May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Security Film for Windows and Door Glass

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@djprepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have this for their home and what brand / solution would you recommend ?

I need to harden a lot of areas, but focusing specifically on a front and 2 back doors that have plenty of glass in them.

The Lower Mainland is - never mind official statistics - a lot of increased property crime due to the relentless homeless & drug addiction problem that is just getting worse & worse.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

3m makes film, check out Home Depot as well. Not cheap and remember the door handle can get pushed in withe a sledge hammer. It's good stuff to deter but not stop a concerted effort to break in. Cheers

www.survive.triwolfsecurity.com

ReplyQuote
(@term0shad)
Estimable Member

True. If they want in. Doesn't matter what you do.

ReplyQuote
Antsy
(@antsy)
Reputable Member

I've installed the 3m product commercially. In my experience, the product is only as good at the window mullions and door substrate that holds the glazing in place. Something to think about.

A.

Needs must when the devil drives.

ReplyQuote
(@djprepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input, the goal is to delay entry by making it harder to smash and remove the glass.

The more time I have before the intruder is fully inside the house the better.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Antsy,

Is the 3m a diy job? Any insight on cost?

ReplyQuote
Antsy
(@antsy)
Reputable Member

Antsy,

Scrounger,

Every job is potentially a diy job 😀 That being said, I paid a window film company to do the work as my clients aren't paying me to "learn a new skill" on their project. It's not inexpensive either, however I don't know the hard cost on the product without installation. For me, the important thing is to have the product not visible on the glazing. As a diy job, I wouldn't be sure that air bubbles didn't get trapped in the film. Purely aesthetic.

A.

Needs must when the devil drives.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Thanks Antsy, I found a local company that does this work. Before contacting them I will look further into your comment on mullions/substrate. We have moved to an older house recently with very very old windows.

ReplyQuote
(@djprepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Antsy,

Scrounger,

Every job is potentially a diy job 😀 That being said, I paid a window film company to do the work as my clients aren't paying me to "learn a new skill" on their project. It's not inexpensive either, however I don't know the hard cost on the product without installation. For me, the important thing is to have the product not visible on the glazing. As a diy job, I wouldn't be sure that air bubbles didn't get trapped in the film. Purely aesthetic.

A.

I bought a small roll of film (not 3 M, but something similar) and it was a pain to do even a medium sized rectangular window pane in a door.

Getting bubbles out and not trapping finger prints / dust, etc was tedious.

I think DIY is possible, but for larger windows it will need maybe two people and the more time you take the better the result.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I've installed the 3m product commercially. In my experience, the product is only as good at the window mullions and door substrate that holds the glazing in place. Something to think about.

A.

Very, very true. But it does help and as mentioned, every bit helps

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network