May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Adapter Movement

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Interesting take. I found his comments on labeling of certain styles as accurate, but at heart, we are all an individual and can’t help but seeing or acting why we prep through what motivates us in life or moving forward, how we wish to live our future life.
It’s true that a spade to till a garden or a ladder to clean a chimney is essential or just call it real handy if one wishes to denigrate the desire to have one over ten guns, or a basement full of beans and liquor. Focus on bullets or religion is tops on some peoples list but so what. So long as the person with ten thousand rounds of ammo for each of their 10 different guns has a ladder or a spade, who cares? It’s their "thing”. Gay, straight, white, pink, black… who cares if they have a ladder standing by. If they are half intelligent, and they don’t have one, its not real hard to make one!!! People get far to bent out of shape on having this or that good to have item tucked under their bed. Same for the person listing a bible as an essential. So what. I would be just as happy to have a family with a bible and all the essentials next door and safe to chat with and work with as one without a bible. Now, even a nut job with a bible reciting verses all day to the sky is ok with me, so long as he doesn’t use the bible against me. Then they fall onto the “problem list” and are avoided.

Adaption is essential and obviously practiced by anyone who preps. When and I or my loved ones run out of matches, I or they will adapt and pick up the flint sticks we have in stock, once they run out, a magnifying glass or a piece of glass or start rubbing! So obviously anyone half intelligent will adapt! I for one try real hard to adapt to the situations I walk into, stumble upon or am pushed into.
I certainly understand the connotations he mentions about calling oneself a prepper or even mentioning any food, water, flashlights you have put aside for the impending storm. People usually go, oh oh, “one of them". So with time, will the adapter movement be any less of a crazy word to mention in polite society?
I work with businesses or departments who are accustomed to using the terms, Emergency Preparedness or Business Continuity Planning. Then there is the group DRIE (disaster recovery information exchange) again all safe and recognised approaches to what? Yes, preparing for various situations. It is the shows and other media hyped practises that give prepping a bad name.

Do we change to adapting movement or would a term that the Government and business use be a “safer” angle or words to use. “Emergency preparedness” or planning encompasses whatever you think it means and because Gov, Business and all thinking organisations do it, one is going to benefit from that cloak of respectability! Business continuity planning is the same as prepping, just with a business centric angle to it. One looks at the threat to their business and plans for alternative means of conducting business, today and into the future. It includes safe house for execs, comms, food, water, shelter, light, heat, fuel… heck, in the states, it even includes guns! In Canada, it means guards and guess what? Yes bug out locations away from the unruly and unwashed masses!
“Adapting” is good, but as he indicates, maybe it will get taken over or used against those toothless folks with beards, checkered shirts and woolly hair the media like to show on TV.

If looking to rebrand, I would go with known and respected names like “Emergency Preparation or Emergency Planning”
Speaking of adapting, prepping or emergency planning, Lots of snow coming our way so adapting or XYZ to reality here with Tractor and snow blower being all tanked up and ready to rip. Look forward to all the stories on the news tonight and into tomorrow of people trapped in cars on the highways, people with no way to get food….City budgets being blown… let the fun begin
Cheers

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member

well written C5

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Hi Clarence

Like in everything, I don't like getting caught up in a name.. words and their meanings change. I get that folks can like their titles and I get that they can have good and bad connected with everything.

I have popped on and off other sites but ALWAYS come back to this site.. Denob runs a great site.. he is steady, he works with mods that are steady.. I think it draws in the steady folks that get things done.. this is a good thing.

That is the one thing all those source's you talked about have in common.. they are the people that gather, learn and DO.

Having said that, I think the meat on the bones in regards to C5's posts is all about just a little shift this way and that way and looking at things different, I see it in many ways as a blend..

One foot in the here and now and one foot in the future.. with a bit in the past as well lol.. because we have a lot to learn from history.. just as we have a lot to learn about what is happening here and now and we have so many crazy things coming down the line, that might or might not work, that might or might not become available at a cost that will decide if its the higher ups only or if its the common people.

Most of us (not all, there are far more folks in Canada living on the edge then any of us want to admit) have far more then we need at this time to just get by, we live a life that many see as very rich.. well unless you are in fact part that 1 percent.. then we sure the heck don't.

I listen to a number of news stations and trust me when I say there is a large population that has their head firmly stuck in the sand and will not see truth even if its shoved right in their face.. so be it.. their choice, their life..

There are others on the other side.. come on lets face it, there are the sky is falling, run around like the hen.. I get it, I do.. I understand why they can have that panic when they finally listen, finally really grasp it, finally let themselves feel it..

But both of those have one big old issue.. you are so busy holding on or letting go that you are not doing!.. you are just spinning in place..

