitely a more accurate rifle . Mags are lighter, pic rail built in. Takes a lot of AR parts.

A solid recommend.

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@laz-1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I can not argue with you ...
we agree on just about everything.

Except I am a retired gentleman of leisure, on a fixed income,
So BUDGET is one of my highest priorities.
If I had extra $$$ to spend, I certainly would be looking at the STAG AR 10.

But,
I got my new, unfired Norinco M305 shorty Socom clone, for $400.
Can't beat that any where for bang for the buck.
(:-[)

How do you like the STAG?
Any teething issues?
Tight chamber ( 7.62 NATO not recommended?)
Carbine or rifle length gas system?
Overgassed ( the extractor trys to rip through the case rim leaving a mark?)
Do you use the plastic Pmags?

With my DPMS AR10s, I found the Pmags much more reliable than the factory DPMS metal mags.

All my DPMS AR10 rifles were MOA or better with factory ammo they liked ...RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!! Can't say thst about any of the ( hundreds) of M14 rifles I owned. Although, my BLACKFEATHER CHASSIS M14 builds have been known to shoot MOA.

PS: Do you want to sell me your spare M14 magazines? I could use them. I sold all my mags to a buddy last year, when I was out of 14s, and he won't sell them back.
(;-[(.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

PM on the way for the mags!

That’s an awesome price for the shorty!

To answer- the Stag has been my favorite since I got it. The only teething issues were my crappy reloads when I left the brass Un-trimmed and the OAL a little long. Not the gun’s fault! It has ran perfectly otherwise!

I use both .308 and 7.62 service rifle loads without issue. Chamber is fine!

Rifle length gas system.

Mildly over gassed. Added a heavier buffer to accommodate. Ejection still at 2 o’clock versus 4:30 where I want it.

I only use Pmags now:)

Accuracy from the gun is better than I can reliably do LOL.

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@laz-1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Great!!
All the right answers.
Nice to hear that the STAG is working out for you..

I prefer reviews and recommendatipns from people like you owners with real world experience. While I have considerable experience with the AR family, the Canadian non restricted STAG is a new kid on the block for Canada.

PS: there is a guy in the US building insanely light AR 10 rifles.
He has them down to 5 lbs.

Insanely light ...
But he says, properly set uo, they do not kick too bad. My beautiful Ruger American Stainless compact weighed 5 lbs. It was a one holer ... but 20 rds through that one, and you knew you had been to the range ...
(;-[)

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

I got mine in a lightweight setup. 7lbs, 11 oz.

But, after that, saving a few ounces starts to add cost steeply for levels of diminishing returns.

Kick is no worse than a badly setup .223.

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Did you get my PM, LAZ?

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@laz-1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

got your PM on this site.
I tried to reply to the email address you sent me, but my Outlook broke.
Soon, I will be wandering around Az for a few weeks, and should be able to pick up some US GI mags at reasonable prices.

I have a drill and a rivet gun in.the truck to limit them to 5 rds. I prefer surplus US GI M14 mags over all others. They are HARDER than the others, and always fit properly. I find most M1A mags are tight in our metric equivalent Chinese 14s.
thanks

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I would have thought a 22 rimfire was the one gun that does it all/best choice.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Oh Peppercorn, you Cooey fanboys need to get with the times. 😆

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

If you want the one gun ammo can be scrounged for easily, cheap to buy, easy to learn on, and good for small game... Then yes, .22 it is.

If you want something good for any game in North America, with higher capacity and the opportunity for hand loading and shots beyond 25-50 yards , then .308.

Depends on what purpose you see as your need.

My ‘learning to shoot’ days are over. I reload. I like ringing gongs at distance. So for me, .308 it is. YMMV.

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I like .308 for larger game so this would be my caliber of choice if I was restricted to only one firearm. You can snare smaller animals and birds so a .22 would be of limited use for hunting. It's positive to have, but not at the exclusion of a larger caliber imo.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@gallowshumour)
Trusted Member

if I could have only one firearm, it would be a double-barrel 12 GA coach gun like the CZ Hammer Classic Side-By-Side, or one of the Baikal double-barrel hammer guns (provided the government ever lifts the embargo on Russian imports). Coupled with a Chiappas X-Calibre barrel insert kit, and maybe additional inserts for .22LR and .410, and you could fire 12 GA slugs, buckshot and birdshot, 380 ACP, 9MM, 357 MAG, 40 S&W, 44 MAG, 45 ACP, 45 COLT, 20 GA, 22LR and .410 shells. You can also fire 12 GA aerial flares in case of you need to signal for help.

In a world where ammunition could be hard to come by, and where scrounging and adaption will be the norm, I think this is the smartest route. Not to mention that break-breach SXS guns are simple, easy to maintain and can be broken down for hiding in a backpack; you can't argue with the logic.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

For anything semi auto, make sure you stock a few parts. And be cautious with ammo and oil in cold weather. We learned the stag doesn’t like Israeli ammo in the winter(powder doesn’t produce enough pressure to cycle in the cold.)

I hate the one gun theme, too many variables.

12g with adaptors? Yes you can scrounge ammo but it isn’t accurate at any distance. In general I’m not a fan of 12g because of how many loads there are already. I wouldn’t want birdshot loaded up when I get a shot on a deer or a bear coming at me. But that’s a personal dislike, ymmv. Weigh per round is also a bone of contention for me.

For pure survival my 22lr.
personal defence, predators, varmints, hunting mid sized game etc, my semi auto rifle(223/x39)
Large/ dangerous game it’s my bolt 308.

Luckily I have family members with hands should we ever have to leave. So I hope to never be that restricted.

ReplyQuote
(@jimjonesinbc)

Any rethink because of the OIC shadow ban?

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network