May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

unsure what guns to buy

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Reactions
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Good morning everyone, hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Here in eastern Canada we are getting ready for a violent winter storm... hmmm... will spring ever get here?

The reason for this post is to hopefully help me make up my mind as to what rifle handgun combo to go with. Just a bit of back ground on myself, I spent five years in the Infantry and grew up hunting with my father and friends. Therefore, I understand ballistics and kinetic energy and the safe and correct way to use a firearm in both rolls, hunting and in a SD roll.

My plan is to stay away from the tactical looking weapons as to not draw attention to myself when out and about. My picks are...

Taurus 22lr/22mag
Marlin 44mag lever gun

Ruger 357 mag
Marlin 357mag lever gun

Browning buck mark 22lr
Marlin 44mag lever gun

S&W M&P 9 or M&P 40
Marlin 357 or 44mag lever gun

I know I am pretty set on the marlin lever gun as it will hold 10 to12 rounds of ammo and is effective out to 150 meters with iron sights. I like the idea of having a high capacity 9mm but like the idea of having a revolver that is more durable then a semi auto. It would be nice to use the 357 mag lever gun as ammo is smaller and lighter then most others. It would also be nice to have a 22lr/mag for small game hunting in a survival/shtf scenario. Any input you guys have please let me hear it. Oh, one last thing I am not a person who has the high capacity bug. When it comes time to defend yourself you are not going to need ten 30 round AR mags and 10 9mm mag and five knives and three ninja stars and two canisters of CS gas and one pocket nuke... lol.

(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

Not sure there's an ultimate pair for every situation. Having a rifle and a revolver that both take 357 is very good.

But if you break that pair, then I don't see the advantage of a pistol calibre lever gun in 357 or 44. There are more powerful rifle calibres that are easier to scrounge for.

I'm so so on the idea of hunting post-shtf, but I still like the idea of a 22 rifle. If you're proficient with pistols then one of those 22 pistols might be a good sidearm. Though I've heard sketchy things about Taurus, maybe go with the Browning.

You could also consider a 9mm combo. Say a Glock 17 and a JR Carbine if you like ammo interchange. If the ammo factories all burned down and rebuilt again, 9mm is one of the first calibres they'd produce.

Guess I'm all over the place. To summarize, if I only had 2 guns to do everything I might go with a 22 lr semi-auto pistol and a 223 rifle, maybe a Ruger Mini 14 since I agree with you about tacticool being overrated.

And you should ask yourself if these are for walking doen the highway (bugging out) or blasting the guy coming through your front door. Good luck and happy shopping 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply! These firearms would be used for survival situations and of course practice at the range. I live in a small town which is surrounded by miles and miles of forest. My plan in a survival/shtf situation is to stay at home until it becomes tome to bug out. The weapons will be used for hunting and self defence. One last combo I have been tossing around is a marlin 1894 357 mag lever gun with a Ruger GP 100 357 mag and a small browning buck mark semi auto that can be. Stored in my bug out bag, for hunting /last resort defensive weapon. I should also say that I currently have a marlin 1895 45/70 and love how fast you can cycle these action. I would use the 45/70but would need a truck to carry enough ammo... lol.

ReplyQuote
(@endangeredspecies)
Estimable Member

my favorite prepper guns is simply the springfield m6 scout 22lr/410 bore combo
personaly i dont expect use weapon for protection i rather avoid people
the only problem whit the m6 scout i look lasst years to buy a second one for my wife and it was very very expansive now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory_M6_Scout

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

my favorite prepper guns is simply the springfield m6 scout 22lr/410 bore combo
personaly i dont expect use weapon for protection i rather avoid people
the only problem whit the m6 scout i look lasst years to buy a second one for my wife and it was very very expansive now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory_M6_Scout

Chiappa appears to be making a new M6, as well as a similar design called the X-Caliber. Basically a single-shot 12 gauge with a set of calibre adapters.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2677

Should be hitting stores soon. I'm eyeing one of their "Little Badger" 22s as a lightweight, concealable hunting rifle.

ReplyQuote
(@endangeredspecies)
Estimable Member

wow thank you captain_ambigous thats very sweet weapon i need to aquire one
i didnt know about this new model thats very interesting
"thanks to the 8 steel adapters supplied. In addition to the two original gauges, adapters allow you to shoot 8 pistol calibers ( .380 , 9 mm , .357Mag/.38SP , .40 S & W, .44 Mag, .45 ACP , .410/.45colt ) and two shotgun calibers (410 ga, 20ga), combining the flexibility of a shotgun and the power of a rifled gun "
it look much more versatile than the original m6 scout gona send now my chrismast gift list to santa clauss 😀

there 2 thing i liked more on the original m6 scout ( The stock is a combination of steel and foam ) wtf foam is too fragil im gona need craft a wooden one
and i must admit thats a personal choice but i do love so much the original "squeeze-bar trigger." on m6 scout wich i can shoot even whit mittens

but this new x-caliber fit 13 diferent caliber ... nice !

