May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Mom wants firearms

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
althetrainer
(@althetrainer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My husband and I live in a decent neighborhood in Calgary with our 15 year old boy. I am a prepper but they take no interest in emergency preparedness. I always want to be trained to handle firearms but my husband and son are strongly against the idea. They don't even want me to go for training let alone keeping any firearms at home. They maintained baseball bats are more effective when it came to fighting intruders (because guns are locked in safe) and that if we used a gun or anything in that nature very likely we would be charged.

I've read about good citizens got charged for protecting themselves in Canada so their concern might have some merits. But I am a woman with inferior strength compared to men. Wouldn't that make sense to have something to protect myself while I am at home alone? We can't have a dog because our son has allergy.

(@term0shad)
Estimable Member

First off size and strength doesn't mean crap in a fight. Knowledge and skill. Not against guns or rifles. I have them. Maybe look at self defense classes also. Plus training with house hold items. Almost anything can be used as a weapon. Can't have a gun 24/7 with you.

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

Your profile says you are in the Calgary area. There is a Krav Maga studio: http://fight34.com/ As a short woman, I found Krav Maga to be very female-friendly, as it focuses on practical self-defence and the natural body movements and reactions, regardless of your size (or your attacker's). Another option, if you are still interested in firearms, is to find a local range and see if you can go watch, or possibly an open house (mine has one twice a year). Bring your spouse, maybe they will see how safe it is & get past the "scary" factor. I have friends that I've brought as guests - they were always curious but too intimidated to just show up alone.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Sadly, your son and husband may be right as guns are so frowned upon for self defense in Canada that you'd likely find yourself in an ever ending court case if you used one to defend yourself (makes no sense). A few cans of strategically placed bear spray (a Kananaskis stray grizzly coming your way?!?) in your house could serve as equalizer in a break and enter case where you are home alone. Pair that with one of those super powerful flashlight and you could win a fight.

It's still good to have firearms knowledge and if you feel like you want to take this as a hobby, I hope your family would understand.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Good advice in each of the above posts. I will throw in my 2 cents....Everything is good, from being physically able, to using a firearm, but nothing is without consequences....such is life...your physical ability will decline (over time), no if ands or buts about it, but firearms are also not without consequences. I mean legally.. its not just what if you use one, I am in the I would rather be judged by 12 court myself, but firearms in Canada have lots of how should I say this, periphery consequences that many don't forsee ! Just in the ownership, let alone using category!
now I should say I am biased, I love shooting, and have owned many interesting, useful things in my lifetime, I have also had some of my firearms property confiscated ( not lately). I don't have enough fingers to count the number of friends who have had legal problems, due to firearms ownership, sometimes due to marital break up, Legal changes, Classification changes, registration / moving mistakes (with restricted firearms). Just the ownership opens you up to legal consequences (storage) and invites inquiry into your life by health profesionals and others.
If ownership is just for self protection, as it appears to be in your case, I would give it serious thought...
I would advise going with some self defence training, then just to avoid all the legal ramifications of firearms ownership, consider a crossbow...specifically a MK model, I have owned both the MK 150, and the model below that, that I have forgot the name of, in fact I recommend that model to you. It had folding arms, you would of course keep the bolted arms into the extended position for your application. This model does not require a cocking aid, in a instant you can pull back the string and be ready to fire, the arms are short, you can walk through doorways with this model no problem. I have trees on my property that have target point arrows embedded so far into the tree that I could not pull them out. With a broad head tip screwed on, at room or yard distances, I cant even imagine the penetration on a human target this would do. No legal consequences owning this unit, and the last time I seen a sale price was 79.00 dollars, maybe 99 for a list price....cheap....dirt cheap and no legal down sides to ownership!!
I know where to buy in Edmonton, but not Calgary....I am sure the googler will find you one if your interested. , I think it was a mk 130, though it could have been a mk 120 model....

Of course should you decide firearms are what rocks your boat, then I recommend the time proven 1911, I like 45 caliber in pistol...230 grains...I am old school in my choice of hand guns, though am quite open minded and experimental with the long barrels.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Dang I love the topic of guns, so I'll add a bit too.

An issue about training in Canada is that there are no training facilities that would teach tactical applications of firearm shooting (IPSC clubs are probably the closest). No one would mention to you the issues of shooting in a house, over penetration, tactics, low light shooting etc. Essentially all that is what you're looking for.

Walking with a loaded firearm (pistol or shotgun) in your house at night while the kids are sleeping, because you heard broken glass... That's how hubby gets shot in the kitchen while going for a midnight glass of milk. Adrenaline and all, confusion, improper or lack of situational awareness, etc. You can't take that bullet back after the trigger has been squeezed. This is why, despite being a gun nuts myself, I would be careful about recommending firearms for self defense by novice people.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

its a MK 120, and looks like they now come with fixed arms, not folding like mine was. Once you start going higher power, then you may need cocking aids, in this vid you can see even a 120 pound skinny kid can cock it no problem, The arrows it comes with are crap but will do the job.
Its usable out of the box though I would give it a trigger job myself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwGf1rJ0uRM

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Blunts or broadheads?

