May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Pandemic

42 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

relative in Quebec informed me that discussion was heard on the radio about shutting down some visitor traffic on the montreal to laurentians Highway, a sort of check point Charley / “Claude”

Quebec pulled that back in the spring for a bit on major routes between ontario and Quebec so guessing they are even pondering it for inner province traffic..perhaps Denob can enlighten. Daily case count was over 800 yesterday

Keep the Ears up for anyone thinking of making a break for it, things happen fast at times and there are often little hints if you pay attention, discard old preconceptions and are willing to gamble a bit. People may laugh at you if there are some false alarms but I prefer that to the alternative.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

relative in Quebec informed me that discussion was heard on the radio about shutting down some visitor traffic on the montreal to laurentians Highway, a sort of check point Charley / “Claude”

Quebec pulled that back in the spring for a bit on major routes between ontario and Quebec so guessing they are even pondering it for inner province traffic..perhaps Denob can enlighten. Daily case count was over 800 yesterday

Keep the Ears up for anyone thinking of making a break for it, things happen fast at times and there are often little hints if you pay attention, discard old preconceptions and are willing to gamble a bit. People may laugh at you if there are some false alarms but I prefer that to the alternative.

This would come as no surprise. Yesterday's case count was closer to 900 (896).
These are figures that we saw in the height of the first wave. The difference now is the extremely low death/hospitalizaation/ICU rate.
In any case, yes, Quebec did in fact have road closures between regions last time around, so it would come as no surprise if they did it again.
I suspect however that any restrictions like that would be targeted very specifically to "red zones".

If you are thinking of going to a BOL, make sure you know the back road routes, and if you make the decision to go...go fast and without hesitation.

Update Sept.29 - Yesterday it was confirmed that 3 regions in Quebec went Red Alert, Montreal area being one of them. For now, travel OUT of red zones is "strongly discouraged" but not restricted in any way. When asked about police road closures in and out of these areas, the response was that there are not for now, but that officers could be placed on major roads to inform travelers of the danger.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

This would come as no surprise. Yesterday's case count was closer to 900 (896).
These are figures that we saw in the height of the first wave. The difference now is the extremely low death/hospitalizaation/ICU rate.
In any case, yes, Quebec did in fact have road closures between regions last time around, so it would come as no surprise if they did it again.
I suspect however that any restrictions like that would be targeted very specifically to "red zones".

If you are thinking of going to a BOL, make sure you know the back road routes, and if you make the decision to go...go fast and without hesitation.

Update Sept.29 - Yesterday it was confirmed that 3 regions in Quebec went Red Alert, Montreal area being one of them. For now, travel OUT of red zones is "strongly discouraged" but not restricted in any way. When asked about police road closures in and out of these areas, the response was that there are not for now, but that officers could be placed on major roads to inform travelers of the danger.

I am guessing that within two weeks the ontario border along with Laurentian Autoroute and the 10 to eastern townships will have checkpoints. what with Fall color tourists and various hunting seasons.

look at doing dry runs on the back roads Denob mentions, use a few GPS units to log any route/s Same if you plan on using an ATV or sled. trees and flooded swamps may mess with off road trails you were fine with this summer.

make sure the vehicles are all in as good a shape as one can afford, spare tire can be accessed and not stuck with mug and stone like mine once was 😳 👿 Speaking of which, maybe put those winter tires on NOW, i plan on doing that in next week or so.

yep, get ready to spend the winter, spring and maybe the better part of the summer of 21 in a second location. the second wave the ignoramuses in charge are acting all shocked about will very likely see a third wave this spring.

lots of people are going to be in a world of pain this coming year, ticked over no Christmas cheer or family visitations, angry, broke, depressed, ill from maladies they cant get treated at the hospital, snowbirds stuck freezing in Canada this winter, maybe an election come spring, extremely high unemployment, a national debt that no one really seems to care about or understand or be willing to discuss, organized crime will make some good coin and gain influence...

