May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Home defense

113 Posts
47 Users
0 Reactions
34.1 K Views
(@carbon04)
Honorable Member

Don't waste your time asking a cop.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/news-nouv/nr-cp/2012/doc_32762.html

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/news-nouv/nr-cp/2012/doc_32760.html

Nope rely on Gov website that is as clear as mud. l guess its lost on you that being misdirected by a official is a defense in itself?!

Perhaps you would like to interpret the website for me, because i cannot make head nor tail of it!

it just has to be 'reasonable'....so what any competent, prudent upstanding (no criminal convictions) member of society thinks is 'reasonable' under the circumstances set out

"I think that I am very reasonable therefore ......." ICRCC

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think that I am very reasonable therefore ....... 😈

ReplyQuote
(@carbon04)
Honorable Member

we'll see! 😈

ReplyQuote
(@carbon04)
Honorable Member

we'll see! 😈

😀

ReplyQuote
(@wastow)

l think to much overt home security/defence is an invitation to invasion. One of the best forms of defense in this case i belive is secrecy. A big dog is common enough and a good deterant.

This is now true inspiration for me to get a dog that I have been wanting for a while now. :)...secrecy is key...

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have 2 dogs but ones a lab lol

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
(@dascribbler)
Estimable Member

The origional post was sometime ago looking for suggestions to keep intruders out and what to do once they are in.

As I don't anticipate a Mad Max Scenerio anytime soon my preparations are more or less to try and prevent/deal with the growing problem of Break and entry/Home Invasion type crimes.

I've gone with:

- Having new deadbolts professionally installed
- Security sytem with 24 hour monitoring covering all door and windows
- Solar powered motion detectors/Security Lights
- As basement windows would seem the easiest entry points, Rose bushes are planted in front of the most likely targets. If they get through the thorns, then interior motion detectors nap them.
- I am also quite friendly with my neighbors and as luck would have it they are extremely noisey and see almost everything that happens day or night. (annoying but useful)
- Plans are in place to put in security bars and maybe even smash proof glass films, but this is a work in progress.

Once (IF) the intruder gains access to the home:

- The security system with 24 monitoring naps anyone who enters the house. The Alarm is abnoxious and ear splitting. If power is cut to the house, the security system has a back up power supply.
- If I am home when the invasion occurs, I keep a baseball bat at my bedside and many of my neighbors will testify that they have seen me fly out of the house with bat in hand going after people who shouldn't be there. If you choose to upgrade the Baseball bat to something a little more dangerous the law won't like you but remember its a group of peers who are have to convict you. As it has been said on here and in many other places before: "Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6"

DaScribbler

ReplyQuote
(@410001661)

we had a case in Port Colbourne a few months ago where two neighbors had been having a dispute,in the middle of the night 4 guys firebombed the one guys house with Molotov cocktails. He was a firearms instructor and pulled out his Handgun, I think he fired 2 shots, one in the air and one in the ground and scared the attackers away. All 4 guys were arrested... so was he. He was pretty much facing more jail time than the other A**holes. Charges of careless use were dropped but they tried to nail him on improper storage and take away his guns. In this case justice was eventually done, he was found not guilty and the attackers were sentenced to several years each, however his legal bills were somewhere in the area of $60,000. So be wary of your actions but I wholeheartedly agree that I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

I agree 100%......until we get a Castle Law in Canada you are on your own. Now what happened to this guy was that the crown told him they would drop all charges providing he wave all his gun rights for the rest of his life and he said fk it and fought it - hence his $60k legal bill. There is an order of operation like there is in math.......verbal warning, locked doors/windows (keep a safe distance), then bat, and if it gets to that a gun. At that point you can at least argue that you had the time to unlock it from the safe and unlock the ammo load it and......well lets just hope it never gets to that!!

