May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Zero knowledge on firearms

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
(@massp)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have no knowledge whatsoever about prepping but I am slowly getting there. I live in Quebec and I don't have a firearm permit (and can't have one bcz of an old criminal record). Is there a way I could acquire an arm to protect my family if things turn bad? What about the arms sold at Canadian Tire (or else), do we also need a permit?

Thanks you for sharing your knowledge.

Patricia

(@denob)
Member Admin

OK, first of all...about the PAL...this may be a dumb question, but have you actually tried to get a permit, or just assuming?
Many times, minor offences that are very old could be overlooked, provided you have been a good little citizen since then.
Secondly, I have been told, and more or less confirmed that a flintlock muzzle loader does not require a PAL...I'm about 95% sure on this one.
Check this link...
http://www.cabelas.ca/category/flintlocks/950
One shot at a time and long to reload, but an option.
Keep in mind that bows (as well as crossbows) require no permit.

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

I think it goes beyond flintlocks. Some revolvers that fire "obsolete ammunition" are classified by name as antiques under the law, and supposedly don't require anything beyond cash. Although the ammunition might still require a PAL.

If you look at the Calgary Shooting Centre Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/shootingcentre and scroll down a bit, you'll see they have a few Swiss 1882 revolvers for $1400. They're pretty nice looking as antiques go. Or if you go to a gun show, there's probably a table of "No PAL Required" guns of varying prices.

On the cheaper side, you could also get an air rifle. Some of the better ones are in the same leaque with .22 rifles, but aren't regulated. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

Just came across this site with some cheaper antiques: www.antiquegunscanada.com

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

massp,

first disclaimer : this is for discussion purposes only!

There are more means to protect yourself than firearms. As pointed out above, bows/crossbows and good quality pellet guns are great options. So are slingshots, baseball bats, bear spray, hunting knives, "decorative swords" etc etc etc. Now be aware that using those in "normal" times may land you in big trouble however. Judicious storage would also help keeping things inconspicuous. For example, a baseball bats kept under your driver seat will scream "weapon!" as opposed to keeping it in your car trunk with a glove and ball. The sword on your mantle or in your office wall looks normal, much more than in the front door's closet.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Just to be clear, I do believe that preppers should be armed...and follow all the possesion, storage, transportation and use laws.
However, removing yourself from high risk areas is first and foremost.
I did that 2 1/2 years ago by moving from Montreal to my bug out location in the Lanaudiere.
Personally, I think Montreal is just a bad place to be given that you will need to use a bridge or a tunnel to get out, which may not be available after say a major earthquake as an example.
As far as antique firearms are concerned, yes, the ammo can be difficult or impossible to get.
Also, you take a BIG risk firing something of that age.
As mentioned, bear spray or dog repellant (followed up by a swift kick to a "sensitive" area) will give you ample time to escape.
Security is a tough topic and there is no one stop solution.
You need to figure out just what you "need" a firearm for.
If you want it for protection against roving gangs, becoming part of a group may be another solution...leaving security and firearms to others while you affer other benefits to the group such as first aid, food preservation, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member

I've recently been turned over to the idea of getting firearms, for hunting in a pinch and wilderness protection. But before I believed I could get by without them.

There are things you can do.

Training
-Strength training(Bench, overhead, squat, pullups, deadlift, gymnastics, try to acquire a heavy sandbag and lift that)
-boxing(heavy bag and shadowboxing)
-wrestling(taking people to the ground)
-combat conditioning(calisthenics, running, explosive drills)
-knife fighting training
-blunt weapon training

Utility
-tactical gloves
-extendable baton
-combat knives
-folding knives
-dog spray
-bear spray
-airsoft pistol(maybe even two of them)
-mouthguard???
-Any type of armour you can get away with- I was looking at this... http://www.mec.ca/shop/cycling-body-armour/50002+50009/

Weapons
-Crossbow
-compound bow

Take a look through your local Army Surplus and be creative. It's not like anyone would willingly want to screw with you if you're armed with this stuff. I'm sure even three or four guys wouldn't want to screw with you if you had bear spray in one hand and a tomahawk or a baton in the other.

