April 29, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Do you plan to be a lonewolf or part of a like minded band?

62 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
16.4 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I believe Wayne mentioned being a member of a commune. With exception of one fraternal group, I have never been a group type person and definitely a lone wolf. BUT, can work with those who know what they are doing and where we all know our limits or capabilities and keep our nose/opinions out of things we are out of our league on. In recent profession, one of the things i did was run a team of technicians. Each had a skill set and over the course of twenty years, we each grew closer and never once would we step into the other persons world. we would look at a problem and brainstorm but when it became obvious that the issue was better left with Sam, we shut up and let him lead. it worked perfectly and i would have to say, i never witnessed a more capable technical team in my life. I have a hell of an ego, but i know my weaknesses and defer to others until such time as i think i know better.

My best friend who i mentioned below, will be harder to get along with then most of my other professional friends or acquaintances. he cant keep equipment in good order and that drives me up a wall. my stuff has to be near by, in good shape and ready where and when I want it. to be in a dangerous situation and find a needed item not there or broken is not what i am about. he is also new to firearms and at an older age and being pigheaded, he refuses to accept the fact that he is a danger and follow orders or instructions without question. Good guy, but no way will i have him behind me with a loaded firearm. So ya, one does not need people who are a risk to the group. maybe strong, have skill sets and your best friend but if they are a lose cannon then they are not worth it. as a resource and occasional cooperative efforts, ok, but not permanent member living in the same house.

others have recently mentioned how we white Anglo Saxon types tend to be more independent than other cultures and i think that is an accurate statement. we just need to find the right people and learn how to work with others when needed. Don't have to be their best bud, but know how to get along, if even for only a few hours or precious minutes to seconds.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Clarence,

I'm a lot like you in that if there's a job to be done, the most qualified in the group is designated as the leader. I'm happy to work in a support role doing whatever I can and will work as directed. The ability to work in a team with others is an asset in my opinion and may be a matter of life and death (at least this is my experience in military and police work).

Living together is a different matter all-together. The incidence of divorce proves this point. Even living with family members can be difficult at times, but family is family. All anyone has to do is look at their life experience to realize that any group is difficult to maintain and at times impossible.

I know what you mean about best friends. I ended up living with my best friend before I was married. He drove me crazy leaving clothing dropped on the floor wherever. Dishes unwashed, etc., etc., I got my own place a few weeks after that. We worked together and I laughingly kidded him about it for years until he died on the job. Great friend, just not someone I could live with.

Ideally, people should have their privacy, but be close enough together to make working together doable and secure. term0shad has a good idea about a MAG. The problem that I see is admittance of people that you don't know enough. In-particular, how they would react in a crisis and times of extreme discomfort. Group dynamics can completely ruin group cohesion and destroy productivity. In a survival situation it can result in death. I hate to see people set themselves up for failure.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

As generations of the military can attest, it's very difficult to gauge how people will react under extreme duress/stress.

Best you can hope for in a amateur MAG is compatible personalities for the bulk of activities.

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Although a civilian group has a more difficult time ascertaining how other individuals will react, one method is for everyone to enroll in an Outward Bound program. People will learn about themselves and the group dynamic and better understand how each other reacts in a survival situation. This program tests the mental as well as the physical. It's mainly an inward journey that builds a team.

Going to the trouble of building 'team properties' for the expressed purpose of survival when the SHTF without knowing what you're getting into seems foolhardy to me. If you parachute, you don't jump out of the airplane with making sure that it's a parachute and not a bookbag on your back. To me the most important preparation you can make is the mental attitude of your team and its ability to persevere. Knowing team weaknesses are as important as knowing your strengths. This may well prove to be much more valuable than the other preps you're making...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
jkepler
(@jkepler)

Great discussion, maybe the best I've read on this site - so thanks to all of you.

I think most people would like to have lone wolf skills (generalist, independent, self-reliant) but recognize that being part of a group is way better for obvious reasons. However, most people don't have the luxury of having like-minded and trusted people around. The most fortunate here have some family and 2-3 buddies to rely on during a crisis. This is also why I joined this community in the first place - because I don't want to be isolated and I would like to part of a MAG, and I was looking for others in my area (Bow Valley - Exshaw/Canmore/Banff, AB). I have some skills (certified amateur radio, cert. wilderness first responder, familiar with firearms, good at navigating and orienteering, decent hiker and fit - crossed the arctic circle leading a small group across 100km of tundra, comfortable with computers and technology, avid reader and learner with many hobbies) but I seriously lack in critical areas (no advanced medicine/second aid, zero farming/foraging/hunting experience, complete dummy at vehicle mechanics, and so on). So after a few days/weeks, I know I would be in trouble unless I band with a group (good luck with that - I feel that people around me would be waaaay less prepared).

It seems that we are a very small community of interest. We don't have enough of a critical mass of willing and skilled people to form real MAGs, so we are forced to be prepared to go into LW mode while hoping for a MAG to be (magically) built in a crisis scenario.

The best for people like me is to keep learning and fixing my own gaps, and hope to make myself useful to a group (if I find one when the time comes).

Thanks for all your comments.

ReplyQuote
(@term0shad)
Estimable Member

Well 3 more projects for mag group area . One will be in Ontario. Not to far from timmins. That's 160 acres in a few months paper work will be all done first. Then 1 in Alberta. My son and daughter will be running that one. Be with in a hr from Edmonton and Dayton valley and then one in newbrunswick around havelock area. Have a few sites to look at before we decide on spot. My gf daughter and her bf will be running that one. Of course all 3 spots I will have a trailer stocked and sitting on each property. But most my time will be in Ontario one. Time to finally get it going full time and not just helping other do it. Will be looking forward to meeting new people for locations we will have set up.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well 3 more projects for mag group area . One will be in Ontario. Not to far from timmins. That's 160 acres in a few months paper work will be all done first. Then 1 in Alberta. My son and daughter will be running that one. Be with in a hr from Edmonton and Dayton valley and then one in newbrunswick around havelock area. Have a few sites to look at before we decide on spot. My gf daughter and her bf will be running that one. Of course all 3 spots I will have a trailer stocked and sitting on each property. But most my time will be in Ontario one. Time to finally get it going full time and not just helping other do it. Will be looking forward to meeting new people for locations we will have set up.

Well that’s quit the accomplishment! Sincere congrats

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member

We plan to be part of a group. It will be neighbours who we will organize to help in a shtf situation. After many years of prepping we have enough of everything to help out and "buy" their work and support. The core will be family friends (some who prep and some who do not prep) who knows we prep and who knows to come in a shtf situation. We tried organising MAG groups and meeting people through the forum but it never works out so we decided to evaluate our surrounding neighbourhood and prep extra to take care of neighbours and involve them in our security along with non prepper friends.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Podcast on MAGs coming up
Next week!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Type? 5 round, 10 round? rimfire, center fire.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@term0shad)
Estimable Member

Lol smart ass.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I thought I was funny,... but its a tough crowd.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

😆

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Podcast tonight at 6 pacific/9 eastern.

“The Island retreat” on YouTube!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Podcast tonight at 6 pacific/9 eastern.

“The Island retreat” on YouTube!

won't be able to view live, but I'll catch up for sure tomorrow!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network