May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Lifesaver Bottle Filters - Shelf Life

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@beansbulletsbandaids)
Topic starter  

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for extending the shelf life of Lifesaver water filters ( http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesaver-products/lifesaver-bottle ). I somewhat impulsively picked-up a couple for our BOBs and learned some time after that they have a 2-5 year shelf life.

I had the idea to seal in a mylar bag with some o2 absorbers. What else could I do?

Thanks from a newb.

(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

We have the same problem (same surprise upon reading the instructions that is).

I'd love to hear some responses from some of our water savvy contributors!

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Don't know the product but the shelf life must be due to a carbon filter. Well sealed it should extend the life quite a bit.

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

There is no carbon in the filter, they use plastic mono-filaments that the water is forced through but which virus' can't fit. Apparently there is a type of oil inside them that you need to flush out before use. I'm not sure why they would expire unless the oil evaporates and allows contaminants into the micro-tubes?

There is a carbon where the filtered water passes through but it is supposed to be for taste. They can be replaced separately from the specialized filter.

Here is a link to the technical data, hopefully you can understand it better than I;

http://www.lifesaverusa.com/resources/jerrycan-technical-info

ReplyQuote
(@goldie)
Honorable Member

I agree these are very pricey,
http://shop.lifesavingwater.ca/

The shower accessory was interesting . I was all set to buy something from this line until I saw the price tag.

So does that make the Berkey a better purchase ?

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

The Lifesaver seems like it's designed for a one time event and only a 3 year shelf life. In my case it would have expired before I even used it - then what?
And what happens after it's opened? How long will it work before you have to fork over another $150?
Ahh I see you can get a disaster pack, sealed for a 10 year shelf life - for $900

A Berkey can sit on the shelf for many years and replacement filters (candles) are cheaper with an indefinite shelf life . Each filter candle is good for 3000 gallons or 12000 - 14000 liters and cost about $60 each.
With a few buckets and a drill you can make a passable system with just the Berkey filters.

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

Yes, we are definitely paying for the portability of the system.

I see that the Berkey is also good for virus' like the Lifesaver but that the 3000 gallons only works if you clean it; "This is possible because of the filters unique ability to be cleaned up to 100 times using a 3M Scotch Brite Pad.

I wish I knew if the 3-year lifecycle was real or just a marketing gimmick...

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network