May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

would you live here?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
(@modernmithrandir)
Topic starter  

I know I don't post very often (I much prefer to lurk and learn lol) but I have a question I would put to the group and am very interested in thoughts and input.

There is currently a plan being put together to build a historically accurate `1300-1400C small settlement in Alberta (east of Calgary is the current goal). There is a good chance that there will be the opportunity for some people (including families) to live on-site, year round, long term. The one big thing is that those who do would be limited to the technologies of that time. The theory, I am told, is to take "living history" and "experimental archaeology" to a new level when compared to other sites of this kind in Canada.
(a UofC history proff who specializes in this time period is overseeing the accuracy of the site)
(trades familiar with the style/techniques of the period will be building the site from scratch)
You get a place to live and you get to have animals and a garden.

Sooooo.......

Would anyone here go and live there?
What concerns might you have?
What questions would you have before moving in?
Are there any "modern amenities" you would want/need that you would call a dealbreaker?
If you had a special skill familiar to this period (pottery, tanning and so on) and had the chance to open a shop/business from your new home, would that make a difference?
thoughts/input?

Please feel free to share this post with other off-grid or survivalist sites.......I would very much like to hear a range of thoughts on it.
thanks!

Antsy
(@antsy)
Reputable Member

In answer to your question... NO

The average life expectancy for a male child born in the UK between 1276 and 1300 was 31.3 years. In 1998, it is 76. However, by the time the 13th-Century boy had reached 20 he could hope to live to 45, and if he made it to 30 he had a good chance of making it into his fifties.Oct 29, 2011

I know that some preppers and survivalists like to wax poetic about the "good ol' days" with no real idea about history. For the sake of argument I am guessing that this group isn't going to turn its back on modern medicine, however there is a local story on CBC today talking about the poor immunization rates in Fort MacLeod due to group superstition, so perhaps I'm being too charitable.

What does a "historically accurate" Alberta community from 1300AD look like? If, instead, it will strive for a European community from that period I might remind the group that Alberta isn't England (or even New England for that matter).

With that being said, best of luck. There are certainly more fool hardy pursuits that our fellow citizens pursue and this one doesn't hurt anyone who hasn't volunteered. I do worry about the kids though... Will they be taught that the world is flat and the center of the universe?

Needs must when the devil drives.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

In a nut shell, no I would not want to live there.
I have lived without running water
I have lived without power
I have lived in the bush where it was ride in only
I have lived where we hauled water, I remember the joy at six of having a well drilled and the blessing of not having to haul milk cans of water, but instead be able to hook it up to a tractor and pull our own water.
I have cut hay with horse power, here on the farm, we have cut acres by hand, and rake it to dry and hand rolled it and hauled it by human and draft power
I have lived where we did everything with the horses.
Today, I know the work it takes to grow and put up with the tools I have..

The answer is No.. I am in my 40's and I Will do it if I have to.. but would I choose to.. no way.. Give me clean drinking water, hot water on demand and a pressure canner etc.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@morningcoffee)
Reputable Member

I'm in my early 60's. Would I choose to live without running water, indoor plumbing and power? I remember the farm when there was no running water, power or indoor plumbing and going to the outhouse in the middle of winter, turning on the lanterns at night, and pumping water by hand out in the yard from the well and while it is fun to remember those times doing it just because ... definitely not. If I had to, I could but it wouldn't be my first choice. To each his own however!

"It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret"

ReplyQuote
(@kootenay-kid)
Reputable Member

Like morningcoffee, I am in my early 60's. I've lived the roughing it lifestyle, and would not go back to it by choice. I could if I had to, but, not by choice any more. Too old for that stuff.

ReplyQuote
 Zana
(@zana)
Estimable Member

Modern medicine would be a deal breaker for me. And also the ability to leave to visit family.
If I had children and could agree to a one year term , I think it would be a great learning experience. But, only if it had a time limit. Children raised there wouldn't have a chance outside there in the job market place. The real world these days moves so fast. It would be nice to slow down and like a survival show-see if you could "cut it".
The idea of having a trade strikes me as a good one. You'll have to check out the details. I think for critters a pair of breeding goats might be good. Goat cheese is easy to make, milk is good, not bad eating (not as much to store as a cow) and they aren't fussy eaters (good for clearing weeds).Laying chickens would be good too. The U of A has heritage chickens that the sell.
Let us know when you learn more. It sounds interesting! Would be nice if people could visit for a weekend or a week in the summer to get a taste of it.

ReplyQuote
 Zana
(@zana)
Estimable Member

PS in reply to Antsy talking about "the good old days". As a prepper I would like the idea of community and a slower simpler lifestyle. But, like most Preppers we are also getting ready with generators, solar lights, gas pumps, electric bikes and stores of modern stuff to tide us over a spell with no power.
If one were joining the reinactment group you would have none of those tools or supplies including modern seeds to plant.
I think most Preppers are thinking of the good old times with many modern upgrades. They are thinking of the simplicity of times gone by with a lot of the drudgery taken out of it.

ReplyQuote
(@modernmithrandir)
Topic starter  

First, let me thank everyone who posted a note to reply to my question. It was very informative and helpful.

As you might have guessed, it was a question that was part of a "research phase" for the group I work with so we could get a bead on where our target group might be found. This same question was asked in several different forums in different groups. (post-secondary history students, re-enactor groups, survivalists......it was quite a list). We were gathering information in a lot of arenas and all of your replies helped us to understand what we were aiming for and what kinds of things would need to be taken into consideration.

Now that the project is starting (by no means complete....but getting there fast!) I thought it might of interest some to see what had come out at the other end of the research phase.

https://www.facebook.com/Alberta-Medieval-Settlement-LTD-125486201434588/?modal=media_composer

ReplyQuote
(@term0shad)
Estimable Member

Not to be rude. But odds are it wont happen. Unless some modern tools. Yes most off us have the tools for old school stuff. But lets see you chop a tree by axe. Chop it into section to split it and see if you would want to do that every day. Shit thats a big amount for here in alberta. 5 cords if not more to heat in winter. Trust me a cord off word just splitting with axe after chainsaw does rest. Not counting on rest of stuff i do off grid living. Basically living that way. But with tools that make it easier.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network