May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Government shut down in US

22 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Am I the only person that was thinking that they should have been prepping? People loose their jobs every day, people loose a loved one that was the primary income earner, people get sick....I find that the sob stories I have been hearing on the news just makes me shake my head. :mrgreen:

lol

oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I realised that I should maybe explain myself.

People have been homeless for years, people have been going without warm clothes, quality food, medical care for years yet the media jumps all over the fact that a few (all in the numbers) people are without a pay cheque with the government shut down.

I am not sure but I think it is more the media coverage that I find annoying rather then the people panicking at the loss of money.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

It is just the media playing it. But then again, I was living in a middle class neighbourhood in southern USA with good friend couple being a school teacher and game wardens and their pantry and fridge were always empty since they ate out all the time or pick up something at the store every day. Just also living paycheque to paycheque so I’m not surprised if some are struggling with the shutdown.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

If only the media would ask the question, so your an educated person, decent job and salary and you have no food, savings etc Sir madam, don’t you think that’s a bit on you?

Of course if they ask the question, it leads to being responsible for ones life and god knows one can’t have that. Plus the news person is likely in the same boat.

Here in Ontario we may be paying 80% of tax money on healthcare by 2030, this from a gov sponsored audit a few years back. We are already massively in debt and that would leave two dollars of every ten tax dollars to pay for roads, schools, police, welfare, parks........

Maybe I am wrong, but something big is going to occur and I don’t think it will be pretty. If missing a paycheque or two is hard now, it will be something to watch when we hit the debt wall. Not sure how pensions will be paid! One thing for sure, I really wouldn’t want to be living in any large city.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Well yes, I think a bit of funds in savings would be a wise thing, but in today's society many figure out what they can afford to purchase by figuring out if they can make the payments. It's all about how much is left to spend at the end of the month.
HOWEVER...I've seen this in the prepper community also. Lots of preppers get caught up with getting all the cool tactical crap or the biggest baddest battle rifle that they often forget about economic prepping and putting some cash under the matress.
You will likely loose your income sometime before the zombies start salivating for your brains.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

You will likely loose your income sometime before the zombies start salivating for your brains.

Ha, the jokes on them. I don't have any. At least that's what my Father told me as I did stupid things when I was growing-up. As far as today's concerned, the jury is still out. LOL

Nice Rifle... 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It is just the media playing it. But then again, I was living in a middle class neighbourhood in southern USA with good friend couple being a school teacher and game wardens and their pantry and fridge were always empty since they ate out all the time or pick up something at the store every day. Just also living paycheque to paycheque so I’m not surprised if some are struggling with the shutdown.

While you were staying with them, did you have a chance to introduce the idea of saving money?

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

A bit of a taboo topic to bring up a dinner table.

Truth is things were quite different. Income tax was significantly less and so were salaries. The police department in our city was always recruiting with salary of $10.75/hr, EMTs at $9.00 etc. Not sure what teachers were making, but I’d say something like $30K/yr would probably be right order of magnitude. What became interesting were the benefits of health and dental care, insurances, 401K (RRSP) etc. So though goods and services were notably cheaper, even those 2 state employees who were technically middle class didn’t bring home that much money. Of course credit is also King down there.

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think that is the same every place. I can't tell you how many people I have pissed off over the years trying to explain simple things to them. 😀

One neighbour I had I gave a detailed sheet of paper showing just how much money he would save in a month if he and his wife stopped buying coffee at Tim Horton's every day. It worked out to more then a mortgage payment. Of course he didn't listen and we, the people of Ontario ended up paying for his spending habits as he has now claimed bankruptcy twice. 😡

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

If the money was at par, I'd save a ton living in the U.S. Everything seems to cist less. Vehicle costs, insurance,Gas, most food items, even Chinese food. No wonder there are so many snowbirds... 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Truth is things were quite different. Income tax was significantly less and so were salaries. The police department in our city was always recruiting with salary of $10.75/hr, EMTs at $9.00 etc.

WOW, I never would have thought a American was worth that much per hr. Just for funzzies I did a job search for the Edmonton area, inputting Less than grade 12 for education, thus a job a American could likely qualify for up here, and up pops (along with others)

Maintenance Repair Worker
City Of Edmonton

268 reviews
-
Edmonton, AB

Apply On Company Site

$32.73 an hour
Maintenance Repair Worker
Job Number
: 34641
You will be required to:
Perform LRT Station and Transit Garage inspections to identify and diagnose issues with commercial building systems and equipment
Perform minor repairs and maintenance to doors, windows, signs, lights, floors, walls, ceilings, mechanical/electrical equipment, furniture, route maps, information boards and supplementary equipment
Participate in regular Health & Safety meetings, and help promote the City’s safety culture
Provide input to help determine methods, materials, tools and equipment required to repair and maintain Transit facilities
Order materials and supplies as required
Operate City vehicles to transport materials and equipment to and from various job sites
Install accessories and furniture such as benches, signs and washroom accessories as required
Monitor and provide flagging for internal/external contractors and employees
Perform administrative tasks including filling out work order history, updating records, and maintaining an inventory of stock items
Carry out additional duties including, but not limited to, assisting with snow removal, cleaning mechanical and service areas, moving furniture and other materials, and cleaning debris from work sites.

Completion of Grade 10 required, Grade 12 would be preferred

That works out to be almost 70,000 a year to start, and being the city and Union, you can bet it has all the benifits such as blue cross and matching rrsp contributions, maybe being Union Double pay for overtime, and up here you wont go broke over a hospital visit.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

If the money was at par, I'd save a ton living in the U.S. Everything seems to cist less. Vehicle costs, insurance,Gas, most food items, even Chinese food. No wonder there are so many snowbirds... 🙂

You would save a ton now. Retired, pension coming in, from the benifits derived from largely earning in Canada,From the government, and sheltering under this nations protections(health care). You would live great down there. Where your greatest concern is margareta costs.

Had you tried to stay in the usa and run your career there, I dont believe for a moment your situation in life would be as secure as it now is. I would bet that you would be trying to getting on Day busses with other Americans coming up to canada to score your medically needed drugs for prices that leave you enough spare funds to maybe let you sometimes treat yourself to a margareta...maybe.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

The worst part of the media coverage is that ALL of these federal employees will receive back pay for all the shutdown after more funding is secured. So in reality their pay is just being deferred, for having to do no work. Indeed, If they can’t do without a paycheck for a couple weeks, that is an epic fail on their part.

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

So in reality their pay is justness being deferred, for having to do no work. Indeed, If they can’t do without a paycheck for a couple weeks, that is an epic fail on their part.

Not excusing the lack of savings, but I want to point out that there are still essential services being maintained by currently unpaid public service employees: airport security and air traffic services comes to mind but also federal employees at all their military facilities, embassies, etc. Interestingly, their soldiers are still getting paid... i think government learned long again that large contingent of unpaid armed personnel doesn’t work well!

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

I am aware, I’m dealing with them daily at work. It’s ludicrously easy to tell which ones have some savings, and which ones just got a ‘past due’ notice.

It’s not like this is the first shutdown they’ve seen either. But granted, it is the longest.

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network