ReplyQuote
(@blueflash)
Trusted Member

If I had no choice and I needed to use a firearm as a last resort to save the life of a family member, I would not hesitate to think of my future court dates as a result of doing something that was necessary and justified. I keep my .45acp Sig in a biometric electronic safe, and can be ready for use within seconds...and everything is still stored properly and is 100% legal...If I had to fumble to open up a regular safe in the dark in a high stress situation, then it would be too slow to be ready for defence....My biometric safe was not cheap, and only holds 2 handguns, but it was money well spent to know my $1200 handgun is not uselessly sitting in a safe that takes 2-3 minutes to be armed in an emergency. I figure, if Im spending so much on a nice handgun then its best to spend another $400 on a biometric safe that gives me access to defending myself quickly when its needed. I hope I am never faced with a situation were I need to shoot an intruder that means harm to a family member or myself, and would only do so as a last resort if I had a gun pointed at me or a family member, or a intruder charging fast holding a knife. I hope just letting them look down my barrel is all it takes for them to leave without no shots ever being fired.
I have a security system, motion lights outside, and 2 dogs inside. My dogs are 80lbs of very protective muscle and they know someone is on my property way faster than I do. Between my dogs, fenced yard, motion lights, and stickers on my doors reading "beware of dogs" & "Security System", I think a intruder would look for a easier home to break in, because those homes are everywere. My lower windows & doors have shatter resistant film on the glass also, and the locks & hinges are heavy duty, so the only easy access windows are on my upper floor which is 12ft high at the lowest point and require a ladder, making it time consuming & difficult to get in. My lower windows can be smashed even with the film, but it would require alot of noise, time, and energy to break in to my lower windows. Its taken me a couple years and a bit of money to make my house this secure, and I live on the outskirts of a small Town that has very little crime so I really did not need all of these security measures, but I like feeling my family is safe atleast short term if shtf. When the power went out here for a couple days after the ice storm and my house was warm & cozy because of my wood stove, Im sure people noticed the smoke & smell from my chimney, and if a future ice storm caused a 2 week period of no power or heat during the winter, my house would be a target if its the only warm house around...reasons like that or other events that caused panic & desperation are why I keep my house secured....before the ice storm, some friends & family called me paranoid for having a woodstove for back up heat, water & food storage, and security measures I have....after the ice storm & they lost their power for a couple days...they did not call me paranoid, they called me prepared...Since then, I have been asked for advice alot on how to make their homes similar to mine, and about a dozen neighbours, friends, and family asked me were I got my woodstove, who installed it, and how much is it...I figure 3-4 of them will have a woodstove and probably a PAL license by this time next year.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for all the great posts but I'm thinking I'm going to go with in the movie I am legend and build the steel shutters lol

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
(@carbon04)
Honorable Member

I have three of these...this is 'Ruger', not the biggest but the meanest. They're smart, quick and violent. We have people drive onto the property all the time and not one can get out of their vehicles.

ReplyQuote
(@carbon04)
Honorable Member

I keep my .45acp Sig in a biometric electronic safe, and can be ready for use within seconds...and everything is still stored properly and is 100% legal...If I had to fumble to open up a regular safe in the dark in a high stress situation, then it would be too slow to be ready for defence.

Where do store the ammo, mags and key for the trigger lock?

ReplyQuote
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member

Now correct me if I am wrong in saying this! According to the Canadian gun laws on the RCMP website it is 100% legal to store a restricted firearm (S&W M&P 40) in an approved gun safe or vault. The firearm must be unloaded which means no magazine in the firearm as well as an empty chamber. It is also 100% legal to store a magazine that is loaded as long as you follow the magazine capacity laws as well. There is no need for a gun lock or anything! I have been doing a lot of research on this topic as I am ready to purchase a new handgun and would like it to be readily available in a time of need. The laws are gray in Canada!

ReplyQuote
army issue
(@army-issue)

Now correct me if I am wrong in saying this! According to the Canadian gun laws on the RCMP website it is 100% legal to store a restricted firearm (S&W M&P 40) in an approved gun safe or vault. The firearm must be unloaded which means no magazine in the firearm as well as an empty chamber. It is also 100% legal to store a magazine that is loaded as long as you follow the magazine capacity laws as well. There is no need for a gun lock or anything! I have been doing a lot of research on this topic as I am ready to purchase a new handgun and would like it to be readily available in a time of need. The laws are gray in Canada!

The laws are gray in Canada!
The Canadian Law is Clear, the understanding is Grey.
the rest of your quote is shockingly accurate.
scanned this thread to discover that most folks will encourage a Big dog purchase.
Start with a "Beware Of Dog" Sign Only on your door and fence an back yard gate. most casual "trespassers" are not interested in seeing if you actually have a dog. your hydro meter will stop being read right away, though. lol found that out the hard way, lol

www.armyissue.com

ReplyQuote
(@archer)

I wouldn't go for my rifle if I needed a weapon to fend off someone who has invaded my home, as the only rifles I own are muzzleloaders & take some time to load.

I would use my longbow. When cedar shafted arrows with glue-on Zwickey broadheads started flying down the hall at him, he will probably change his mind on what he was planning to do.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 8
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network