May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

filters

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@pepper)
Topic starter  

I wasn't able to get on for quite awhile but am back now. I have a question about filters, I have a well and a 1000 gal cistern, the well trickly pumps into the cistern so the well isn't stressed, I only have 1 gal per minute of water but it is working okay, didn't run out of water last summer. I would like to get a filter for inside ( like a Berkley) so that if I lose power and have to take water from the cistern I can filter it inside as it wouldn't run through my filters outside. Any suggestions for the one that would work the best. It is just another method of keeping my water good.

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I own a Berkey (Travel size, it was best value for my needs). I can only rely on their scientific reporting of filtration values as I have no means to check myself. I have however completed the "red food dye test" and can say that the Berkey can remove the dye out of the water. I was curious and did the same with a Brita "filter" we also owned and the water ran red/pink after filtration; letting me guess that at the very least, it filters a lot more than a cheap Brita.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I have a Big Berkey and use four elements. It filters just over six liters per hour.

We're on a well with a submersible pump. I have a manual pump which feeds into the pressure system, so that I can deliver water throughout the house in-case of a power failure. Filtration is normally through the water softeners and a reverse osmosis system, but if the power goes-out ( and the generators are off-line for some reason). the Berkey is available. Zerowater filters are another back-up position and then it's personal Sawyers... 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@pepper)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info, I have a submersible pump also, I was told I couldn't use a manual pump on it so I will have to recheck that. I can run the pump with my generator but if it is a long outage then I want the filter in the house. I have the two normal filters plus a USB outside in the pump house. Water could be a problem for me if we have a really long outage ( more than a month) I will also get a personal filter.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Thanks for the info, I have a submersible pump also, I was told I couldn't use a manual pump on it so I will have to recheck that. I can run the pump with my generator but if it is a long outage then I want the filter in the house. I have the two normal filters plus a USB outside in the pump house. Water could be a problem for me if we have a really long outage ( more than a month) I will also get a personal filter.

The depth of the well isn't as important as the static water level. When the well is flooded, how far is the water below the pump? If this is less than 25 feet, you can use a handpump. As the water level has never been less than 12 feet below the well head here, it's never a problem. This is particularly inviting in cold / increment weather and the ability to get water discretely.

Even if the water level is too deep in your well, you could pump water from your cistern directly into your pressure system. This avoids hauling water completely.

This is the system I use in the basement, which allows me to pump water directly into the pressure system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Lt4kgFafE

If the water level is deeper than 25 feet, you can either use a deep well hand pump at the well head. Alternatively, you could open the well head and bail the water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-YNWrsvj4

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network