May 03, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Pressure canners

27 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Peppercorn, consider putting a ad up looking for a pressure canner on your local buy ands sell.. as money get tighter peaple will e looking to sell things and there will e pressure canners sitting in basements gotten but not used.. maybe you can snap one up..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ok, I will take a look at those, I should be in the city sometime in the next few days. Why when I see the specs of the pressure canners do I see them list how many pint and quart jars they hold but I dont think I have seen a spec for how many 1/2 gallon jars they hold (1.9 liter size) I have a huge amount of half gallon jars and want to be able to use them.

morning that would ecause half gallons are not considered safe by the canning centers they are storage jars for dried goods or they are used for fermenting .. not for active canning.. so the canner are not built for them nor give the stats for them.. sorry

I have screwed up big time then, as I have been been buying a case each time I am at CT. I could have swore I had watched some u tubers canning with them. Is it possible that there is miss-information on youtube?

Was in HH and Peavey Mart, both out of canners. That link you posted Clarence, shows every model on back order.

Peppercorn, I only noticed two canners on back order! and I know that because I was curious and had paid attention. Once again, it seems that things change in minutes to hours! I swear, we had best look real hard at what it is we want or need and aggressively snag while one still can ( no pun intended) This time next summer is going to look real interesting.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Peppercorn, consider putting a ad up looking for a pressure canner on your local buy ands sell.. as money get tighter peaple will e looking to sell things and there will e pressure canners sitting in basements gotten but not used.. maybe you can snap one up..

I may just do that. I am faced with winter coming fast and not enough hours in the day at the moment to get what i must do done, check back on this thread in a day or so I will have a question for you about canning after I take a picture.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I was given this, told that someone used it for canning, dont know anything about it but it sure doesnt look like something from the pressure canning videos I have been watching. What is it used for??

also I started buying up 1 liter jars and now I notice on the case the word "decorative" I can use these... right? or are these just ornamental?

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@learner)
Reputable Member

That looks like it was probably used for water bath canning and yes you can use those jars.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Hi Peppercorn,

Nice snag on the double burner water bath canner.. awesome my grandmother used to have one. my one aunt has it.. its a big one and its used for water bath canning so anything you are doing that way this will work great as long as you are doing big batches of it.. if you are doing a small batch then the round single burner would better energy cost wise but if you are doing larger batches of pickled beets or plain tomato sauce or apple sauce etc then you can do 2.5 times the amount of jars in one go with it..

The jars you got are good and will last you many years the reason it says that is because they have a "pretty" pattern pressed into the side of the jars.. instead of being straight sided.. it does not effect their function at all.. its just "prettier" if you are gifting your home canning.. so if they are available and or on sale.. snag them .. no difference on them working well.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Hi Peppercorn,

The jars you got are good and will last you many years the reason it says that is because they have a "pretty" pattern pressed into the side of the jars.. instead of being straight sided.. it does not effect their function at all.. its just "prettier" if you are gifting your home canning.. so if they are available and or on sale.. snag them .. no difference on them working well.

Ok, that makes sense. I couldnt figure out why some said "decorative" and not others. Water bath canning? something else I will have to learn about. Not now winter is coming, and I dont have enough hours in the day at the moment. Where did summer go?

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

We do the bulk of our canning through hot water bath method. It’s simple and “fast”. Downside is throwing a ridiculous amount of moisture in the house. Not too bad in Alberta, unless it’s pouring rain outside.

ReplyQuote
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Water bath canning is mainly used for pickles, jams, jellies and tomatoes in most forms. Pressure canning is for veggies, soups, etc. For info on the canning, a good book is Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving. It has everything in there. It is $27.26 on amazon.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Water bath canning is mainly used for pickles, jams, jellies and tomatoes in most forms. Pressure canning is for veggies, soups, etc. For info on the canning, a good book is Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving. It has everything in there. It is $27.26 on amazon.

I will have that book here by fall.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I use the USDA Guide to Home Canning. Downloaded for free and printed it out then put it in a binder.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I use the USDA Guide to Home Canning. Downloaded for free and printed it out then put it in a binder.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

I will read up on this over the winter.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network