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

Yeah the foam seems to be a point of contention for others too. The Little Badger has a wire stock, I think they beefed it up just as little as possible for the X-Caliber. I might buy one after the hype is done 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

If I may chime in here...

If that combo are your only guns, I would suggest going with readily available common ammo (9mm, .22, .308, 410 and 12 gauge and even .223 or 7.62x39). You'll be more likely to find some at the local ammo place or find someone (a farmer, cop, gun enthusiast) from whom you could buy or trade for. Having 2 guns shooting the same ammo is good if you have a few guns, but if you only have a pair in say .357, you may be out of luck if your stash runs out.

ReplyQuote
(@maple-leaf-pilgrim)
Estimable Member

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/nanaimo-rcmp-discover-soviet-assault-weapons-1.901229

Nanaimo RCMP discover Soviet assault weapons
Routine investigation of shed uncovers pair of SKS Tula semi-automatic rifles

photo caption: Soviet-era SKS Tula semi-automatic assault rifles, found by officers in the 200-block of Pine Street, are capable of rapidly firing up to 10 bullets without reloading.

A cache containing two assault weapons, drugs and $18,000 in reportedly stolen goods was uncovered by police in a shed during a routine investigation.

Nanaimo RCMP officers made the discovery in the 200-block of Pine Street earlier this week.

Two Soviet-era SKS Tula semi-automatic assault rifles, a scooter valued at $3,000, and an estimated $15,000 worth of bicycles were hidden in the shed, along with a quantity of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana.

Police would not say what led to the find.

But the discovery of two Russian assault weapons is of particular concern, given the potential danger they pose to public safety.

The weapons are capable of rapidly firing up to 10 bullets without reloading.

"If they fall into the wrong hands, now they've got a semi-automatic weapon," said Sgt. Sheryl Armstrong of the Nanaimo RCMP.

"Or if some young child finds them and thinks they're a toy, and there's ammunition, look out."

Guns capable of firing one bullet after another are often used in mass shootings.

"Any time you have something capable of firing more than one bullet [in rapid succession], it's concerning," Armstrong said. "You think about the massacres we've had with AK-47s.

"If you can fire off [multiple] shots just like that, it has the capability of harming more individuals than a single shot." Christopher Durkin, 43, appeared in provincial court Thursday facing weapons, property crime and drug charges. His next court date is set for April 1.

Do not fall into the thought pattern that the powers that be will react any differently based upon your preconceptions.

-S.

"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/nanaimo-rcmp-discover-soviet-assault-weapons-1.901229

Nanaimo RCMP discover Soviet assault weapons
Routine investigation of shed uncovers pair of SKS Tula semi-automatic rifles

photo caption: Soviet-era SKS Tula semi-automatic assault rifles, found by officers in the 200-block of Pine Street, are capable of rapidly firing up to 10 bullets without reloading.

A cache containing two assault weapons, drugs and $18,000 in reportedly stolen goods was uncovered by police in a shed during a routine investigation.

Nanaimo RCMP officers made the discovery in the 200-block of Pine Street earlier this week.

Two Soviet-era SKS Tula semi-automatic assault rifles, a scooter valued at $3,000, and an estimated $15,000 worth of bicycles were hidden in the shed, along with a quantity of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana.

Police would not say what led to the find.

But the discovery of two Russian assault weapons is of particular concern, given the potential danger they pose to public safety.

The weapons are capable of rapidly firing up to 10 bullets without reloading.

"If they fall into the wrong hands, now they've got a semi-automatic weapon," said Sgt. Sheryl Armstrong of the Nanaimo RCMP.

"Or if some young child finds them and thinks they're a toy, and there's ammunition, look out."

Guns capable of firing one bullet after another are often used in mass shootings.

"Any time you have something capable of firing more than one bullet [in rapid succession], it's concerning," Armstrong said. "You think about the massacres we've had with AK-47s.

"If you can fire off [multiple] shots just like that, it has the capability of harming more individuals than a single shot." Christopher Durkin, 43, appeared in provincial court Thursday facing weapons, property crime and drug charges. His next court date is set for April 1.

Do not fall into the thought pattern that the powers that be will react any differently based upon your preconceptions.

-S.

Heard about it. The powers that be need to be smacked in the head with an assault hand.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

One note about the chamber inserts or the .45LC/.22 conversions: They don't get the range of the orginal caliber. It's not that they lose that much power, it's that they lose the rifling length and accuracy over distance. For the .45LC/.22 that distance is really short and it's dependent on how you load the inserts into the chamber. For some of the 6-8" inserts, it basically brings the firearm into the range of a high-power long-bbl handgun.

