May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Adapter Movement

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hi Clarence

Like in everything, I don't like getting caught up in a name.. words and their meanings change. I get that folks can like their titles and I get that they can have good and bad connected with everything.

I listen to a number of news stations and trust me when I say there is a large population that has their head firmly stuck in the sand and will not see truth even if its shoved right in their face.. so be it.. their choice, their life..

But I know this.. I have had friends introduce me as a prepper and then feel the need to explain to their friends that I was really ok, that I was not one of those.. sometimes this is fast and other times , this can go on for awhile..

If I say, I am adapting in place to the here and now.. everyone so far! has the same reaction.. Stop.. smile.. and go.. tell me more.. that makes sense.. I am doing this or that or belong to this group that is doing this..

Maybe as you say.. someday in X years, that word will get the first reaction.. but it does not at the moment.. at the moment, its a word that allows you to engage with people on what they see as a more level playing field..

Ps, I for one which they have never done that stupid TV show.. it really messed with A LOT of people's views on the word prepper...

I will try the adapting angle when I get the next chance. β€œGeez, isn’t that rain wild, guess I may need to adapt to any flooding...”.
Could be an interesting spring in eastern ontario and with leo0,e needing to adapt to hose being flooded. Good amount of snow on top of ice.. get some good rains in the spring and rivers will rise pretty quick.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I hear ya on that.. this is the first year, that I have cut channels into certain parts of the snow so that I can help direct water for this very reason, Can't say this is new to me.. I first saw people cut melt runs in Yellowknife, just like that was the first place I had ever seen people shovel of the snow where the gardens where to be, and then use swell's to water them as the snow melted out.

I had not seen or heard of it done locally, and then a old larger gardener Fred came on Ottawa garden group and said.. high risk of flooding ( I think most of us can see that) and that if possible, use snow blower and or shovel to cut out lines to reduce the risk for house, yard or garden..

I don't know why I didn't think of it myself as I was giving the yard the sideways eye.. but we have done just that..

I can only hope that others will be as proactive as they can be to help themselves.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Clarence

Like in everything, I don't like getting caught up in a name.. words and their meanings change. I get that folks can like their titles and I get that they can have good and bad connected with everything.

I listen to a number of news stations and trust me when I say there is a large population that has their head firmly stuck in the sand and will not see truth even if its shoved right in their face.. so be it.. their choice, their life..

But I know this.. I have had friends introduce me as a prepper and then feel the need to explain to their friends that I was really ok, that I was not one of those.. sometimes this is fast and other times , this can go on for awhile..

If I say, I am adapting in place to the here and now.. everyone so far! has the same reaction.. Stop.. smile.. and go.. tell me more.. that makes sense.. I am doing this or that or belong to this group that is doing this..

Maybe as you say.. someday in X years, that word will get the first reaction.. but it does not at the moment.. at the moment, its a word that allows you to engage with people on what they see as a more level playing field..

Ps, I for one which they have never done that stupid TV show.. it really messed with A LOT of people's views on the word prepper...

I will try the adapting angle when I get the next chance. β€œGeez, isn’t that rain wild, guess I may need to adapt to any flooding...”.
Could be an interesting spring in eastern ontario and with leo0,e needing to adapt to hose being flooded. Good amount of snow on top of ice.. get some good rains in the spring and rivers will rise pretty quick.

Clarence,

I think you might be confusing weather with climate.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hi Clarence

Could be an interesting spring in eastern ontario and with water levels rising, people needing to adapt to house being flooded. Good amount of snow on top of ice.. get some good rains in the spring and rivers will rise pretty quick.

Clarence,

I think you might be confusing weather with climate.

people concerned about "climate change" are affected by the weather. never was a stickler for details. if its flooding, a drought or 3 meters of snow. its all a bad day for a prepper or gardner or poor bugger shoveling it. 😑

on my note concerning last weeks snowstorm, seems so many people stayed home that highways were no big drama / people stuck in cars overnight. Hopefully they took the time off to go get some stuff for their house ! spring floods will likely be the next predictable issue and usual fires out west or up north. will hear the same crying about evacuations and drama over houses burning. guess no one in the gov is smart enough to order in more planes and fire crews or have army engineers ready. for some odd reason, they always seemed to be shocked by the predictable. πŸ˜† funny if not so sad

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network