May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Anyone in an Ontario S&R group?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@oddmott)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone here participate in any of Ontario's Search & Rescue groups?

I'm considering applying to a couple in Eastern and Central Ontario... but found it quite surprising that they all seem to expect members to cover all costs of certification, training, transportation, most gear, etc.

They also expect members to put in "fundraising" time. Why would anyone who is already footing the bill to everything needed to be involved... also be expected to donate extra time outside training & searching to fundraising for funds that apparently aren't used for their group?

All seems quite odd to me.

It's coming... and it's going to hurt!

(@ottawa613)
Estimable Member

I think you'll find that the contemporary environment for volunteerism has become a complicated ball of wax.

Whereas long ago community groups formed spontaneously to do civic duties out of a spirit of helpfulness and community building, today there are many considerations unimaginable to our parent's generation.

To name a few:

Territorialism: agencies like the police have gradually taken over the lead agency status for SAR. They have spent money on specialized equipment and training, and they like to use it to justify the budget expenditures. If they're not out using it, the budget and allowances may be taken away. They don't welcome competition.

Crime: in cases of missing persons, a search could involve foul play. The agencies doing the searching like to have the boundaries and communications under their control and management, for investigative and forensic purposes.

Accountability: If anything goes wrong in a search, someone is going to be blamed. Civilian volunteers are an unknown.

Bureaucracy: Volunteers do not have to formally answer to a hierarchy. This confounds the bureaucratic mindset.

Communications strategy: Today's doctrine dictates that an organized activity speak with one voice (to the media) for various reasons. Volunteers may present alternative statements which may create a rumour mill of inaccurate or contradictory information, reflecting badly on the lead agency's efforts.

Certifications: over the last several decades legislation and practice have pushed formal certifications for anyone engaged in group activities. First Aid, childcare, property security, life guards - for every activity their seems to be a course (usually involving transfer of money and taxed appropriately). It has become a business.

Liability: a potential disaster should a volunteer become injured or injure someone in their care.

Financial return: directives to obtain gear and training generate commerce, some of which may trickle up to the agencies involved. Then there may be membership dues. If the group is a non-profit regulated by Industry Canada, then there is a duty to follow financial guidelines.

I could go on, but the point is that volunteerism is complicated in today's environment.

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fail, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797

ReplyQuote
(@puceprepperz)

Im a proffessional fire fighter, but have worked with sar before. the deal with it is a little tippsy sometimes, but I think you can learn alot more in much easier ways. Some advantages but not as many as you would think.

ReplyQuote
(@oddmott)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Im a proffessional fire fighter, but have worked with sar before. the deal with it is a little tippsy sometimes, but I think you can learn alot more in much easier ways. Some advantages but not as many as you would think.

That's what I'm thinking.

I volunteered with SAR back in 1999-2001 and it wasn't this convoluted or costly. I'm fine to dedicate my time to helping others and improving my community, but paying out of pocket, up to $2000 per year... is an f'n joke, really.

I was just looking for a way to keep my first aid, tracking and orienteering skills sharp... not toss away chunks of my personal savings.

It's coming... and it's going to hurt!

ReplyQuote
(@deerinthewoods)

Hi,

The Canadian Ski Patrol is a 4-season organization now and is talking with other organizations about volunteer participation in community emergencies. There are costs for basic gear and jacket but if you want to join and not ski there is the option of being a CSP first responder at events off slope, a music festival, triathlon, speed skating event, running event, mountain biking event, whatever.
The training can be the basic Advanced First Aid course (60 hours) with CPR and AED or extend up to Wilderness First Aid and Rescue and Avalanche training.
http://www.csps.ca/

I think the nice thing about CSP is that it encourages people of all ages and backgrounds to join. Once you have shown an interest by signing up for the Advanced First Aid course you will be part of the gang. They are really friendly, train hard and have fun. Lots of pot lucks at the training sessions, meetings, on-hill training etc.

ReplyQuote
(@bettersafe)
Trusted Member

I'm a member of a BC SAR group, and you are expected to provide your own basic gear (a 24 hour bag and your own basic clothes). Everything else is paid for - training, specialized gear, even mileage to and from training and calls.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network