May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Cellphone based Mesh Networks

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The goTennaMesh hit my radar today. Neat idea, using cellphones to create a mesh network for messaging participants.
https://gotennamesh.com/

Not inexpensive, but if I understand this right, it isn't dependent on cell towers to relay messages from phone to phone, might be better than handheld radios, especially with many participants over a large area.

Grouchyprepper
(@grouchyprepper)
Estimable Member

yes , neat idea ...like you said not cheap.
I think a good quality 2 way radio would be a better option for a group.
I wonder what the range is on those?

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

It does look interesting. Based on a bit of googling it seems like it was initially for designed for civvie use. With the hope that gov would eventually buy in and become the main consumer. Perhaps if gov builds a big enough network, it may open it up to people similar to GPS in the eighties.

This is range for 1 to 1 comm. Should I assume it increases as more nodes are added? I guess you could pair with older phone and build repeaters similar to Ham. As always, how much you want to spend to do what.

City street to city street: 0.5-1 mile
Forest to forest: 2-3 miles
Water to water: 4-6 miles
Desert to desert: 4-6 miles

The company notes on its website that a 50-mile range is possible in the rare circumstances of mountaintop-to-mountaintop communications.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network