I think most folks here on the board honestly do understand that bottom line is in the doing.. not in the talking, not in the dreaming, not plotting or planning but in the hands on part..

We will all need to find our own path.. I respect that.

But I know this.. I have had friends introduce me as a prepper and then feel the need to explain to their friends that I was really ok, that I was not one of those.. sometimes this is fast and other times , this can go on for awhile..

If I say, I am adapting in place to the here and now.. everyone so far! has the same reaction.. Stop.. smile.. and go.. tell me more.. that makes sense.. I am doing this or that or belong to this group that is doing this..

Maybe as you say.. someday in X years, that word will get the first reaction.. but it does not at the moment.. at the moment, its a word that allows you to engage with people on what they see as a more level playing field..

Ps, I for one which they have never done that stupid TV show.. it really messed with A LOT of people's views on the word prepper...

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I suppose that everyone is entitled to their own ideas and direction...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I often ignore the notifications from his blog because I find he can often get long winded. I do agree with a LOT of what he has to say though, so since this series was starting to gain some attention, I decided to give it a read today...I see why he divided it up into four individual posts though. A long read to do all at once.
Like Farmgal, some thing I agree with one hundred percent. some things make me think a bit, and others well...Hmmmmmm.
If his intention was to make me think a while after reading it, well he nailed it.

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member

I'm sure people have been wanting to draw me out of my BAT Cave. Thanks for thinking about me.

Its now done. It's been years in the making... since Peppercorn wrote, "We need another name"... and I suggested "the BAT or Bureau of Apocalyptic Tourism. That would make us Batmen". No one can accuse me of being a short term thinker.

I would need my own blog to do it. FYI. Part II just got the featured post over at The Doomstead Diner today.

And if any of this sounds too radical, Survival Acres also came back online to say the similar words, "Survivalism is Dead". Sounds like what I have been saying... http://survivalacres.com/blog/real-survivalism/

Sooooo..... I did my part.... and I am thoroughly burnt out from writing this... needing new stimulation before I figure out what to work on next.

I am really looking forward to seeing where Farmgal... and others...... decide to go with this.

Me? I'm just ready to go back to being Brat of the prepper world.

Who do you Trust- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0uaYXtxTSw

I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Just when you think you're out...
Does prepping need a new name? Maybe, but would that help?
The same old thing will happen no matter what you call it.
You've got an interesting idea going, but to protect from what has happened to the "prepper" name you have to control your membership....give 'em a litmus test and keep absolute control of the movement by owning the only "official" website for it.
Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I agree totally agree Denob.. you can't control it once its out there.. be it prepper, be is permaculture or be Greenie or Hippie? or take any movement you want.. yellow vest and so forth..

Once you set it free.. it will have its own life!

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Who do you Trust- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0uaYXtxTSw

Only family and those brothers who have weathered the crucible.

The same old thing will happen no matter what you call it.

I agree; a rose by another name...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So how many have made it through all 4 parts? For me it has brought some clarity to thoughts on moving beyond "maintaining status quo" prepping. However, as we get older it does become harder to make the drastic changes needed to adapt.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Read through them all in one sitting. I see why he divided it up into 4 posts.
Thought provoking to say the very least.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

So how many have made it through all 4 parts? For me it has brought some clarity to thoughts on moving beyond "maintaining status quo" prepping. However, as we get older it does become harder to make the drastic changes needed to adapt.

I have enjoyed reading them as while I read the words, I got to read it with fresh eyes with the video's and little extra's thrown in so it was fresh in way for me as well.

I have to admit that I have had to give myself a good shake when so many things related to climate already came down the pipe in the past three years here on the farm.. drought to the point that I had to cull my herds and do early butchers do to hay shortage.. Storm damage.. wow.. storm damage.. drought, heat, flooding, early freezing, Extreme heat waves and more drought.. all my big tree's had to come down due to more storm damage.. went from being a three season garden to a two season garden.. having to change what is planted and when.. and so much more.

However hard it is to adapt.. it will be much! Much harder to not!

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have enjoyed reading them as while I read the words, I got to read it with fresh eyes with the video's and little extra's thrown in so it was fresh in way for me as well.

I have to admit that I have had to give myself a good shake when so many things related to climate already came down the pipe in the past three years here on the farm.. drought to the point that I had to cull my herds and do early butchers do to hay shortage.. Storm damage.. wow.. storm damage.. drought, heat, flooding, early freezing, Extreme heat waves and more drought.. all my big tree's had to come down due to more storm damage.. went from being a three season garden to a two season garden.. having to change what is planted and when.. and so much more.

However hard it is to adapt.. it will be much! Much harder to not!

Yes the last number of years have been crazy weather wise. A lot of "never had that happen before".

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network