May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

BOB Axe

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@ihwaz)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I got me a Woods Kangee T-Hawk axe for Christmas. I was out today playing with it and that thing rocks. It is now a great and permanent addition on my Bug Out Bag. Its tough and keeps the weight of my bag from getting out of control. Does anyone else have a cool tool they use or would recommend?

The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Well, to offset the fact that I use my axes often as well as think of them as emergency tools...

I'd give serious thought to Fiskars products as well. They come sharp, are super light, and have a LIFETIME warranty. The handle breaks, and they send you a new one. period. Granted, a warranty is not much use in a zombie apocalypse, but in the interim, life goes on and the tool gets used. It's a quality product for the price-point, despite the hate on for them from some. (ie Wranglerstar on youtube). There will be plenty of axes with wooden handles lying around after the dust settles if you prefer those. By the same token, being able to change out handles for the metal head is a moot point, if they no longer make replacement handles either:)

I also recommend a Leatherman (pick your model based on needs, I use a Wave), side cutters, A full size axe (Fiskars), and naturally a swede saw (bow saw). Crank radio, Tarp, etc. I have no 'cool' tools, only practical and useful ones:)

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
albertaborn
(@albertaborn)
Trusted Member

Me I would recommend a cross peen because if I have a blacksmiths hammer I can build almost anything, including the axe, the draw knife, the camp knife, the pot to cook in, the utensils to eat with and so much more because one of the easiest things to find is metal the other is wood.

Things I say are my opinion, which is like belly buttons everybody has one.
Anything I say is not meant to anger or offend just to encourage discussion between adults.

ReplyQuote
PrepandReady
(@prepandready)
Eminent Member

I purchased a SOG Tomahawk knife from Canadian Tire, I think I paid $50, i think they are $60 bucks now. Has been a great B.O.B. item. Ive used many times for making kindling and chopping small amounts of wood. Its great fun throwing at targets when camping too. "Light enough" for my back pack, and cheap enough to put it through some high stress stuff. Obviously you can pay for lighter gear always. But for a axe, I wouldn't spend top dollar.

Info:

Blade Style: axe
Blade Length: 2" (5 cm)
Blade Steel Grade: 420 stainless - Rc. 51-53
Knife Weight: 19 oz (539 g)
Handle Details: fiberglass/nylon
Sheath Details: tactical nylon sheath
Very versatile tool for chopping, hammering, prying, and even throwing
Lightweight and easy to use, it's designed with a tough ballistic polymer handle
Reinforced neck to protect against missed hits
Includes a nylon sheath that easily attaches to belt or pack, making it easy to carry

ReplyQuote
albertaborn
(@albertaborn)
Trusted Member

There are so many great axes available now. From a readily accessible point of view it is hard not to find one that will serve for a survival axe. The darn thing is Axes are like, knives and other tools ... One just isn't enough. 🙂

Things I say are my opinion, which is like belly buttons everybody has one.
Anything I say is not meant to anger or offend just to encourage discussion between adults.

ReplyQuote
(@grumpy-bear)
Trusted Member

I bought a Fiskars hatchet, same as the Sog hatchet (not tomahawk) much less expensive. My tomahawk is for chopping meat and bone that's the only use it will get.

Be Discreet, Be Friendly, Be Safe.
Most of all "Be Ready"

ReplyQuote
(@koddie)
Eminent Member

Fiskars Axe and a splitting wedge. Love Fiskar products. I have used the axe for years camping and such. Our local range has a wood stove and a cheap hatchet. Got so fed up with it I purchased another Fiskars axe for the club.

The splitting wedge is great for larger logs but if I had to bug out it would likely be left behind. It weighs too much especially if on foot.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network