May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Driveway Alarm

42 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Eventual solution is to install a gate at the driveway. Owing that there is still 3’ of hard pack snow along the driveway and that I can’t really get quotations right now, I’m looking at a way of getting notification that a vehicle or someone came down my driveway (about 400’ long). There are some decent options on Amazon, including one by the garage door opener maker Chamberlain. Which seems to over decent value.

What’s your experience with those, lots of false warning? Reliability? Recommendations?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Buried cable and metal detector sensor seem to be the best of the inexpensive options. doesn't pick up people but an ATV, car... are all detected.

motion sensors will pick up "nearly everything" rain, leaves, snow, deer and yes cars and people.

Spypoint offered a nice little four motion sensor point wireless alarm with one receiver but i just looked and they no longer carry. would be good because you could see first alarm go off and if not followed up with 2,3 and 4th motion, you could likely right it off. if you could find one on ebay.. that would be a good buy

sophisticated video analytics from Motorola and using Avigilon cameras would be my choice but systems are not cheap!!! but with below 400 foot warning, it may still be a bit late for early detection.

there are motion activated cameras that will send images to your cell but they will pickup deer and as you only have a 400 foot warning, the delay in transmission time and you opening on phone could be too late
the buried metal detector would be my choice but the one i used is no longer made so i cant vouch for others on the market. BUt they did work real well for vehicles and seeing as you sound like your out in the countryside, that may just do it. not to many folks walk around trying to steal stuff in the country.
Wireless door bell type motions are not bad, put two up nearer the house and perhaps awy from deer and you could get that double signal that gets you off the chair or out of bed in time.

there are trail cams with cellular transmission capabilities. which would also help if you are away or in the back forty working
https://www.spypoint.com/en/products/new
LINK-MICRO-LTE from SPYPOINT

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

HP, Not the suggestion you want, but a good dog is the best! not the goofy mutt I have, but a good dog is worth their weight in gold. I once had a dog that was a natural at guarding the property so I am speaking from experience. Going to be getting another dog soon, just for this purpose.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

to a degree, I agree with peppercorn. a dog is a great piece of kit, consider keeping inside so its not silenced! ( easy to do )
i would still look at your layout for electronic means that are affordable but a GOOD dog that doesn't bark at squirrels... is still a good thing to have

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I just finished the online form for adopting a puppy from the rescue. So if approved I will soon be training a driveway alarm.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Congrats Peppercorn.. I am expecting to get another one of those driveway alarms in 5 weeks.. it can join my current "bark, Barks!"

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

My bark barks have stopped Jehovah witnesses dead in their tracks!

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Congrats Peppercorn.. I am expecting to get another one of those driveway alarms in 5 weeks.. it can join my current "bark, Barks!"

I pick up my new puppy Monday. I don't have to go to one of the big cities to pick up my pup, the little town of Bon Accord, still a long drive though.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Peppercorn if you are willing, share a photo.. my grandparents were Westlock area so I know where you are going.. We have another 4 weeks wait for our new boy.. we have named him Uther..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Peppercorn if you are willing, share a photo.. my grandparents were Westlock area so I know where you are going.. We have another 4 weeks wait for our new boy.. we have named him Uther..

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

ah, are you keeping that name 🙂 cute pup..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I don't know if I will keep it. I have not been north of the city of Edmonton in decades, after todays trip I never will again, the roads were like moon craters. I feel like sending Sturgeon County the bill for the front end alignment I will need.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

ah, are you keeping that name 🙂 cute pup..

I changed the name. I forgot what a handful a little, untrained puppy could be. I have never seen a dog dive for the food dish like this one does. The dogs at the shelter must have been fed from one bowl. I am going to have to teach him some manners. Day one and he has learned the sit command, and hand signal so he has potential.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Yes, typically the litter is feed from the same big bowl.. they even sell puppy bowls, they have hole in the middle and a big ring and then the puppies all dive in but get their spot.. sounds like he made sure he got his share.. and for training.. a highly food drive can make things so easy..

He will be earning his kibble lol They are a handful.. that is one of the reason's I love having a middle aged dog to help train them.. (well if they are well trained themselves of course)

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

It looks like I have a winner, this dog is a natural for guarding. He has taken ownership of the house and truck. I had to go into Bulk Barn and the bank the other day. I got to observe my new pup through the window of each place while other people were going by and near the truck. So long as people kept moving and going by he just observed, but when someone stopped within a few feet of the truck, such as to look at the cute dog, he went all growly at them, It was funny to watch. In the house he "alarms" at all new sounds that he hasn't heard before. This dog is going to be ok. He had a brother at the shelter, I am wishing I bought him as well, but two dogs is really enough for me, Dog hair is already considered a condiment in my home I don't need it to be the main course as well.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network