road closures will be small potatoes when compared to the rest that will occur but yes, do not hesitate to go when the time strikes and be wise about route selection, fuel along the way, be friendly to locals when you stop and tank up, make sure you buy stuff from that gas station even if you don't need it. it helps keep them happy and maybe not reporting you.

maybe because you don't hunt, you have never been to the remote location during hunting season, but you may bump into some of those folks this fall, some may even be hunting on your property all these years and you never even knew it, well be ready for a surprise and possibly an unfriendly one at that if you take a dislike to their truck blocking your private road while the "boys" are out and about with a few drinks in them and you are sitting there fuming mad. These folks may also decide to hang out at their camp this winter so thats another potential surprise. Unless one really reconnoiters the area during different seasons, you never get a good grasp on who is just over the hill.

happy 20/21

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Well the checkpoints are now up around red zones in Quebec.
At this point in time, they are informing and discouraging travel between regions and no actual travel restrictions are in place
...yet.
I think it's a matter of time (and not necessarily a lot of time) before that changes.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Does anyone know where we can find "COVID Maps" for each provinces?

I may end up having to do some travels (by helicopter) across the country and would like to be able to choose my fuel spots based on educated choices.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I may end up having to do some travels (by helicopter) across the country and would like to be able to choose my fuel spots based on educated choices.

Cant help with other provinces but for Alberta I find these two sites useful.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/zones/zones.aspx

https://www.alberta.ca/maps/covid-19-status-map.htm#toc-3

Very likely each province will have such info available, googler should find them.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Cant help with other provinces but for Alberta I find these two sites useful.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/zones/zones.aspx

https://www.alberta.ca/maps/covid-19-status-map.htm#toc-3

Very likely each province will have such info available, googler should find them.

Yes, exactly like your second link!

Particularly interested about Ontario, but I thought this could be a good intel piece to pin somewhere on this forum.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Heli et al
Here’s a link for ontario and the fourth graph down usually s how’s the regional stats
/ under demographics and cases by location.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data

Colleges and universities in montreal region are shut down. Same for restaurants and bars ( not just peeler bars like us hypocrites in Ontario are targeting)

Have to say I have been off with my mid late September closing of schools In Ontario but in fairness to my large ego, most English public schools didn’t start till the 14tnth so we will see what next week or two brings. Guessing ontario will follow with restaurants after thanksgiving is out of the way and that they are just trying to prolong the death Nell for a good chunk of downtown business, that and retail stores. They close and they will be closed till early summer ( if lucky) and that would beyond disastrous in financial terms. I think retail sales at Christmas account for over 70% of annual income! It’s not just the stores but the entire supply chain, trucks, folks who decorate the stores, student jobs, cleaning, .. even snow removal services would be cut down for empty malls. Loss in tax revenue would also be huge and would even include hit to revenue to utility companies its because if no one is in the stores, you don’t need lights or as much heat, gas tax revenues would also tank.

No it’s not the death rate that’s important here, but financial impact to the nation and it’s citizens. Yes I know death isn’t fun and I am trying hard to stay above ground but the big threat with very far ranging changes will come from the financial hit.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

First and foremost. Happy thanksgiving to one and all. Our family is very fortunate and benefiting from a great harvest from garden and the bush. With exception of flour butter and beverages, everything is a result of our labour and it feels really good. So everyone have a great day, rest, rejoice in the comforts available and be thankful for what we do have.

Not limited to the current pandemic but applicable for most cases and I realize this can’t be done by everyone but I get the impression a number of people on this board have some decent sized properties and I haven’t heard anyone mention fuel tanks? I am guessing FG has one or more ( gas and diesel) for her equipment but is this not something people should be exploring more?

Peppercorn with his heater would benefit from a good 1000 liter farm tank or even a Home fuel Oil tank. Out in eastern Ontario, you can rent the big 1000 liter tanks, (gas or diesel) three of them for a total of 30.00 a month or even get them for free because you use their fuel.