.357 and .38/.38+P both stayed reasonably accessible here even during the gun grabs and they're nice calibers. I'd have to run through the list and check, but if availability might become an issue, you should be aware that not all .357 rifles will cycle a .38. You can always single load, I suppose.

You mentioned some reliability, and although I'm of mixed feelings there, they do make some nice revolvers in common NATO semi-auto calibers.
Taurus 905B2 and Charter Arms Pitbull spring to mind for 9mm.
The Taurus Governor fires both .45's and .410.
The Colt Army 1917 was a .45 ACP revolver as well, and might qualify for your equivalent of a C&R (fewer restrictions here for firearms of a certain age) but it'll cost you most of your teeth and both legs.
S&W made a 22-4 and a 325 that were .45 ACP as well, the latter also muy muy $$$$$ and the former only $$$.
Ruger's Blackhawk .45LC can be had with a .45 ACP conversion for an extra $50-200 here.

Although it would be nice to have only 2 guns and it's something a lot of us struggle with, I do believe there's a reason we started diversifying our firearms from almost their conception. Still, a shotgun can do many things, especially if it's ported and has a good recoil pad, although ammo isn't nearly as compact as others.

You might also consider an air gun. A 500-800 fps in .22 can take rabbit and partridge in 20-30 yards and can put a hurt on a fox or coyote that's trying to get chickens (although I don't endorse it for that purpose shy of an emergency). A .177 at 1000-1200 fps can handle small rabbits and game birds with good head shots and smaller game and pests. They're pretty quiet as-is and there are ways to make/buy them quieter.

Ammo fits in a dip can size, I'm in love with my NP Trail pistol (loooong pistol, but accurate with a $40 scope added on, and the nitro pistol doesn't have to be discharged every third step the way springs do) and it would be my pick, but there are any number of rifles that are very good, too.

Stoeger's website has a nice set of air gun comparisons. It's built for their line, but would apply to others as well.
http://usa.stoegerairguns.com/airgun-hunting
🙂

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

As inserts go these are about the best you'll find. 7" of rifled barrel is better than most inserts and though the actual length is like long handguns you'll have much better control with the stock.
I usually don't buy in to these all-in-ones but this one has my interest.
I have the old Savage 22/410 but it's very much a small game only gun (with a crap scope mount solution) and too heavy to be my first choice.

ReplyQuote
(@endangeredspecies)
Estimable Member

if you have no limit budget i would recomend the Vanquish riffle from nemesis armory
look out http://nemesisarms.com/index.html

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member

I'm suspicious of any all in one tool. Like the multi tool fad. For the price of a really cool james bond tool, you get 10 tools that are not very useful for any real job...or... you could buy a quality multi head screw driver (Yes I get the irony) a quality set of vice grips and a reasonable fixed blade...for the same price or less. Each of those tools would do a kick assed job. The multi tool...not so much. A fire arm is, basically, nothing more than a tool. There is a a lot of different guns like there is a lot of different tools. Each has a purpose.

If like me, you are keeping it simple. I say three guns. One fore small game, one for medium game, one for large game. If you get a windfall...get one more of each of those as a replacement or lender. If every thing else is taken care of (garden, firewood, food storage, debtlessness, gas storage, bike, well, land, etc.) feel free to fill up the rest of the tool chest.

I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

ReplyQuote
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Holy crap! Thanks for all the replies, honestly thank you! I need to get another coffee and re-read all the posts to make sure I did not miss anything. First off I am sorry if I don't reply to everyone's post as there are a few... lol. After some long hard thinking over the last few months and reading the info you guys posted I have made my decision. I am going to go with a marlin 336lever gun chambered in 30-30 and install skinner sights on it. The other reason for getting a 30-30 is duee to the fact that my father has a Winchester model 94 30-30 and he will be leaving his firearms with me when he is no longer able to use them. When that time comes that will allow my wife to carry a 30-30as well and we only have to stock the one calibre of rifle ammo. For a handgun I have changed to a simth&wesson M&P 9. The reasons are as follows. I like the capacity of the 357 lever gun but it lacks the ability to reach out to 150 - 200 meters like I can with a 30-30. The 30-30 may only have a capacity of six rounds but those are six hard hitting rounds. Due to the lower capacity I opted to not get the revolver and to get a high capacity semi auto like the S&W M&P9. So if thing get up close and personal I will have plenty rounds to ruin someone's day. As for the air rifle idea, it is a great idea and one in which I have already thought of. My son will soon be old enough to learn to shoot and my plan is to start with a good high power .177mpellet gun. If the shtf that would be his to carry or strap it on my pack. My last purchase will be a browning buck mark 22lr to put in the pack for hunting small game. Again guys thanks so very much for all the info.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network