May 16, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Driveway Alarm

42 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

This dog is going to be ok. He had a brother at the shelter, I am wishing I bought him as well, but two dogs is really enough for me, Dog hair is already considered a condiment in my home I don't need it to be the main course as well.

I feel like you’re maybe leaving a hint there....

Unfortunately, I won’t win Mrs HP on this. For so long as my job keeps taking me away, it won’t happen as she does not want one more responsibility.

So back to the original plan... alarm for now I suppose. It has to be metal detecting type since motion will drive us nuts as the driveway is a deer Autobahn. When finances permit, fence and gate.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

No, No hint. Dogs are not for everyone, lots of reasons people don't want one, I understand that. With there long life span it can be quite a commitment, and the training a slightly older pup from the rescue requires, may be a little more than first time dog owners should try. Best to get a puppy at the 9 to 12 week period, much easier to train. They told me this one was 5 months old, thats 20 weeks and because of that time at the shelter being untrained, I now have my work cut out breaking bad habits. (I suspect 5.5 maybe 6 month old). I have patients though, The dog doesn't know it but he won the lottery when I picked him.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I picked him up late Monday, I don't think I was back home until 7pm or so, so I am not counting last Monday, and I am not counting today, Sunday, as there as been no accidents in the house today. So that makes it 5 full days to house train him. He may have a odd accident but I think he and I are now on the same page as to where he can crap and its not in the house! This will make his life and mine much less stressful. It will only get better from here.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

one of the perks of getting that 5 to 6 month old pups.. I will get mine beteen 8 to 9 weeks and I promise lol that it will take me longer then 5 day.. but what a good boy! that is one cute pup and I think he did hit the jackpot..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I took my dog to the vet for a check up. Because of the corona virus thing they don't want you going in the office, they come out and take your pet inside.When the lady got within 6 feet of my truck he was barking up a storm, (she was in a full face mask, that's what put him off) she opened the passenger door to lift him out and he was having none of it, she made a couple attempts to hold him with out success, then I heard a real deep snarl followed be the sound of jaws having missed there mark slam shut. It was at that point she said" why doing you lead him to the door on the leash". I walked him to the door and handed over the leash, and watched as he turned into a ancor that she could not get to budge or go inside. They had to give him his shots out side, and he only let them do that after 20 minutes of slowly giving him treats to calm down.

I waited in the truck while this was going on so as to not be a distraction to my dog. Funny to watch. I don't think anyone is going to be able to take my dog! or take my truck if this dog is in it.

ReplyQuote
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Very nice dog peppercorn and lucky you to have lucked into a dog with that disposition.

Since we live in a village, we have a small dog (a chihuahua type). She is getting older now, but follows me all over the yard and picks a spot to sit or lay and watches and guards while working outside. She moves around here and there, but stays close and in the yard and warns if someone or something is coming close.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

He will be earning his kibble lol They are a handful.. that is one of the reason's I love having a middle aged dog to help train them.. (well if they are well trained themselves of course)

You are sure right about that, having a older dog around has really helped with training. Only had one dog at a time before, but now after seeing how the older one leads the younger, I have to say this has made my job easier.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

The pup is adjusting to his new home and I to him. Nothing goes past my house now without him giving attitude. He has just gotten big enough that he can hop (sometimes) in to my truck without help.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I decided to check and see if my pups brother was still available, to my surprise when I checked the shelters web site, every pup was adopted, not just that, most of the older dogs as well, I have never seen that before, and I say that as someone who has gotten dogs since roughly 1990 from the shelters. Good for the dogs! I guess with people staying at home, many must have thought it a good time to get a pet and train it up before they have to go back to work.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I am so happy for your pup and for all the pups that got new homes, that is wonderful news and I am glad to read that your well trained older dog is helping train up the pup, the same is happening here.. love the photo.. what a cute pie.. but good for him on being a natural alerting dog..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Hp it looks like your thread has been thoroughly hijacked.

This dog is still a young pup but he is doing well in the guarding dept, I had some visitors the other day, and one fellow was someone who had never been here before, My dog kept him under watch and kept barking at him. At one point this guy made a rather fast move in jumping off the tailgate of the truck and my dog gave him a little nip on the leg. Not hard but like he was saying...no more sudden moves.

