April 29, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Flour, how long is it good for?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

If someone has done tests I would like to know. The googler gives all kinds of answers. I have decided to start testing for myself. I am vacuum sealing up a few different types, just small bags that I will date and then put into cool dark storage with plans to pull them out 5 y, 7y, and 10 y, just to get a idea of how they store. Its going to be a long time before I know, wish I had started this test long ago. Before someone says you cant vacuum seal flour, yes I can (I even do powdered milk) that factory packing bag has holes put in the top and bottom so the air from inside the packaging can be sucked out.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

This is what I have personal information I can give you is that it basic white flour that is frozen min 3 days (for making sure no bug eggs in it) then brought up to room temp again I did mine in the big foil packing bags and then into 5 gallon buckets can easily go three years.. I have never gone further..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I ya have goofed because I did not freeze before packing in Mylar bags with well above recommended oxygen absorbers and I also vacuum sealed to suck out even more air and it also helped with size. I have bags that are as hard as rocks due to air being sucked out and sealed tight.

From there they went into five gallon pails and tucked away in as stable a temp location as I could muster. Also sealed rice, flour... into smaller bags so don’t open a big bag that may take time to go through.

Been two years and may open up one. Looked at them and still look all shrunk up tight.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Thank you Peppercorn for all the experimentation you do. It’s nice to get real data every now and then as opposed to the myriad of opinions usually found on such boards.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thank you Peppercorn for all the experimentation you do. It’s nice to get real data every now and then as opposed to the myriad of opinions usually found on such boards.

Well this one wont bear fruit for a long time, but I have another in the works that once the snow is gone and I can start welding again should produce results right away but I will do a separate thread on that.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

I am rotating presently a bucket of flour from Nov 2012. It was in the freezer for a week and then moved to a 6 gal bucket and sealed with oxygen eaters. It is fine tasting! I was testing that date and was happily surprised! I don't know if I would let it go much past 8-10 years. Flour doesn't keep as well as beans or rice.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I am rotating presently a bucket of flour from Nov 2012. It was in the freezer for a week and then moved to a 6 gal bucket and sealed with oxygen eaters. It is fine tasting! I was testing that date and was happily surprised! I don't know if I would let it go much past 8-10 years. Flour doesn't keep as well as beans or rice.

Good info. If I could get 8 to 10 years, that would be fine for me. I have always thought it could store longer, if packaged right, than most people think.

ReplyQuote
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

Flour shelf life
They say it can keep for 20-30 years. And to clarify for new preppers-only white flour/only white rice.
I guess I'm a bit of a pessimist! I do pack it in buckets and Mylar so it should keep for longer than 10 years.
I'm just not a complete believer...my father had a bucket 20 years old and we opened it, tasted fine raw...nothing off,
but when we baked with it wasn't a great cake. Could have been a one off I suppose, but that's why I rotate flour every 10 yrs.
There are so many things that can affect food stores...temperatures, moisture and fluctuations of those.
Perhaps I just worry to much that when I need them, they'll be bad!!!

That said, I have a prepping friend who stores for 20 and won't be told differently! Totally...What ever works for you.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network