May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Vehicles

51 Posts
19 Users
0 Reactions
11.4 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just stumbled across this wile looking fore something else but I realised it gave some real life context to what I mentioned above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBp3IxkUsF4

That is a sad story that many will likely follow soon enough. He seems fairly optimistic still but there are not to many rungs left on the ladder that he decided to climb until he is a the bottom. It i ironic that even when the possessions he has is all he carries on his back, one of them is still a laptop.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

And I came across this pic and just had to post it too in memory of my past Jeeps!

ReplyQuote
Allegro
(@allegro)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This may be the ultimate Land Rover....

ReplyQuote
(@cavemanjoe)

I have at the moment a 4wh.dr. Hyundai Galloper SUV but hope to buy a licht Utility truck, 4 wh.dr. and double cabin soon, like a Mitsubischi Canter, Good luck, Caveman Joe

ReplyQuote
(@sapper)

Does anyone have any experience running cooking oil for fuel in diesel motors? Given the large numbers of restaurants in any larger city used veggie oil should be quite easy to get and stockpile prior to an emergency. It seems to be working for the guy in this link.

http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/alternative-diesel-fuel.html

ReplyQuote
(@poppaprepper)

Hello

I have a 1983 Toyota SR-5 4X4 pick-up (carbureted) and two 1989 Japanese Toyota diesel Landcruiser's with mechanical fuel injection and 4 wheel posi-traction capability. They should run as long as I can get fuel for them LOL.

Whitecourt, Alberta Area

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member

Hello

I have a 1983 Toyota SR-5 4X4 pick-up (carbureted) and two 1989 Japanese Toyota diesel Landcruiser's with mechanical fuel injection and 4 wheel posi-traction capability. They should run as long as I can get fuel for them LOL.

What I wouldn't give for a Toyota 4x4 from the 80s. May they rust in piece. Hey! Any Toyota feed catcher....Rebuild this vehicle, damit...It was a best of the best vehicle like the Bug or the Willies. Just shit metal.

I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

If anyone would like a project, my friend has an 88 Landcruiser for sale. Gas not diesel. Pm me if you want details. Near Ktchener On.

ReplyQuote
(@screedcrete)
Estimable Member

Sorry but i only read through the last 2 pages from July but I would strongly reccomend the truck camper situation. With a 4x4 truck import or domestic, you can make your way to a location, your location or another. You can get sidetracked or you get put off course for 1 reason or another, and you still have you house on your back. BUT this is where it gets good. You aint going to find a CHEAP motorhome with 4x4. No way no how. Second you do NOT have the ability to leave your shell behind for whatever reason. third you could actually bury that bugger deep in the bush and still have wheels. Fourth you could use that camper as bait and ambush your adversaries when they come to steal and loot it and you get them AND you still have wheels. 5; you could trade it and STILL have transportation. There are still a few more which I hesitate to mention for my own personal security but you get the idea. Its flexable, versitle and will get you WAY more places than a class C will ever get you.

Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! 😉

ReplyQuote
 ndn
(@ndn)
Trusted Member

dont know if any brought this up but a wood gasifier,runs on wood ,ive seen old plans that thay usd in ww1 and ww2 on how to convert your tractor to run on this ,there be lost of wood ,not much gas after on post apocalyptic world

Thank you

NDN

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Just to bring you up to speed, if you bought jerrycans full of gasoline, use it all up within a six month period or you will find that
the gasoline is no longer suitable for internal combustion engines.
Oil refineries, and the companies that operate them, don't want you to know about this, but they mix additives into certain volatile
refined hydrocarbons (like heptane, octane, etc) to improve performance (good), to eliminate knock (good). But the additives and the
gasoline formula mix BREAK DOWN slowly, so that by six months of storage, it is no longer good.

UM...go to any gas supplier website and you'll see them proudly announce that they use additives.
Also, the shelf life of gasoline is well know both within and outside the preparedness community, and has been for decades.
No coverup or conspiracy here.

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

If you're planning to store gas for six months, it's wise to add an additive which extends the life of the gasoline: Stabil.

ReplyQuote
(@morningcoffee)
Reputable Member

I would add a word of caution to anyone still contemplating a truck camper, particularly to add on to an import truck. Campers, especially the ones built in the last 10-15 years are heavy and don't fit into imports and most can't be carried safely by anything less than a 1 ton dually. The imports just aren't built to take the weight. Old (1970's) campers were wider than the current tailgate openings on most trucks including domestic ones and it makes actually fitting it in the truck bed a real challenge.

"It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret"

ReplyQuote
(@alpha1)
Eminent Member

hello , just to know did anyone build a mini bug out camper dimensions 4x8 about , that can be pulled by an atv quad side by side I am working on building one from scratch I would say the with of my king quad 750 , for tow peoples , as for material i am using 2x4 metal studs as base structure and 1x1 studs for for the wall and roof frame, i am also building an independent suspension system . generator solar panel batteries water fuel food and lots more lets just say enough for two people for about 1 month of bug out time and more depending on what we can gather along the way
so if you have built one please send me pictures they will be really appreciated thank you Mike belleville@hotmail.ca

ReplyQuote
(@lewis)

Hey all, wanted to chime in on a few things discussed here. First of all, life span of gasoline. As previously mentioned additives are a good idea to stretch life span, specifically I wanted to mention Seafoam. I've done a little in dependant research with this and a couple other products and the Seafoam is worth it's weight in gold. I treated a couple jerry cans, and let them sit for well over a year. Ran the fuel in the 4 wheeler, boat, lawn mower and chainsaw and all ran fine. No issues. All my seasonal equipment gets treated when put into storage and runs great when it's time. Also provides other benifits to a motor as well..

My SHTF vehicle is my old truck. Kept it when I bought the new one. 2005 chev 2500 diesel. 4x4 4 door cab 8 foot box with a hugh topper. 150 gallon slip tank in the box plumbed into the trucks fuel system. Green Lea chest with tools, fluids, repair essentials, the rest the space is reserved for food/water/clothing/etc.

I had thoughts of rigging my travel trailer to come along, and thoughts of an older camper that I could modif into a more useful rig, but instead I scooped up a 20 foot enclosed trailer. Currently in the building process. The front 12 feet is going to be a small bunkhouse/kitchen. The back 8 feet is my generator, 100 gallon gasoline tank, and storage for more food/water/shelter essentials. Still in the early stages, but plan on solar as well eventually.

I know it's a big rig, but ya can't put a family of 4 in a sardine can.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network