May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

LONDON MRE CHALLENGE

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@mule-skinner)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

[b]Date Saturday 17 August 2013
Time 1130 AM
Where North east corner of Gibralter Flea Market rear parking lot
Lunch Eat from your bug out bag and use any none wood burning stove you carry

THE CHALLENGE
Howdy folks mule skinner here.
How much do you spend on one MRE for one meal only $8-$9-$10 or more
My challenge is to prepare your own long term storage MRE for one meal or one day ( I have my mre to do whole day )
Try to track cost and calories to share at the meet
Hope to see some folks out to this informal meet and greet

We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep

oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member

Great idea

ReplyQuote
(@mule-skinner)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks oldschool
We are due for a small meet in London so why not have a tailgate party instead of coffee
Lots of ideas out there for mre packaging so lets share
Mule

We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member

If anyone needs help figuring out the value of their mre

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

It is the USDA nutrient data base. It has some very interesting things like raw caribou liver...not that I think anyone would have that as part of their mre.

ReplyQuote
Che
 Che
(@che)
Estimable Member

Interestingly, there is a difference between Canadian, US and civilian MRE's, even moreso with calories (dramatically between military and civilian). There's also a widely-known ubiquitous consensus with respect to a constipating agent within traditional MRE's (the Canadian version is the same) in my opinion. And I can speak from personal accounts that many soldiers are not a fan of the taste. There was a chicken dish in particular that I was told to avoid.

Challenging yourself to create your 'own' MRE is a great idea. With a little ingenuity I'm sure you can come up with something that not only tastes better but will be lighter and have a longer shelf-life...not to mention cheaper!

I would love to attend, however, I'm going to the Diefenbunker bunker in Ottawa that day.

In any event, great idea Mr. Skinner!

Intelligent Survival Networking for Enhancing Knowledge and Resources
Ontario Preppers Ontario Preparedness
http://oi41.tinypic.com/2856ib.jpg

ReplyQuote
(@puceprepperz)

Interestingly, there is a difference between Canadian, US and civilian MRE's, even moreso with calories (dramatically between military and civilian). There's also a widely-known ubiquitous consensus with respect to a constipating agent within traditional MRE's (the Canadian version is the same) in my opinion. And I can speak from personal accounts that many soldiers are not a fan of the taste. There was a chicken dish in particular that I was told to avoid.

Challenging yourself to create your 'own' MRE is a great idea. With a little ingenuity I'm sure you can come up with something that not only tastes better but will be lighter and have a longer shelf-life...not to mention cheaper!

I would love to attend, however, I'm going to the Diefenbunker bunker in Ottawa that day.

In any event, great idea Mr. Skinner!

The Canadian MRE are that bad. Atleast the ones I used for the 12 years I was in. If they have changed themsince the 1996 mark then I cannot comment on the new ones. There are some that suck as is with everything, but some were good and most atleast decent. I do believe its easier to create a homemade version though when you figure in costs, weight, taste etc. Id even go as far as to ay dehydrated will work fine in most cases and save huge on weight. You need to carry 3 days meals in your pack on the basic level. They contain a fair amount of liquid weight even when you strip the sidebox down to basic needs/wants. All in all, id eat them, but I think id prefer to make my own. Theirs is just a simpler and faster way to store stuff up, but costly.
😎

ReplyQuote
(@livingpower)
Reputable Member

I was out of town and missed this, but I hope there was a good turnout. Let's plan something for the fall, perhaps late September or October?

ReplyQuote
(@northernguy)

Don't now if this is the right place but is there anyone from the Barrie area on here.

ReplyQuote
(@puceprepperz)

Im not from barrie although I did live in Wasaga beach before moving to Windsor. There are alot of barrie area guys though...

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network