May 16, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Are you prepping for the coronavirus?

105 Posts
15 Users
0 Reactions
10.9 K Views
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

U.S death rate of those infected now at 3.2% and climbing. Spain, Italy, UK and France all above 10%. Germany is right at 1.87% and South Korea is at 1.9%. Something really good is going on with the health care in those two countries.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

U.S death rate of those infected now at 3.2% and climbing. Spain, Italy, UK and France all above 10%. Germany is right at 1.87% and South Korea is at 1.9%. Something really good is going on with the health care in those two countries.

I think the statistics game has more to do with tested people : deaths than infected people : deaths.

South Korea had extensive testing going on. So, if you test 1 million people, that you find 100,000 are infected and of which 98,130 survive, its good odds.

If you test just those bad enough that they report to hospital, you're likely to get the worse cases, the sampling is less and the death rate appears much higher.

I don't know much about Italy's healthcare, I've heard that Spain's is quite underwhelming, but as far as I'm aware, France and the UK's is pretty good.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I always liked the per capita model. Of course each nation has different health care, make up of citizens.... but this to me anyways at least gives an immediate and somewhat relevant number for one G8 nation over another and not trying to compare Switzerland to South Africa

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

A interesting article. with a estimate under 100 000. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/trump-trains-guns-on-chinas-dr-who-as-us-has-highest-single-day-toll-close-to-2000-deaths-from-coronavirus/articleshow/75052787.cms

This too is interesting, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52197054 while the numbers are suspect regarding the total cases, if they are now allowing travel into and out of Wuhan the results of their lock down seem to have born fruit. They must have a measure of confidence to do this. the article said it took 76 days of lock down to achieve this, 10 weeks, or 2.5 months.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Using the data from this site, https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
When I check again the apparent death rate for the U.S.A. is 30980/639628= 4.84 %

I figure everyone knows this, but just in case someone missed it, the site is interactive, you can click on any country and a break down will be displayed, same with graphs, you can view different types. I like to view the daily cases graph when comparing countries. China just strangled the numbers down! but so did south Korea, Austria is nearly there.

I will just post this again for those in Alberta. You can check the cases in every county. Rural areas are doing well keeping the cases down, though I find it hard to believe Wetaskiwin county has 0 cases. https://covid19stats.alberta.ca/?fbclid=IwAR3-AN8N1X3XKPTJOKTTvTEMArhsB1oOLOxBZINmIegkAT_5zh4UzQDiWwQ click on the geo-spatial section for locations.

ReplyQuote
(@seticruncher)
Eminent Member

As I posted in another thread, over the last several years I have looked at and priced out Mid to High end Gas Masks, Respirators, ect with full intentions of investing in them but got distracted by life and never got around to buying them.

Well, now that everything is in extremely short supply and the price has sky rocketed, I now have a modest supply of masks on order, and am in casual negotiations with my employer to try and get them to sell me the Medical Masks we have on site that no one seems to want to use.

The Ordered Masks are on route but given the state of things I am not counting on them arriving anytime soon.

Needless to say I am quite upset with myself for dragging my feet on these products, but am working on correcting this mistake.

I am closely watching Infection numbers for my area and fortunately they remain relatively low, but I continue to prepare for worst case scenario just in case next time things are worse.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

SETI, I feel your pain. Since 911 I wanted at least one for the vehicle so I could hopefully drive and not choke or smash into things because I couldn’t see. Like you, life and other preps... overrode my desire to purchase. Blasted things and all thr cartridges you would want were / are not cheap.

Dumb on my part

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I'm in the same boat...almost.
Sometime after the SARS incident, we came across some disposable N95 masks liquidated at a local pharmacy and bought them all. 5 packs of 5.
We traded 2 packs a few years ago for something else, I can't actually remember what, so we had 15 on hand at the start of this.
We've placed orders, but so far nothing has come in. Some probably won't, some might or might not, some will, but will take time.
China does seem to be ramping up production, so availability seems to be on the rise at Amazon. It's just a matter of time to see what comes and when.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Well, things being what they are... doesn’t it stand to reason that my 7yo daughter would get a UTI...
she suffered for the last few days in silence because she didn’t want to tell us about the pain or blood. She was embarrassed.
Off to the pharmacy at 9 to get her meds.
Having a GP in the family makes this much easier than it could have been.

ReplyQuote
(@seticruncher)
Eminent Member

Well after weeks of Casual negotiations with my employer, I have acquired a rather small supply of Medical and Industrial masks from my employer at cost. The company has been supplying us with Quality masks for staff use for several weeks but no one seems to want to use them, so rather then have them pile up, I've finally talked them into selling me a few at cost. I'll be passing the Medical Quality masks on to older relatives and keeping the Industrial Quality for myself. The Door maybe open to acquire more from my employer, we'll see.

The first batch of Medical Masks I Ordered several weeks ago have finally landed in Canada so I hope to take possession of those in the next week or so. These I'll keep for myself and add to my existing preps.

So I am close to correcting the weakness in my preps as exposed by this Pandemic. Sadly, at a much greater cost then it would have been had I acted sooner, but better late then never I guess.

ReplyQuote
(@threestorms)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Good to hear seti

A local company is starting to disinfect and re use n95 masks.

I think it's a combination of ultraviolet and hydrogen peroxide mist...and some other cleaning.

I am looking into it more

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Is it this company? This one appears to be only UV-C. PPE has been a bumpy ride, but good to see companies stepping up to try and fill the void.

https://www.medgadget.com/2020/03/new-device-to-disinfect-500-n95-masks-per-hour.html

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

This showed up in our office. Not sure if its legit or not havnt looked into it. But the concept sounds neat. Cell phones are pretty bad infection control wise:

https://www.homedics.ca/protection/sanitization/uv-clean-portable-sanitizer-bag-black.html

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Crown,

I think Homedics is the walmart/costco type brand. No experience with this unit at all.

These are a bit higher end units for disinfecting cpap type machines etc. https://canadacpapsupply.com/3b-medical-lumin-cpap-mask-cleaner.html I see some cpap machines etc come into thrift store. Will def watch and see if the cleaners show up with them.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

Crown,

I think Homedics is the walmart/costco type brand. No experience with this unit at all.

These are a bit higher end units for disinfecting cpap type machines etc. https://canadacpapsupply.com/3b-medical-lumin-cpap-mask-cleaner.html I see some cpap machines etc come into thrift store. Will def watch and see if the cleaners show up with them.

Yeah, I think you are right. I asked the wife about this. She said it looked a bit gimmicky. They used to use something similar in the lab but they would really only breakdown DNA so there was no cross contamination. For the intensity she's not sure if the brand I posted would do what it says it would do. She couldn't find (not saying it doesnt exist, just couldnt find) any supporting evidence on this specific device.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network