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

its comes with target points but you just buy broadheads if you wish and screw them on. Even this low powered model is absolutely lethal, broadheads are nasty on flesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=931zjos7SOo

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

I wonder what would be best? Broadhead for max damage, but tricky to handle when in a hurry. Very easy to cut yourself on. Blunts would hurt like hell but probably not fatal. Field points would need head or heart shot?

Althetrainer, I'm curious. Your husband and son mention baseball bats. Do they actually have them? I'm partial to aluminum t-ball bat.

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

Just make sure there is a cheap baseball glove lying around, to go with the bat. I have a rubber mallet and humongous pipe wrench, for house stuff & plumbing repairs, myself. If anyone asks πŸ˜‰

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

My husband and I live in a decent neighborhood in Calgary with our 15 year old boy. I am a prepper but they take no interest in emergency preparedness. I always want to be trained to handle firearms but my husband and son are strongly against the idea. They don't even want me to go for training let alone keeping any firearms at home. They maintained baseball bats are more effective when it came to fighting intruders (because guns are locked in safe) and that if we used a gun or anything in that nature very likely we would be charged.

I've read about good citizens got charged for protecting themselves in Canada so their concern might have some merits. But I am a woman with inferior strength compared to men. Wouldn't that make sense to have something to protect myself while I am at home alone? We can't have a dog because our son has allergy.

I believe that a workable solution has to do with short-term and long-term goals. In the short-term, I would suggest that you obtain some bear spray. it will quickly stop an intruder at which point s/he will want to get out. It can be used on multiple targets.The spray requires no permits, is portable and is non-lethal by design (using it doesn't constitute using deadly force). It is the preferred method in the home as it doesn't damage your property. A 12 Ga. shotgun wont be as forgiving. πŸ™‚

For a more long-term solution, you could take self-defence classes. I have taught these and feel that they are positive in that they boost female confidence in what is possible. This is however a double edged sword, as what they are actually capable of falls far short of what they may believe.

Martial arts training is positive, but requires years of training, fitness and dedication. Many people don't wish to put in the requisite time and effort. Perhaps a Ju-Jitsu class or two would suit your needs. This style has less to do with punching and kicking as it does with limb manipulation. It can be done in a closed in spaces and does not require power to apply it and at the same time negates the strength of the attacker.

Given your situation and concerns, I would not pursue firearms acquisition. I believe your best bet starts with "Black Belt in a can," bear spray....

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
althetrainer
(@althetrainer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you everyone for your input. I have taken self defense classes but the techniques I've learned were more for escaping under less violent situations. If the intruders are armed then I am screwed. But I do like the idea of owning a crossbow (thanks Peppercorn). I used to teach our son how to shoot a long bow until someone told me that it was illegal to shoot bow and arrows even in our own backyard. I probably can handle a crossbow easily and it will give me a bit more confidence. I also like the idea of bear spray. May not work very well if there's more than one intruder but that's better than nothing.

Scrounger, we have one baseball bat but my hands are too small to have a firm grip. I have a couple of 9 irons near the entrance of the house and one in my bedroom. I prefer the 9 iron because the handle is already padded and it's lighter for me to swing.

I am not going to give up the firearms idea completely, not just yet. I'd love to be able to handle at least a handgun and a rifle. If I can own one that's great, if not, at least I know how to use it if I have to. It's something in my head since I was very young, sort of my bucket list.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Alt, I just want to say, bear spray is good too, no one likes that stuff, but please be aware....used in your home....it will effect you as well as who you use it on. 2/3 third the effect on him but 1/3rd on you...this is from experience I am saying this.
Outside maybe different, depending on Circumstance .... but inside you will be feeling the effect of bear spray used indoors no ifs ands or buts.
If you go this route that's fine but practise with it...on yourself. Im not kidding, square in the face, take a blast! (don't plan anything else for the day, other than swearing)
The first time is the roughist, but believe it or not after that first time, it does get it easier, your more prepared for its effects, and not as prone to panic from its effects. I could take a blast ( as I have some experience) and while I likely wouldn't be able to return a punch, I could return reasonably accurate fire at room distances....
The crossbow has no such down side...

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

... I also like the idea of bear spray. May not work very well if there's more than one intruder but that's better than nothing.

Actually inside it works excellent for multiple attackers. Like Peppercorn mentioned, it may effect you as well. The key is extended arm reach, spray, close your eyes and move away. Regardless, you will be in a much better position than your attackers. The advantage is yours.

I've been exposed to CN, CS gas, as well as pepper spray. They all will stop you cold. As a police officer, I've used CN gas and pepper spray (several times). If you get a good dose of bear spray you will immediately seek water to wash it out. No one will wait around or pursue an assault. Even if they did, you would have the upper hand. Batter up... πŸ™‚

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network