May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Norinco 12 Gauge Coach Gun

20 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I've been looking at compact tactical shotguns(with a 18.5 inch barrel) to go with a bug out bag, or rather in a real sense, a compact firearm to backpack with in bear country.

Recently though, I've seen this double barreled coach gun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx94W1sLxEQ

Barrel is 12 inches long. Perfect for backpacking and having fun shooting. Simple as all hell. I don't know, I'm pumped. What do you guys think? Good backup prepper gun?

Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member

Well a coach gun isn't exactly "tactical"... But they are nice enough. Just depends what kind of action you are interested in. I believe the norcs are break action. For a nice little short length tactical shotty, check out Canada ammo dot com

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Oh yeah, nah that's what i mean. I mean I was originally looking for something that would be compact to carry, rugged, and simple. I figured tactical shotgun would be the best, with a removable stock.

But the coach gun with a 12 inch barrel looks awesome for lightweight travel with a bug out bag. I'm looking to wilderness camp by canoe/kayak, bicycle, or by foot. That is the purpose of why I'm getting this.

Maybe I'll get a tactical one day, but I figure for now, the mossberg 500 for deer and turkey, and the coach gun is a pretty good starter setup. Next on the list would be the Mossberg plinkster 22 LR.

Thanks for replying.

ReplyQuote
(@dascribbler)
Estimable Member

If you like Chinese shotguns. Look at the Dominion Arms Backpacker like the coach its a break open single shot 12 gauge. Half the price. $149.00 last I looked.

You might also like the Dominion Arms Grizzly, its got a 12 inch barrel and is availble in both Pump action and Mag Fed.

All are small and compact and with the grizzlly being a 870 clone, stocks and various toys for it are readily available.

But the coach is certainly cool.

DaScribbler

ReplyQuote
(@koddie)
Eminent Member

I have never used the Norinco double barrel shotgun, however I would be inclined to not use this shotgun for wilderness carry. There seems to be limited info on-line about this shotgun. The owners manual states it has a trigger block safety, which to me means the triggers cannot be pulled when the safety is on. I have a Boito shotgun and that is how it works. The Norinco has exposed hammers and I haven't been able to find anything stating it is drop safe, meaning if you drop the shotgun on a hammer the gun won't fire.

For wilderness carry I would be concerned that carrying the shotgun loaded could potentially lead to an accidental discharge if the hammers get struck while loading or unloading a canoe, falling on rocky ground, falling off a bike etc. I used to carry a shotgun strapped to the side of my pack so it was exposed to being struck. Carrying the double barrel unloaded may mean it is not ready when you need it.

I would be more inclined to look for a short barrelled pump shotgun like an 870 or 870 clone. I think you can maximize safety and rapid use with a short pump shotgun because you can load the tube but leave the chamber empty. When it is needed rack the pump and its ready to fire. There are a variety of ammunition holders that attached to the butt or the receiver so extra ammo can be immediately available.

ReplyQuote
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I don't particularly want Chinese. I mean, hell, that's globalization for you. I've been an advocate of going nationalist with our industry here in north america for years now.

Okay yeah here's the thing. Like someone said on another thread, some of these sawn off style guns are heat scores, ones I don't need. I honestly don't think I need a pump first off, I'm already getting a Remington 870 to go turkey shooting.

I'm not too sure if I'd carry the shotgun loaded dude. I could understand having a pouch of slugs on my backpack strap(molle compatible) but I don't think I'm up for carrying a loaded shotgun in my backpack, or even if I rigged my own holster(which is certainly possible, if theirs one thing I learned you can rig a bike with almost anything.) Apparently the law is you can have it out outside five km of city limits. Well from Huntsville, ON to Sault Ste Marie or Thunder Bay, that's quite a lot of wilderness. I'm also possibly moving to northern alberta to work next fall and I plan on doing a lot of wilderness trekking. I would also like to canoe the Mackenzie river. This is all a long ways off for the most part, but you can see where the application for wilderness carry comes in.

The being ready thing is key man, no doubt. But I think I'm gonna be a worry wart when it comes to carrying and not carry it loaded, or at least carry it unhinged if loaded. I also will be carrying bear spray. What I WOULD keep it loaded for is this... while I'm sleeping in the tent, while I'm cooking or fishing. Grizzly busting through my tent is a nightmare scenario. Also, the most important. What if I get lost, or worse injured. I think that's the most important, not so much the ambush but being lost in the wilderness.

