May 16, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

My Personal body guard!

25 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

Well...I talked my husband into another dog! I've always loved the Landseer Newfoundland breed. I got her for my birthday present in December! She is awesome. She spends most of her time wandering around with me and my big boy pyree (who has been very maternal with her). She's smart as a whip and you can watch her grow. She's great with the animals and loves the snow!

ReplyQuote
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

Her she is at 4 months!!!

ReplyQuote
(@ghostprepper)
Eminent Member

HOLY JESUS F*CK! That's ridiculous to the 10th power. Beauty dog though. Been looking at Maremas (sp?) and Pyrenees. Haven't totally locked down the land in FarFarAway yet though. We're/I'm only in town until late spring this year though. I'm making the full jump to Bushman Billy this year come hell or high water. Traitor Trudeau is making town/city living a bit too expensive and dangerous for my tastes. So a bushlot down holler and some big dogs, and that's all for me.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

We have a maremma . Solid choice! Extremely intelligent. That being said, not slavishly obedient due to his intelligence and independent thought. Naturally took up guarding the kids, poultry, and camelids without any sort of training. Zero losses to land predators since his arrival. (1 to a hawk, but hey, he can't fly)

A big teddy bear for us. A frenzied warning machine to any who stray near the house.

He officially smelled a (human) intruder hours before we knew he was hiding in the bush by our house. When we ventured into the unfenced part of our land/crown land to find what it was, he sniffed his location out in a couple minutes. Cops removed him after he wouldn't leave:)

Kibble earned!

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
 Syn
(@syn)
Reputable Member

3/4 Pyrenese Mountain Dog, 1/4 German Shepherd

ReplyQuote
 Syn
(@syn)
Reputable Member

I am so pleased with my dogs instincts to keep us safe, though I have to watch as it has proven she will go after people , other dogs, will take on wildlife and removed a black bear from my chicken coop last night . So I do have to watch that I am not careless thinking she will be okay with people , anywhere, because she has snapped into defensive mode . I made the mistake in the past saying she was okay with people and dogs, well selectively . So now I more careful.

ReplyQuote
 Zana
(@zana)
Estimable Member

Just a note. I used to breed and show StBernards. One of the breeds in their past are Tibetan mastiffs. You are right about them being mushes with the family but very protective. My Saints seemed to have limits though. One day friends came over and our two daughters were fighting over a toy. The other Dad stepped in and grabbed each girl by the wrist. My saint stepped in quickly and grabbed the arm that was holding our girls wrist. She was gentle but firm and as soon as he let go so did she. I was pleased with her response. If they are like saints though they won’t guard your stuff. Only if you are in it like your truck.
The reason I wore though is with pups we removed back dewclaws early. The way we could tell they harkened back to Tibetans was that some had back double dewclaws. Hope your pup has had them removed. They are fleshy enough that if they catch on something and rip the dog can breed out. Enjoy him!

ReplyQuote
 Zana
(@zana)
Estimable Member

I didn’t proofread well. I meant to say the dog could bleed out.

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

I just wanted to pipe in that Dobermans are/were specifically bred to be personal protection dogs. You don't need to train them that way (although it is essential to train them in obedience, like any dog), it's their natural instinct. They are indoor dogs and will only protect property if it's their space or you/family that is threatened. I have a dobie, and they are very intelligent, great with kids, don't shed much, and most are friendly yet observant. The only things are that they are short-haired, so not hardy for our winters, and there are some health problems that run in the breed that could cause issues over long-term SHTF.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I have to agree with Hope I am ready, I have a girlfriend that has a very active farm/family/small children/often has farm gate sales coming and going and I have found over the past ten years that her Doberman's have proven to be outstanding farm dogs, learning how to move stock, being good with newborns, good guard dogs that back folks up and warm up quickly once their mom says its all good and then still back you up the next time..

I have known two of them since puppies now with a third up and coming and even though they cuddle and adore me.. even I needed to lead them into their side yard, close the gate and then go into the house area when my friend was not home, and not just walk in.. because without her telling them, I am good.. I would be leary about going in.. but I have been taught their commands and they do listen to me.. just better safe then sorry as they say.

They do require boots and coats in winter but they are game and smart.. they will be up on that hay bale to keep their feet out of the cold and wet in a flash.. but sadly yes, they seem to die very very young to me from cancer.

She does have livestock guard dogs that live with the flocks and herd's as well outside full time. I personally like my herding dogs still but I will admit that I have learned to admire her chosen breed as well.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network