May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Home defense

113 Posts
47 Users
0 Reactions
34.1 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I used to make and install window bars and other security systems years ago in Calgary. During all that time I never put any on my own property as I have rottwheillers that seem to deter thieves. But that aside, here is what I have learned:

1. Window bars on the outside tend to diswade thieves before they break your window.

2. When placed inside, paint them white so thieves can see them better(before they break your window and leave).

3. Install your own bars but only buy those that have a tube within a tube, as the C-shaped outer tube design usually folds at the first kick.

4. Dont use bolts to anchor as the thief can remove them. I used #10 taper head screws which fit the #3 Robinson(red handled) screwdriver. Buy a box of #4 aught 12 gauge shotgun shells and break one apart. Using a small counterpunch for finishing nails, tap (1) BB into each mounting screw on your window bars. Now neither you nor a thief can remove those bars.

5. If they get in anyways, I put a can of bearspray by each door. (Luckily we live in the bush so it is a viable excuse where I live--- as them southern tree huggers took away our spring bear hunt, so were deep in bear shit nowadays).

6. While no one wants to rott in jail, we don't want to waste that shotgun shell either. Since they frown on us killing thieves, I replace the BB's with rocksalt and mark the shell accordingly. My wife states she could likely pull the trigger if alone, (but only if she knows that she won't kill anything....????) so 2 rocksalt rounds are in first place on folding butt rack. If she happens to start at the other end of the rack, I've promised to visit when it's not snowing,raining, but not during fishing or hunting season other such important events!

ReplyQuote
(@ballisticprepper)
Eminent Member

I didn't have time to read the entire forum as it was quite lengthy. Some responses were very good And some down right ignorant. This forum also touched several topics within the topic.

My advice for using deadly force defending your home is it will fly in the face of a superior court judge. The key is in articulation. Remember the old adage, " it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"... I don't want to share all of life's secrets on an open forum, I'll just defer to, if the shtf, you don't have to worry about justification. Because by defending your food/water/property etc.. is in itself justification, because if they take it, you are dead.

"Prep hard and train harder"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

BTW, nice Rotty you have there Carbon! And although I am all for archery and arrow slinging there Archer, one can only last a short time at full draw with even a compound (far less for a longbow). This is really not the weapon of choice for home defense....

It is ironic that many American websites thus preclude that if you face a home invasion, it is best that you kill the intruder instead. This is due to the fact that the police then only have your testimony to go on and have no other option but to take your word on the matter. You best hope that there are no other witnesses though either...

Remember the drugstore owner in Calgary that shot the robber as he fled? The issue was that the owner's life was no longer in danger when he shot the robber in the back. Not that the robber will be more confident to commit the same crime again and again!

Unless we are in a state of total anarchy where there no longer is any law to fear such reprisals, one still has to consider their actions hard and fast before they squeeze that trigger. Even if the perpetrator has a long list of previous convictions, you will still be behind bars for a long time! I know it sucks and this is why crime rates soar too. Taking preventative measures to avoid such outcomes is a far better choice, no matter how unfair it seems. But you''ll sleep better knowing you did and if it comes to where you have to shoot it out, you'll look far more innocent when a jury realizes what other measures you had in place to avoid this outcome.

ReplyQuote
(@ballisticprepper)
Eminent Member

All this talk about bars... I went to the scrap yard today and picked up enough wrought iron to do all of my windows. I just welsed my first set and painted them. I must say. They look professional and I have not welded in ages. These will be great for my cottage. For my house, I contracted a wrought iron guy who is retired. For 20$ a window, he will weld ones that look much prettier for my house.

For overkill...

