May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Mom wants firearms

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
althetrainer
(@althetrainer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

... I also like the idea of bear spray. May not work very well if there's more than one intruder but that's better than nothing.

Actually inside it works excellent for multiple attackers. Like Peppercorn mentioned, it may effect you as well. The key is extended arm reach, spray, close your eyes and move away. Regardless, you will be in a much better position than your attackers. The advantage is yours.

I've been exposed to CN, CS gas, as well as pepper spray. They all will stop you cold. As a police officer, I've used CN gas and pepper spray (several times). If you get a good dose of bear spray you will immediately seek water to wash it out. No one will wait around or pursue an assault. Even if they did, you would have the upper hand. Batter up... πŸ™‚

Hmmm I have never tried spraying anything except wasps and my experience was not positive. I guess it will work as long as they're together and that I can spray them all at once. I started doing a bit reading on bear spray and pepper spray last night. it seems like using pepper spray on human even during self defense could result in being charged. Need to start looking for a good lawyer. πŸ˜†

ReplyQuote
(@dascribbler)
Estimable Member

althetrainer,

Swing by the Calgary Shooting Centre. They can line you up with a Firearms Safety Course so you can get your PAL (and RPAL if you wish). They just opened their own Shooting range there I believe, so you can practice and train there with the firearm of your choice.

However, as the media makes all too clear the use of a firearm in self defense has dire consequences in this country. So train to sport shoot, spend time killing paper targets and love the sport. Then just hope your new skills are never needed for anything other then paper.

DaScribbler

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Try the t-ball bat. Meant for small children Lot smaller grip. Shorter as well. Thrift stores are full of them. Golf club may be too long to swing in confined space. Not a big fan of the crossbow in this situation. Love it for hunting though. Check again about the longbow shooting in backyard.. Your municipality should have the correct answer for you.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Bug spray doesn't have the outward force of a pepper spray canister. The law allows you to use as much force as is necessary (but no more than is required) if you feel that your life (or the life of another) is threatened. In a house break-in situation, using pepper spray would not be considered 'using deadly force.' In any regard, I doubt you would be charged even though you used a butcher knife. The standard of care is what is reasonable under the circumstances.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
althetrainer
(@althetrainer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

DaScribbler, I did look into the shooting centre and I am still considering the option.

Scrounger, I will check out the t-ball bats to see if they will fit my hands better. Thanks for the suggestion. I did check Calgary bylaw about shooting in our backyard but it was 7+ years ago.

Wayne, I definitely will get some bear spray when I go to Mec next time. According to Calgary police, items like bear spray and mace are considered prohibited weapons. I have very little faith in Canadian justice but I will use it if I have to. Better alive to face jail time then being dead. LOL

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

I bought bear spray at MEC years ago - had to sign a waiver. It is still for sale. The assumption is that you would only use it against a bear, cougar, etc. It would likely only be considered prohibited weapon if used against a person.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

The Criminal Code of Canada prohibits a person from carrying any product designed for personal protection against a human attack. This includes anything. In other words, a weapon is something designed as a weapon, or anything that has the intention of being used as a weapon. If it is concealed, it is a concealed weapon.

There are a few cases (case law) on this. Intention is primary as it is an element in a criminal charge. In short, a crime consists of both a mental and a physical element. Mens rea, is the person's awareness that their conduct is criminal (the mental element), and actus reus (Their actions) is the physical element. Having something in your home does not (imo) demonstrate what would be required for a conviction.

Another element is the type of substance used. Bear spray is not designed for use against people (nor is a baseball bat). There is a difference between mace and bear spray. Mace contains a higher concentration of ο»Ώoleoresin capsicum and it has been prohibited in-Canada.

Five years ago in Quebec, a man used pepper spray to ward off an attack. No charges were laid because it was considered to be a legitimate method of self-defence. Like I mentioned, if you feel that your life (or the life of another) is threatened, you are authorized to use as much force as is necessary, but no more than required. You're good to go... πŸ™‚

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

The Criminal Code of Canada prohibits a person from carrying any product designed for personal protection against a human attack. This includes anything. In other words, a weapon is something designed as a weapon, or anything that has the intention of being used as a weapon. If it is concealed, it is a concealed weapon.

There are a few cases (case law) on this. Intention is primary as it is an element in a criminal charge. In short, a crime consists of both a mental and a physical element. Mens rea, is the person's awareness that their conduct is criminal (the mental element), and actus reus (Their actions) is the physical element. Having something in your home does not (imo) demonstrate what would be required for a conviction.

Another element is the type of substance used. Bear spray is not designed for use against people (nor is a baseball bat). There is a difference between mace and bear spray. Mace contains a higher concentration of ο»Ώoleoresin capsicum and it has been prohibited in-Canada.

Five years ago in Quebec, a man used pepper spray to ward off an attack. No charges were laid because it was considered to be a legitimate method of self-defence. Like I mentioned, if you feel that your life (or the life of another) is threatened, you are authorized to use as much force as is necessary, but no more than required. You're good to go... πŸ™‚

Wayne, appreciate your professional input on the matter, unfortunately, too many people simply provide opinions on topics that could have dire consequences. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network