May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Watch

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Who still wears one. If so, is it just a watch or have you succumbed to the apple style do everything. Personally I'm still just a regular watch guy. Have 7 or 8 of them. Mostly cheaper timex. Very seldom buy new. So whats riding on your wrist?

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Basic cheap, β€œno name” fitness tracker/watch. I’m really enjoying tracking my steps and information when I run or exercise; it’s a motivator. It charges on USB, a couple of hours for a week worth of use.

I also have an eco-drive (solar) by Citizen.

I’m debating spending $300 on the Garmin Instinct to track fitness and couple with a GPS. The later being somewhat quite useful in my line of work.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Who still wears one. If so, is it just a watch or have you succumbed to the apple style do everything. Personally I'm still just a regular watch guy. Have 7 or 8 of them. Mostly cheaper timex. Very seldom buy new. So whats riding on your wrist?

I work with my hands so much, I cant wear a watch, it will just get smashed up, but sometimes I do, like when travelling and such. Only like mechanicals, I am partial to the old self winders. I have some old ones that include the alarm function, that was rare back in the day.
I have two of these, one NIB, and one I wear sometimes. Its a timex, but swiss movement and a self winder. Its the Timex sub mariner on this page. http://www.darlor-watch.com/wrist_watches_4.html
I used to buy from this guy but his prices are now to much for me. I bought them for 200.00 Canadian 10-15 years ago now he is selling them for 500.00 American, he will get that price, they arnt making more.
My favorite is a simple, absolutely plain jane, manual wind. I just like it for its absolute simple, large, clear features. (accurate as well)

I would guess 1998ish production, PolJot is now defunct and the tooling sold off so no more will be made. I think I paid 20 or 25 Americanski dollars for it at the time. Its large but thin.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have one eco drive. It is my dress watch, so usually only out for weddings/funerals. Only one winder. A 90's era Marathon field watch. But at 34mm with a 16mm strap it just looks to small on my wrist. 40mm seems to be the sweet spot size wise for me. It was in my Dad's stuff so I will hang onto it.
Your sub mariner has a real Seiko feel to it. Nice

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I have 2 non-electric time pieces.
One is an old pocket watch, a Waltham 7 jewel (would have been an everyday watch for an average joe)...still works well so long as it is kept upright like it would be if kept in a vest pocket.
The other is an old mantle clock...works well and has the hourly chime.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

I am an avid horologist! πŸ™‚

My sports watch is a Garmin 920XT which I wear religiously for training....but for everyday use...well I have a variety of watches...

Right Now I'm wearing my Fencing Chronograph PRC200 from Tissot as an everyday (They are a major sponsor of sport fencing), but I have a great summer watch from meccaniche veneziane.. the redentore that I'm still wearing into the fall. I keep my Hamilton Jazzmaster open heart for semi to formal occasions....well I have 16 watches now ranging from Seiko, to Concord, to Hamilton, etc. All entry/mid level swiss made. A nifty local company is Bonheur out of Burlington if wood catches your eye. They have some pretty nice stuff, albeit using a cheaper movement from Seiko inside them. But all pieces are numbered, and every year they switch stuff up: https://bonheurwatch.com/ That would be my advertisement for the day. πŸ™‚

I'm looking at Montblanc and Tudor for my next purchases...but biding my time. I wont buy anymore in North America...the prices are literally 1/3 to 1/4 in parts of Europe for the exact same watches.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Sadly all battery. Tissot, really nice wafer thin Seiko, timex and a cardinal.. man do i regret not keeping my old wind up Seiko from the 70's, thing was bullet proof and kept excellent time.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I have 2 non-electric time pieces.
One is an old pocket watch, a Waltham 7 jewel (would have been an everyday watch for an average joe)...still works well so long as it is kept upright like it would be if kept in a vest pocket.
The other is an old mantle clock...works well and has the hourly chime.

Correction...make that 3. I almost forgot about my wind up alarm clock. You know, the ones with the 2 bells on top and a hammer in the middle of them.

ReplyQuote
(@gallowshumour)
Trusted Member

Mine is a Seiko Kinetic; winds itself whenever your arm moves. If your arm stops moving because you died, well then you've got all the time in the world, haven't you. I would never rely on my smart phone, what with the possibility of the battery running down if I couldn't charge it. I also prefer watches with hands, for their ability to be used as a rough survival compass on sunny days.

The only real issues I've had with my Seiko (bought around 2012) are with the steel-link band. The paint on the band (a very dark, olive-green color) rubbed off half of the links within the first year. More annoyingly, the semi-circular covers on the ends of the band (which partially wrap around the watch case at the spring pins) have a tendency to slowly bend/flex upward over time and stick out from the case. That allows the sharp, pointy edges of the cover to snag on your sleeves when pulling on a coat (I once cut my finger on it, too; sharp!). Occasionally I'd crimp the covers down with small pliers, but I've finally decided to solve the problem with a nylon NATO-style watch band (waiting for my online order now). One plus of the NATO-style watch band is if one of the spring pins fails, the watch will stay attached to your wrist by the other pin and the band; you'd have to have both pins fail simultaneously to lose the watch case.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

Mine is a Seiko Kinetic; winds itself whenever your arm moves. If your arm stops moving because you died, well then you've got all the time in the world, haven't you. I would never rely on my smart phone, what with the possibility of the battery running down if I couldn't charge it. I also prefer watches with hands, for their ability to be used as a rough survival compass on sunny days.

The only real issues I've had with my Seiko (bought around 2012) are with the steel-link band. The paint on the band (a very dark, olive-green color) rubbed off half of the links within the first year. More annoyingly, the semi-circular covers on the ends of the band (which partially wrap around the watch case at the spring pins) have a tendency to slowly bend/flex upward over time and stick out from the case. That allows the sharp, pointy edges of the cover to snag on your sleeves when pulling on a coat (I once cut my finger on it, too; sharp!). Occasionally I'd crimp the covers down with small pliers, but I've finally decided to solve the problem with a nylon NATO-style watch band (waiting for my online order now). One plus of the NATO-style watch band is if one of the spring pins fails, the watch will stay attached to your wrist by the other pin and the band; you'd have to have both pins fail simultaneously to lose the watch case.

I have a Seiko kinetic and its once of my favourite time pieces. They typically have a power reserve of +80 hours. Not only are they an automatic watch (movement winds them up) they have a tiny capacitor in them, so it charges this, giving that extra bit of running time. Seiko makes a great line of watches. The Grand Seiko's....now there is class. πŸ˜‰

That sucks about the band. A lot of watches (citizen is notorious for this as well) use a rubbed on colour to the stainless steel which comes off over time. Its not uncommon to get new bracelets/straps for a watch, i've done the same. Sometimes...they spend so much time on the watch, the strap is almost an afterthough....

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network