I found a guy in Toronto who manufactures steel entry doors. For an extra 150 bucks, he can add in a piece of 1/4" sheet of hardened steel inside the door. The problem is figuring out how many more hinges I need to support the door. Lmfao.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Good score Ballistic. Did you see the mention of how I locked in the screws i with BB's? This is so a patient thief doesn't just remove them totally in the night. I used to build window bars with 1/4" total clearance and the framework was done in 1" angle iron. Basement windows were removable and held on 2 pins on 1 side and a padlock on the other. The key was hung out of reach but still near the window for fire escape reasons. Window bar spacing and hand rail is 4" maximum so fools don't get stuck (as even a thief can still sue you if this happens)..... 😕

ReplyQuote
 CSG
(@csg)
Eminent Member

l think to much overt home security/defence is an invitation to invasion. One of the best forms of defense in this case i belive is secrecy. A big dog is common enough and a good deterant.

agreed, I have done many upgrades at my house but I made sure that when done from the outside it looks like a regular house. I do not use cameras as I do believe these are an invitation and they are easily thwarted.

CSG

Paracord is your friend

ReplyQuote
(@ballisticprepper)
Eminent Member

Knuckle, I like the idea... I was thinking of tack welding them... But, then didn't compensate for the escape plan. Today I revamped the idea and found some neat enclosed hinges I can put on the inside. Just have to think of a fool proof locking mechanism that can't be defeated on the inside.

Back to the drawing board. Sheesh

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Here is a basic design http://media1.picsearch.com/is?fXSeK8VUedeGaerQL-VP3vWJNK1FcpMHSUqfTAPBHbc&height=341
If you screw in a piece of angle on either side of that, you hinge off one side and latch to the other with tabs for a padlock. Angle covers screw access from outside and windowbars frame covers the screws. All spacing is under 4" to keep in legal in Canada.

ReplyQuote
(@blackknight88)
Estimable Member

I like your design Knuckle..just one minor change however...How bout 12 000 volts attached to those metal bars? 🙂

Here is my deterrent....How bout a big dog dish outside with some kibbles and a huge dirty chain attached to a dirty dog collar with a chewed on bone from a cows hip? Keeps the crack heads clear of my house!! Maybe a oversized chew toy too.. 🙂

The prudent see danger and take refuge but the simple keep going and suffer for it...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Knuckle, I like the idea... I was thinking of tack welding them... But, then didn't compensate for the escape plan. Today I revamped the idea and found some neat enclosed hinges I can put on the inside. Just have to think of a fool proof locking mechanism that can't be defeated on the inside.

Back to the drawing board. Sheesh

2 drilled tabs with a padlock works easily enough

ReplyQuote
 nemo
(@nemo)

Let me think...

Should they go upstairs (bedroom) - I'd do my very worst (followed by 'on-the-house' hydrofluoric acid bath and prompt disposal, if I'm lucky enough to live through it 😉

ReplyQuote
(@quietman)
Estimable Member

Angry squirrels seem to be the most effective. Second place goes to a skunk under the porch... but ummm...

Hmmm, maybe I should rethink the quiet part...

ReplyQuote
(@lindseynicole010)

thanks for that.

ReplyQuote
(@bcprepper1)
Eminent Member

A big dog is usually a pretty good deterent

ReplyQuote
 Syn
(@syn)
Reputable Member

Does anyone know the liability issues with posting warning signs about dogs . Mine is primarily for protecting us from bears but ripped a coat on a surprise visit by the jehovah witness and I have asked them not to return without calling first because the dog is over boisterous and 100 lbs now. There is liability and a bylaw that you should chain or kennel your dog if you know it is aggressive. Well everyone here have big aggressive dogs guarding , all the neighbours have big dogs on their acreages to ward off coyote packs, bears and big cats and protect from two leggeds who really should not be there and they cannot be locked up to do their jobs. I know somewhere I read discussion and the precise wording on your signs makes a difference in liability . I have told people everyone to call and tell me when they are coming so I can secure the dogs but for those who dont I want to limit the liability of them coming uninvited into the guard dogs territory . Does anyone know what wording is fair warning and yet limits your own liability ?

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 8
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network