A week or two back I drove a guy to the hospital to have surgery, this guy had never been in my truck or met my dog before. It was funny as hell. The dog first didnt want the guy to get in the truck, I had to put my right arm around him and hold him back. Then the whole way to the hospital every time he looked at the guy he would growl at him. It didnt help that this guy was a hand talker and moved his arms all around as he talked, each move set my dog off.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

So I have two new driveway alarms.. about 2 months apart.. its just the way it happened.. so big brother we will call the "the lug" is mostly lab with a bit of X .. he is very much like his mother.. happy but protective.. he is a silent weapon..

So he gives a woof when someone comes and looks at me and as soon as I say ok.. he is all happy. happy.. but he always flanks me and then watches and waits for the cues.. We never have peaple to the house.. always driveway or yard visits and so when a person decided to come up the stairs to the deck to lead into the house.. The lug.. was like.. NO.. and held a full grown adult on the first steps while he guarded the gate and hair went up..barking and a bit of fang.. he backed the person up a step.. until I said ok.. I was totally impressed..

Now the younger brother(not real brother) who will be the bigger dog in the long run, comes from a more known protective breed and farm dog line and we will call him Double D.. he is awesome.. If someone comes.. bark, Bark.. sideways eye and back up and look right at me.. Nothing and no one gets by him.. Even at 12 weeks when I am gardening in the yard.. he will play but he then lays about 6 feet from me and watches.. and will alert me if someone walks by on the road or bikes by or stops on the road, never mind our farm.. its not rude.. its a low.. half bark like a ufff.. just enough for me to look and he will show me what he is looking at..

The two of them have already taken to driving the farm down the roads cats off my farm (they know and understand "our" cats and are good with them) but clearly I will not be having as many stray cats show up unless they get treed as I watched the lug, flush, drive a cat out and all the way across the food forest into the grain field and not stop till it pushed the cat down on the run..

They are both coming along well in their training but man, two pups are alot of work.. will be so worth it in the end..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

So I have two new driveway alarms.. about 2 months apart.. its just the way it happened.. so big brother we will call the "the lug" is mostly lab with a bit of X .. he is very much like his mother.. happy but protective.. he is a silent weapon..

So he gives a woof when someone comes and looks at me and as soon as I say ok.. he is all happy. happy.. but he always flanks me and then watches and waits for the cues.. We never have peaple to the house.. always driveway or yard visits and so when a person decided to come up the stairs to the deck to lead into the house.. The lug.. was like.. NO.. and held a full grown adult on the first steps while he guarded the gate and hair went up..barking and a bit of fang.. he backed the person up a step.. until I said ok.. I was totally impressed..

Now the younger brother(not real brother) who will be the bigger dog in the long run, comes from a more known protective breed and farm dog line and we will call him Double D.. he is awesome.. If someone comes.. bark, Bark.. sideways eye and back up and look right at me.. Nothing and no one gets by him.. Even at 12 weeks when I am gardening in the yard.. he will play but he then lays about 6 feet from me and watches.. and will alert me if someone walks by on the road or bikes by or stops on the road, never mind our farm.. its not rude.. its a low.. half bark like a ufff.. just enough for me to look and he will show me what he is looking at..

The two of them have already taken to driving the farm down the roads cats off my farm (they know and understand "our" cats and are good with them) but clearly I will not be having as many stray cats show up unless they get treed as I watched the lug, flush, drive a cat out and all the way across the food forest into the grain field and not stop till it pushed the cat down on the run..

They are both coming along well in their training but man, two pups are alot of work.. will be so worth it in the end..

Yes, A lot of work, so worth it, just wished they lived longer.

ReplyQuote
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

Congrats on the pup. Dogs are such good companions!
People get lots of love when they come for visit at my house-but those same folk return to my gate unannounced... they see a very different dog..cujo's. My babies... Saint Bernard(7 months old now), Newfoundlander and a Pyrenees ... all keep the predators at bay! I think they are the reason I haven't even lost a chicken.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Its looking like I adopted a mini horse, this dog is just getting bigger and bigger.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network