May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Recycling milk bag question...

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ont-rob)
Topic starter  

I had the idea of re using the 1.3 litre bags milk comes in, I figure that if they're washed and dried thoroughly dry goods could be stored in them using a vacuum sealer. Has anyone else tried this?

Tolero Apto Victum

(@vanislemom)
Reputable Member

I haven't tried milk bags, but I save the liners from Triscuits (love that "cracked pepper and olive oil") 🙂 , to store dehydrated veggies. (earthquake zone, not into glass jars)

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

My Mom used to save em all the time for freezing food. Tie wrap the end.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have been using them for years to store different things......especially freezing hamburg, veggies.....make great sandwich bags etc. I first started using them when I saw a documentary on someone sailing around the world, and had all foodstuffs packaged in milk bags(as they are a fairly heavy guage plastic.) Think I have saved hundreds of $$ on plastic wrap and freezer bags over the years!

ReplyQuote
(@fogirl)
Eminent Member

Milk isn't sold in bags in AB, but my Grandma bought it that way back when I was a kid in BC.

I re-use all sorts of food bags and seal them with my foodsaver--you just need to experiment to see if they'll seal properly. I find the stiffer bags seal best, not sure if milk bags wouldn't just melt through and break off? Also, you'd have to be really certain you got all the milk out of the crevices because when milk goes bad/sour...

ReplyQuote
(@ont-rob)
Topic starter  

Appreciate the replies.....I'm going to give it a go.
Thanks.

Tolero Apto Victum

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Ont.Rob,
let us know how they work in the sealer...I'm quite interested!

ReplyQuote
(@anitapreciouspearl)
Noble Member

I am too - the official bags are soooo expensive I would be happy for a replacement. I know that the official bags have grooves in them that allow the air to be sucked out - I wonder if that will make a difference??

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I was looking at the inside of a foil Chip bag (crisps for NEW Canadians!) and the inside of a large dog food bag. Both might be able to be re-used? Since I do not Drink Milk, ever -shudders at the thought of it even, these might be doable as well as the hideous milk bags.

ps. Highly allergic to milk

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network