So I would recommend people with some farm sized property look at either buying or renting a tank/s or even getting a few home oil tanks for the cottage or BOL and filling them up with whatever you need for generator or various vehicles and tools. If you go to the cottage often, plan your vehicle top ups so you draw from the reserve tank and have the fuel company top them up once a month or so.

They are getting crazier with safety on the large farm tanks and now require bollards so one doesn’t drive into a tank, concrete pads and of course distance from a building but even that is easy to accommodate. Check into it and you may save all the drama of filling and emptying of jerry cans. Whatever big tank you may get, pop a small hand pump on it and it takes no time to top up a tractor or even 80 liters into a truck. I have two gas ones and I alternate them so one tank is guaranteed to always be full and the fuel is never bad because we cycle through it. Less so now that I hardly drive but still no issues, but as a precaution more then a likely need, I pop some stabilizer into them.

Enjoy your bird !

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Clarence, your advice on checking out the legalities of fuel storage is good, but I have wasted a hour trying to do so for my area, both county, and province and I am more confused now than when I started. I will just continue doing what I have been doing, filling 50 and 30 gallon plastic barrels with diesel. No more than two or 3 in any one location. I am only going to build up to 2500, maybe 3000 liters of storage. Not a great amount in the big scheme of things. Maybe I will put a few barrels in the box of a old pick up or two , so storage wouldnt be considered permanent. Always ways around regulations...if I could just figure out what they are?

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Sorry but no idea for your area. My advice, 1 check with some local farmers as to what they are living with. 2 call a few fuel delivery companies. The ones that drop off diesel, and gas also do propane. They know all the local bylaw malarkey and is old hat for them.

Now I think you may be a tad on how shall we say, The “frugal” side 😯
Unless your going through a lot of fuel, they will likely charge you a few cents more per liter then local station. one will also not benefit from a price war so no matter what, it will be a bit costlier then at the pump. But one heck of a lot easier to manage, just not your level of stealth/ longevity of supply!

Bon chance

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

So I'm back to Alberta after a week "on the road". Travelling across the country during a pandemic is very eery, especially the airline flight back from Montreal. I'm not sure there was 1,000 people in all of Toronto Pearson airport and only a couple of eateries were opened.

Hotels are trying hard to make things as safe as possible. None of them offered the usual self-serve breakfast but would instead throw a few things into a brown bag for you from behind the counter. We didn't take cabs anywhere (we used rental cars that reeked of chemical cleaners). Compliance to COVID protocols varied greatly from quite "by the book" in larger areas - which we ironically avoided - to lackadaisical in smaller communities. The lady at the Regina airport refuelling station (FBO) compulsively followed us and disinfected everything we touched; as awkward as it felt, it was re-assuring.

AirCanada flight back in a 50% capacity filled aircraft, I was sitting in the same area as my helicopter crew so even fewer regular passengers in my environment. Flight attendants limited cabin service to a ziplock bag filled with: A spare mask, a small water bottle, a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer, pretzel bites and headset. Some flight attendants wore hospital-type disposable gowns on top of their uniforms, gloved with a mask and shield on. Toronto airport had a couple neat UV cleaning machines for cellphones and other small objects, but I was expecting more hand sanitizer bottles than I could find.

I would certainly not travel for vacations these days, but I think that one can smartly travel across provincial borders while mitigating risks as much as possible.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

121 000, thats the latest daily high score in land of the free (cough, cough). There isnt anyway you can do effective contact tracing with numbers like that, not even with half those numbers. Now that the mad king must exit the stage for the next performers you can bet he will punish his audience for not clapping hard enough for him. If you thought nothing was done before to limit the spread, watch out now, its about to get a lot worse. With deaths lagging, I am thinking we should see multi thousand a day dead by the end on Nov. Just the price you pay to be free, isnt it America? Funny that its the same cost you would pay to be stupid. I cant think of a country and people that deserves it more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-counties-election-1.5792180

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Its a good thing he closed the border to Ch-ina when he did lol. Speaking of Ch-ina, my friends who live in Beijing say life seems to be back to normal. Of course masks are worn by everybody.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network