Okay so I just realized the Dominion Arms Backpacker(love that name) is one barrel and the Norinco coach gun is double barrel. The Dominion Outlaw is double barrel as well but it isn't cylinder bore, so it's out of the question.

Honestly the backpacker looks awesome. And it's hella cheap. Like a single shot bb gun, except its 12 gauge haha. But the double might be a lot more fun to shoot, not to mention the idea of having two barrels is that you could scare off predators with that one shot, not worry about reloading as fast as you can. That said, I'd rather have two shots then one when confronted by a hostile grizzly.

Well I think I might just pick up the backpacker. More money for ammo, more ammo per shot. Less trouble. yeah, think I might pick up the single shot and if I think it's worth it i might pick up the double next winter, provided it's still legal haha.

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

I bought a Kel Tec Sub 2000 recently and theorized that it might be a good backpacking gun. If expecting bears, the 40 cal version might be in order. I'm still breaking mine in, I'd read that it takes 200 rounds before it stops failing to eject. I'm enjoying the process though.

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member

You seem set on your ways, but I'll just chime in a few more points for your consideration just in case.

I think the dominion arms grizzly 12.5 inch barrel would be the way to go for you for several reasons.

1) pump action. Holds 4 in the tube and one in the chamber. If you didn't want it to be loaded, then just out 4 in the tube and call it a day. Then when confronted by said grizzly etc, defence is just a quick pump away.

2) no exposed hammer. The 870 platform is considered as safe as it gets for negligible discharges. Drop friendly, trigger blocking safety (a good thing... Not a bad thing as originally stated.)

3) being a remington 870 clone, there is literally a plethora of aftermarket solutions for you. Everything from spare parts, side saddle shell holders, to stocks, to barrels (which leads to my next point...). Also gunsmiths around the world know how to fix these things if the odd occasion ever happens where it breaks.

4) get the 12.5 inch barrel, then order an additional remington 870 barrel in 26 inch for your turkey hunts. Now you have one shotgun for both jobs, rather then 2. Spend the extra cash in shells.

5) the grizzly is an 870... At a fraction of the cost. You can get the most popular shotgun in the world for less... Why wouldn't you haha. There is a reason it is the most popular as well. The 870 action is arguably the most rugged and simple design for a pump action.

6) I've shot the coach gun, and the back packer. Fun for the range i suppose, but i would never... I repeat... NEVER... stake my life on a hobby gun, especially a break action. The last tho you want to do in a life or death situation is have to rely in your fine motor skills, because you won't have any. Try loading a break action when your hands are asleep... Because that's what it feels like haha. But that's just me.

7) my griz has over 1000 rounds through it at the time of this writing. 2 3/4 inch... 3 inch... Slugs... Buckshot... Bird shot... You name it. Never miss fired, never failed to load or eject. The most I've fired in ine day is around 300 rounds. Barrel got hot, but she still went bang.

8) comes with a polymer stock... Not laminated wood like the break action dominion shotguns. Polymer is much better for outdoor hard use. Won't break, won't rot, won't be damaged by the elements.

9) as a prepper, I've always believed in having commonly found firearms. In case of a collapse, it will be much easier for me to repair or replace parts from an 870 then from a backpacker or coach model.

So that's my speel. Take it or leave it! If you do get a backpacker or coach gun, please do up a review for everyone!

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
(@koddie)
Eminent Member

Buggie, your comment on trigger block safety is not a bad thing I believe stems from my comment on it. I didn't explain it very well in my original post. Trigger block safeties are fine, however not adequate IMHO when you have exposed hammers. While the trigger may not be able to be functioned there is no information indicating the hammers cannot be forced onto the firing pin therefore discharging the firearm. Therefore the trigger block safety is not adequate on firearms with exposed hammers.

Trigger block safety is suitable on firearms that do not have exposed hammers because the hammer cannot be forced onto the firing pin. Of course, just because a firearm does not have exposed hammers does not mean it is drop safe.

The owners manual for the double barrel also had warnings about cocking the hammers with gloves on, when hands are wet, etc as the hammer may slip leading to an accidental discharge. Again for wilderness carry where stress might be high, this is a negative attribute.

