May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Driveway Alarm

42 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

This dog just keeps growing. When he stands on his hind legs, his nose touches my chin.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Wow.. going to be a big boy.. mine are growing well .. I have one working/chores boy who is training up nicely and one that is very much mine and a farm/house/me guard boy.. Very pleased..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Wow.. going to be a big boy.. mine are growing well .. I have one working/chores boy who is training up nicely and one that is very much mine and a farm/house/me guard boy.. Very pleased..

So 3 dogs total?

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Haha, three..

no peppercorn, I have 5, I had gotten down to 3 which is very small for me.. and have added in two to bring me to 5.. so I have my old gal who is most likely coming into her last winter, then I have my momma's little tiny house dog for the past couple years as she was no longer able to look after her.. then I have my prime aged fully active trained sheep dog that does the farm/sheep flock work.. then my two up and coming pups.. one who is proving that doing farm chores and hunting (duck/goose) is his thing and my other is the natural guard dog and working with livestock dog as well as got a nose on him already that has him, flushing birds, rabbits, and hunting rats and mice already..

My mom's little girl is also quite old and she has her good days and her poor days and a very fluffy heated bed for old bones.. when the younger pups arrived, my oldest farm girl.. went.. good and just retired herself.. I am beyond grateful to have the mature trained farm dog to help train up the pups.. while I have to do training.. the amount of training the dogs do between themselves is huge.. I have watched her tell of the pup for not working proper in the pasture and she can correct him far faster then I can..

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Also since that big deep woof-woof-woof has arrived, I can see the change in the trail that the local coy-wolves has changed, they are swinging out wider around the farm fenced line.. love seeing that pattern change..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

5, I cant image. The food you must go through.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I do a good amount of raw (they can get things that the farm produces, like heads, feet, and bits and bobs at butcher time and lots of meaty bones, plus extra eggs/milk at times of the year) they get a lot of squash/potato's and other cooked root veggies, plus they eat cooked grains (gruel).. they do not eat a lot of "dog food per say" but they do eat seasonally, and I add to the gardens for them lol

I have a rabbit raising program just to help feed the dogs 🙂

but the new pups are larger then I normally have, I tend to have smaller 30 pounds or under sheep dogs and mom's is like 8 pound little house dog.. its been a while since I was feeding my 90 plus pound lab..

If I had to pay for a good quality food at the stores these days, I am not sure I could afford more then one or two.. thankfully the farm produces lots and lots of different food in different ways that the hounds love.. bless them for the omnivores they are..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Just a 90 pound lab, oh, you have a small one, how cute . Mine is 110 pounds last time she was weighed. Its been 7 or more years since I have been able to lift her into the tub for a bath. I was hoping this new adopted pup I got was going to be a smaller dog but it is on course to be a large (er) one, such is life, I expect he is off warranty now so I cant return him. Large or small, they are interesting characters, regardless.

C5 , I remember often said he didnt trust a man with a moustache. I chuckled when I read that because I have always been suspicious of a man who dosnt have a dog. ( shows a lack of permanence, patience, and a inability to care for something other than ones self, or so I have thought). Just my rule of thumb. Exceptions do apply, few though.

I too feed (now), little store bought food to my dogs. The salt (for one, in the dry food) content is just to high. Way to high.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

My new dog after I found he used my down stairs sofa as a chew toy. I can discern no guilt in his facial expression.

Who wants to buy a new dog?? Cheap?

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Gratuitous dog picture.

Its taken a lot of work but now this dog could be fed by hand and you would get all 5 fingers back. He is still too aggressive around other dogs, its going to take a couple years for him to mellow out, just a combination of to much time at the shelter having to fight for food and attention and to much doggie testosterone.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Nice update and photo.. my boys are now closing in on 60 pounds and are coming in on that teen stage.. its the most challanging for sure.. but they are both working daily in different ways on the farm now.. chores and so on.. Enjoying them..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I was visiting a friend last week, in his garage with my dog when someone my dog did not know opened the garage door and stepped inside. This fellow realized his mistake quickly and froze in place, my dog advanced quickly towards him, hair on his back strait up, tail not wagging, and barking with a booming voice. It was interesting to observe. My dog stayed a few feet from him, out of kicking range, but very much let him know not to advance further. Good dogs are worth their weight in dog food. I did not even hear the guy enter the garage, first I knew he was there was when the dog started barking.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network