April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Propane Tanks

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know, what is largest propane tank an individual can purchase & use on their rural property, in Saskatchewan? This Coop website lists bottles as large as 2000 US gallons, so I assume this is the largest that are priced within reach of mere mortals:
https://www.coopconnection.ca/

Saskpower comments on consumer tanks between 475l and 19000l (pt 7.10.2 amendment):
http://www.saskpower.com/wp-content/uploads/codes_of_practice_propane.pdf

Also wondering if there is a limit as to how much propane can be stored on a non-commercial site. If, for instance, someone had ten 1000-gallon tanks, could they all be filled when the price was low, used over several years? Or would tank inspection preclude long-term storage?

peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I see this is a old post but, I will tell you what I see it my area. lots of people with 800 to 1200 gallon tanks and that includes people I know on smaller rural properties of 1 to 3 acres..so quite dense relatively speaking. The correct answer could be found by calling the propane distributor for the area you are in. Most people lease the tank from the propane distributor so they know what size they can put where. I have been told by those who use propane for heating if they are planning long term, buy the tank if 1000 gallons or less, lease if greater...I guess the cost of the really large tanks must be high, but again just call your nearest distributor they will know

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

My suggestion is give the following a call to see what they can tell you. They have people who know the laws inside and out and will ensure you are legal and hence safe. A quick look at the TSSA site and aside from there own mandate there are at least a dozen other acts and reg's involved in a variety of applications of purchasing, storage and use of propane...who knows what applies in larger quantities...and for residential there might be very litts....let the Authorities having jurisdiction tell you, they are the experts.

Contact your local building department and by-law department in your city/town to see if they have any local rules or regulations. They may or may not. Usually this is for commerical sales but ya never know.
Contact the TSSA (TSSA.org) to see what the legislation says about storage volume and requirements (if any) for residential homes.
Contact your insurance company last but not least...dont want to void your insurance if they have limitations or special rules if your keeping it in significant quantities. (They might have no rules, but always best to check.)

Good luck. I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, it took a while, but I finally had an email conversation with someone at Federated Coop's Propane division. What I've been told is:

Maximum tank size of 2,000uswg, but is not a tank that is generally stocked because they only rent out 1,000 & 500 uswg tanks, and the impression I'm getting is that the cost of the 2000uswg tanks are higher than most tank purchasers are interested in paying. You *can* go greater than 2,000 but you need permission and an "Emergency Response Assistance Plan". It sounds like a hassle to me.

As an alternative to a single, large tank, you can hold as much as 10,000uswg on site, through some combination of tanks, plumbed together. You can store more than 10,000, but like the >2,000 tanks, you need authorization and an ERAP. Look to pay probably between $3,500 & $4,000 for a new 1000uswg propane tank.

CSA B149.2-10 is the governing code regarding propane storage and handling, CSA B149.1-10 is for installation code. All available at ridiculous prices through CSA's website.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network