For wilderness carry I am a fan of the 870. Never used any of the clones and I have nothing against them. I would avoid the mag fed version only because there are some reliability issues with the mags and spare mags are often difficult to find. I have a 1970's 870 that has been abused in the bush many times. Due to unfortunate circumstances the receiver has rusted, the wood stock is discoloured from being soaked in water, it has many scratches and dings, but it still fires every time. My backpack has openings between the main bag and side pockets which are designed to hold skis. I just slide the shotgun in there, it is readily accessible at all times and the top of the butt is even with the top of the pack so it doesn't hit branches above me. Mine has an 18 inch barrel. The biggest advantage for the 870 clones is the availability of shorter barrels, 14", 12.5", and 8.5" for much less money than real 870 barrels. For a little more money you can get short barrels from Dlask or NEA that are threaded so you can change chokes. The disappear fast when available, but they are out there.

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member

Ah ok, sorry about that! Misread your post!

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Eh Buggie, pat yourself on the back there bud. I think you just managed to convince me.

So you're telling me that if I buy this Dominion Arms Grizzly I can transfer say... a 26 inch Remington 870 barrel on to it, with a optional choke, effectively converting it into a hunting shotgun from a backpacking shotgun??

That is crazy and intuitive. It saves me almost 100 bucks. It's insane. Backpacking and hunting within the same firearm, it's nuts. And all I gotta do is carry a barrel. It's too easy, too convenient.

Other advantages you could include over the double barrel or single shot are being able to load shells without breaking the action open. Specific advantages eh.

See, I'll be honest. I saw that shotgun, and said to myself, it's too crazy looking. Everyone, including the police is gonna think I'm a maniac with that thing. I thought about being red flagged, being harassed. But Maybe I was being paranoid. On some level I don't think so.

At any rate, I don't think I can keep this in the city. Sure a safe holding a weapon that small is easily affordable but I don't think I could handle the heat.

Thanks so much for the ideas guys. Who knows, you may have at one point saved my life from a mauling.

PS- I'm tossing up the idea of going to Alberta for a job in June/July, and if that were to happen, I would for sure be doing some heavy duty backpacking and camping and hunting, in which case this setup would be ideal.

ReplyQuote
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Whoa whoa, did you mean the 8.5 or the 12.5 grizzly? Cause I kinda got my eye on the 8.5 to be honest, I think it would be much easier to carry. I know it only has 2+1 shots, but still.

ReplyQuote
(@koddie)
Eminent Member

I don't understand your comment about "the heat". The coach gun and the Grizzly with the 8.5" barrel or the 12.5" barrel are all classified as non-restricted so there is no difference in storage or transportation regulations for these firearms. For wilderness carry you need to have non-restricted. There are specific circumstances where you can get permits for restricted firearms, but generally you must be employed within specific fields. Permits will not be issued for recreation, hiking, etc.

I recall reading somewhere that standard length barrels will not fit on the Grizzly with the 8.5 inch barrel. The reason for this is that due to the short barrel length the magazine tube has to be shortened. As a result the metal ring on the barrel that slides over the magazine tube has to be moved back on the barrel toward the breach end. A standard length barrel the metal ring would forward of magazine tube and therefore the barrel cannot be attached.

I believe standard length barrels can be put on the shotgun with the 12.5 inch barrel. I can get some measurements off my 870 if you want to compare them to the Grizzly.

With the short barrelled shotguns you also have to be careful with accessories that you put on them. Folding stocks, collapsing stocks and pistol grips in place of full stocks could render the shotgun restricted or prohibited. This would certainly cause problems.

If you use a firearm outdoors ensure you know the regulations for Provincial and Federal Parks.

ReplyQuote
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hell that ain't so bad. About 100 bucks cheaper too. Thanks man!

About the heat... well dude maybe I'm just being paranoid. Not that I got anything to be paranoid about... I mean I follow the rules like a bastard, trust me.

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member

As far as "the rules" go... The 12.5 or the 8.5 inch barrel grizzly are both non-restricted... Which means they can be stored UNLOADED (meaning nothing in the chamber OR tube) under your bed, in yor closet, in the truck of your car... Etc. just depends on what you feel comfortable with.

FYI I keep mine in a safe... Not because I have to, but because it's responsible.

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network