May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

canadian gun laws...storage of restricted firearms

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I contacted a few people who should be knowledgeable in regards to the storage of restricted firearms in Canada. I am getting a new handgun and wanted to make sure I understood the often misunderstood Canadian gun laws. I was very disappointed with the answers I was given. It just shows how screwed up these laws really are when three different people give you ttthree different answers to the same question.

http://youtu.be/DiAbaAw8_Vg

(@supermag)
Eminent Member

You can check with RCMP website
restricted firearms must be stored with a trigger or cable lock, in a locked not easily opened container, or a real safe with out trigger locks remember safe must be the real deal not a tin box. ammo can be stored with firearm in locked container.

any other questions
supermag

ReplyQuote
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey supermag I already know and understand what you have said in your post. The main question I had for the RCMP was can I store a hand gun that is unloaded in a safe with no locking device on it? The second question was can I also store ammunition for that handgun in the safe and not have the ammo in it's own locked box? I am not asking anyone to tell me what is or is not legal when it comes to gun laws. I just want to let people know that the Chief firearms office gave me one answer, the RCMP firearms program representative gave me another answer and the RCMP officer at the local station gave me a third different answer. If these people don't know and understand the gun laws than how are we suppose to know it! There are all kinds of videos and forum post saying it is ok to store a handgun in a locked safe with loaded mags laying right beside the firearm. I have read articles written by so called Canadian criminal lawyers that say it if fine to do as long as it is a good safe.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

MoraGuy,

I agree with your concerns that even the authorities are mostly uneducated when it comes to firearm rules. At the same time, I would take a second to question your actions. I'm not typically a paranoiac, but I would sure think twice about going to ask a Mountie if I can "lock a pistol and loaded mags in a safe with no locking device". An outsider could see this as the quick lock box in your night stand ready to essentially be loaded and shoot. Now, IMHO, I should be able to do that if I want, but the government wants to keep me safe (rolling eyes back) and are putting laws against this. Where I'm going with this, is be careful so that you don't end up getting a " " random " " visit from the RCMP or local LEOs do a " " random " " firearm storage inspection.

ReplyQuote
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Helico!

When I was talking to these individuals I made it very clear I wanted to be 100% sure that when I got the handgun that it was stored safely, securely and above all legally. I even went as far as to tell them I was going to mount the safe to the wall with leg bolts so it was good and secure and could not be moved without a lot of work. I made sure to clarify that I was getting a safe and not a cabinet. However, if they decide they need to come have a look they won't get in my house without a warrant in hand and even if they have warrant that is fine because I always go one step further than needed when it comes to safety. All my non restricted firearms are locked in a steel cabinet with two locks on the door. All ammunition is in a military ammunition can with a padlock on it and the can is not readily accessible to the firearms. The reason why I wanted the clarification on the storage of restricted firearms was so I could be just as safe. The law say nothing about the safe or vault having to be bolted to the wall or floor, however, my plan is to securely bolt it to the wall which in my eyes is taking it one step further that I have to. Lastly I never did say to any of these people that I want to store my handgun inn my bedside table with loaded mags ready to go. I said ITT would be nice if I could store the ammo for the firearm in the same safe so every thing is together and secure in a safe and not a cabinet. The officer was very nice and agreed that a safe is a much better way to secure firearms. Thank you for your concern and comments.

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

My understanding is, a handgun in a safe (a real safe) can be stored without trigger lock. There's an ambiguous "OR" in the storage regs that makes this legal, or atleast defendable. And yes you can keep a loaded mag next to it.

It's what I'm doing. Though it's really still up to the inspecting officer whether you're being safe. All this stuff is intentionally undefined.

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

When we transport handguns we have a printed copy of the regs with us, saves on roadside questions. Suggest you do the same for storage.
They can't just show up at your door to see your storage arrangements. They have to set up an appointment with you at a time of your choice.

ReplyQuote
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

And yes you can keep a loaded mag next to it.

It's what I'm doing.

Hey Captain Ambiguous! I plan on keep my 40 S&W ammo in the safe with my M&P 40 and see nothing wrong with it and yes when I say a safe I mean a $400.00 fireproof, electronic locking heavy duty safe not a cabinet. If you don't mind me asking could you explain why you feel it is legal to do this? When I read the laws on storage of restricted firearms I feel it is fairly clear that you don't need a locking device if stored in a safe. However, it is not very clear as to whether or not you can store the ammo in the safe with the firearm. I know you can store the ammo with the gun if the ammo is locked in a secure container and then that locked container is put in the safe with the gun. However, can you store a cardboard bow of ammo in the safe with your unloaded handgun? Many people say yes you can and many say no you can't and the people we look towards for answers do not know!

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

And yes you can keep a loaded mag next to it.

It's what I'm doing.

Hey Captain Ambiguous! I plan on keep my 40 S&W ammo in the safe with my M&P 40 and see nothing wrong with it and yes when I say a safe I mean a $400.00 fireproof, electronic locking heavy duty safe not a cabinet. If you don't mind me asking could you explain why you feel it is legal to do this? When I read the laws on storage of restricted firearms I feel it is fairly clear that you don't need a locking device if stored in a safe. However, it is not very clear as to whether or not you can store the ammo in the safe with the firearm. I know you can store the ammo with the gun if the ammo is locked in a secure container and then that locked container is put in the safe with the gun. However, can you store a cardboard bow of ammo in the safe with your unloaded handgun? Many people say yes you can and many say no you can't and the people we look towards for answers do not know!

At the end of the day, they don't know because the people who wrote the law didn't know 😉 But I'll try and dig up the info I went with.

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm

Here you go:

Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.

It seems to be the case that a gun and ammo have to be separate UNLESS they're both in a locked container. Or a safe in this case.

If the inspector ever comes by, I'll still have my ammo as far away as possible. But it's legal.

ReplyQuote
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It seems as though you and I have the same understanding of the law in regards to storage of restricted firearms. When I read that statement on the RCMP website I took it as a yes it is ok to store them together with no locking device and the ammo not locked up a second time. Thank you for your insight on this topic, it is nice to hear what other feel is right. The sad part of this whole situation is that the people who should understand the law don't. How are we as law abiding Canadian gun owners suppose to be sure that we have our firearms stored correctly according to Canadian law, when the people who uphold these laws have no idea? Anyway... lol... I am mot that concerned at this time about it. I to will make sure my ammo is locked up in a nuke proof locked container and stored three province away, that should be considered not readily accessible... lol. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@supermag)
Eminent Member

Mosy people are right in their interpertationof the law (yes in their interertation) I have 1000's of safe storage brochere's and give them out to everyone I know who has firearms or takes firearms courses from me, I advise everyone to keep one with their storage case or area and one in their vehical during transportation as many officers don't know!. I handed in a couple dozen to our local OPP & Conservation officers and the relply I recieved was thats not what we were told thanks for clearing it up.

supermag

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

This topic is always one that holds "The Official Regs" while usually avoiding the subject of how the authorities see it. I state this because the High River incident shows Canadians that they have and still use data from the gun registry(as residents showed proof of multiple re-entry to finally locate their weapons) and are likely still adding to their now "private" databank daily. I state this because just possessing a restricted firearm moves your ass way up this list of whos place to crash first on D-day.

I found this article on inspections and warrants that might be worth a read http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/inspections_and_warrants.html

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I found this article on inspections and warrants that might be worth a read http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/inspections_and_warrants.html

Excellent article, though I'm concerned it is over 11 years old (statement that registration will not be required until 2003...) A lot of rules and laws have changed in that time, though section 7 and 8 of the criminal code have not.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network