May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Are you prepping for the coronavirus?

105 Posts
15 Users
0 Reactions
10.9 K Views
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

U.S.A. Number one! Not a title I would want to hold, and with all the snow birds coming back I just cant image how many cases of the virus must be coming with them. I went through the list of countries comparing cases to deaths. Italy has the worst ratio of all, 80 000 cases and 8000 dead. That's a fatality rate of 10%. More typical is 3%, some less.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Agree, snowbirds have likely brought in a gear many. Border towns south of ottawa are ticked because the were shopping in Brockville and prescott when they drove over the border!

As spring heats up, I fear that the poorer cities will be hit and their hospitals are not as well equipped. So philly, Baltimore, LA, Seattle, Chicago..... should be real fun. The racial hype will be played up to the max.

Nurses are not getting the masks... they need here in ottawa area and it’s a crying shame.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Here is a map showing current distribution of cases in Alberta. https://covid19stats.alberta.ca/?fbclid=IwAR3-AN8N1X3XKPTJOKTTvTEMArhsB1oOLOxBZINmIegkAT_5zh4UzQDiWwQ

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Things have been busy, the farming area and those around me are all bracing and planning the coming work/farm/garden season's.. local orchards are reaching out for help, having lost their "youth" programs, their woofer programs, reaching into the community to connect with families and helpers to get in and prune, to come do different things at a proper social distance apart for a share in the harvest.. (I am looking forward to the amazing flavour of my fall pigs and lambs having a crazy amount of squash and apples to help finish them) Seed growers are looking to make connections to help get things planted and for work party's in the fall to help harvest the seed and haul away hundreds of pounds of squash that can then be used in the community and as livestock feed and or to build compost.

The last days have seemed endless as people are working the "network" Who has chicks, are you setting eggs in the incubator? Who has litters of piglets coming, when due, when ready.. I need to learn how to garden, I will trade hard strong backed labour if I can learn from you and ask questions for the four to five hours that I am shoveling, moving, hauling and turning..

Who is splitting their wood, "what the cost per cord whole logs or split is for local/regular" vs this is what you tell people if they asked what you paid.. You want extra wood, extra cords this year I will it away for you..

Do you want? I have.. You have? Do you have? Are you going to grow? Got Eggs? Can you help me plan my garden? You got extra compost, I have this.. What do I have that you would want?

Lets do a bulk order of this and then split it between all six of us..

Its been awesome.. its been busy!

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I have been reading up on how different countries have responded, quite the range of actions taken. You can imagine my surprise when last night I was reading up on the U.S. response and found that 20 some states were operating much as if it was BAU. Flordia of all places...no lock down on businesses at all, everyone still going bowling, going to the bars and such. I cant believe it, that state must have one of the largest groups at risk! I suspected it was going to be really bad in the U.S. for a number of reasons but I am thinking when this is done and we look back the U.S. is going to be one of the worst hit countries of any.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Its Wednesday evening, I am looking at the numbers and as you can see the U.S. is at 68 000 cases ( more but that's what they admit to) and is in third place. If I have crunched the numbers right, over night they should be in second place, then by this time Thursday they will have more (admitted) cases than anywhere else. By Friday they will be well over 100 000 cases Looking at the time lag between cases and the deaths that follow. By this time next week, admittedly I am only guessing, but I would think 4000-5000 dead and climbing.
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

well its a week later and the numbers as of this minute are 4757 dead in the U.S.A and climbing. I think I nailed that one. Anyone want to bet on what the numbers will be by Sept 1st ?

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

If they do not change what they are doing.. by Sept 1st.. 300, 000 plus.. sigh..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

If they do not change what they are doing.. by Sept 1st.. 300, 000 plus.. sigh..

I think you are right, I was going to guess 250 000+ and I do not see them changing what they are doing in time to prevent that.

Edit; Their death rate is rising fast, It was 2% of the infected 10-14 days ago, now its at 2.4 and climbing. It wont surprise me if they hit 10% or more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK7P4Sgomtw

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Very unfortunate that then usual political divide (47% "born" Republican and 47% "born" Democrat) has essentially allowed for the situation they will be facing over the next 6 months. Sometimes... sometimes crisis doesn't have to be a partisan affair.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Heli.... very sad indeed. This does not nor should it be a politically leaning event. Everyone is invited to the sad party! Both past political parties are at fault for where we are, so what the people need to do, is set aside the blame game and drill down on what is needed right now! I think we see that but political machines, always try and leverage a disaster for their own political/ monetary gain. Sad!

Well this board will and has proven helpful to those wishing to get better organized for whatever befalls us. Good luck and a good crop to all

ReplyQuote
(@threestorms)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hope everyone has their seeds planted.
Remember store purchased veg's and fruit need to be washed even more so now

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

not by a long shot.. early starts yes, very early things planted but most things not even started yet.. zone 5a what zone are you?

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Hope everyone has their seeds planted.
Remember store purchased veg's and fruit need to be washed even more so now

Good grief no. There’s still 2’ of snow on the ground, light flurries in the forecast today and the long range forecast sees overnight lows in the negative double-digits until at least mid month.

I’ve started tomatoes and peppers indoor, perhaps too early as the are now pretty large already. Onions seedlings are thriving. I’ll wait a couple weeks to start my cucumber plants indoor.

The way things are going, it’s clear I won’t put too many seeds in the ground until May 2-4 weekend...

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

If those plants get to big, 4 to 5 gallon pots (the one the trees come in) or 5 gallon buckets (cracked the best as you do need to make drainage) then you can just move them outside along walls as needed..

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

If those plants get to big, 4 to 5 gallon pots (the one the trees come in) or 5 gallon buckets (cracked the best as you do need to make drainage) then you can just move them outside along walls as needed..

Good thing I have a lot of those stashed πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network