On top of all this, these are items which ARE NOT IN PLAIN SIGHT. Which makes me want to think more carefully about picking up some of them.

At any rate you got short range and long range covered(I've seen head shots at 150 yards, I believe, with crossbow and scope.)

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

There's also paint ball guns. Pretty sure a stream of paint balls directed at the head will deter most people, or atleast give you an advantage.

In the US there are versions where the projectiles are actually full of pepper spray. Most certainly illegal here, but the basic paint ball gun isn't.

ReplyQuote
 Syn
(@syn)
Reputable Member

As a single mother of now older teenagers , I have been reluctant to bring an actual firearm into the house , just too many things can happen with kids and their friends and keeping it secure is a big responsibility . As my kids are maturing this will likely be a one day family decision with all members of the household receiving training to maintain and handle one . Being on a farm I have other things as detriments to wild life , slingshot, wasp spray and now a pellet gun and I have a long bow for archery as a leisure pastime . I realize there is security risk but so many ways to handle it with one of the most important to be developing your situational awareness, be more conscious of your surroundings and risks and how you respond , for instance being more careful securing of the home and vehicles, and having basic self defence training if not taking up a defensive type skill as part security and part fitness . I would suggest if you have zero knowledge of firearms that obtaining knowledge of a number of other aspects of security as well as firearms before you even look at acquiring one might be safer and more responsible .

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

(I've seen head shots at 150 yards, I believe, with crossbow and scope.)

Off topic slightly, but I don't suppose you remember the manufacturer and draw strength on that crossbow, do you? That's 2-4 times the distance I've seen crossbows and compound bows used for hunting, way past the usual head shot range, and would not mind getting my hands on that tool.

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Here's a vid of a 200 yard shot. Notice the arrow flies somewhere towards the moon before arcing back down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlDi-5ueaVM
Any modern bow of 300fps or more can do this but there no energy left after 50 or 60 yards. I have an older Excalibur and I won't shoot at the same target twice for fear of hitting the last arrow. Pretty much a laser beam under 40 yards.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Any modern bow of 300fps or more can do this but there no energy left after 50 or 60 yards. I have an older Excalibur and I won't shoot at the same target twice for fear of hitting the last arrow. Pretty much a laser beam under 40 yards.

I have an older Excalibur, too, an Exocet. I don't have to worry about splitting arrows most of the time, but she's still beautiful to me. 🙂

I was at a hunting camp once and had the guide and a client come in, guide looking all punchy and pale. Dude was a European Olympic archery guy and had used a crossbow to take a deer right at 75 yards, perfect. I've seen longer compound bow shots (one or two, by really, really special guys) but that's the longest and most perfect crossbow shot I've ever seen.

I just want to point out that most people who hunt living things won't take crossbow shots at more than the 40 yards Perfesser mentions, usually somewhere in the 30 to 50 yard range. Only really good guys give 60 yards a shot, and only in perfect weather if they care about clean kills and how long a deer will run (exceptions for bad judges of distance). Before we go there, the archery squads who used to make mincemeat out of castle guards were aiming at the sky and the castle guards were what military types like to call area targets. Nobody was aiming at individuals.

I can't imagine spending the time cranking my scope back and forth that much, because the trajectory for 20 and 50 are pretty significantly different as it is. I guess you could use a 3-bar sight for 20-30-40 and a scope for 80-90-100.

ReplyQuote
(@blueflash)
Trusted Member

Just for fun, one day a few of us were shooting long range with out crossbows & compound bows...Once you know were to aim, its not very difficult to shoot 70-80 yards consistently...with my scoped exomax I was hitting man sized targets at 100 yards about 80%, and if I practised I know I could be more consistant and shoot further...just takes time and practise.

Bty, if your criminal offences are 5 years past or are minor, then you should be ablebto get a non restricted PAL. I know guys that thought they could not get a PAL, but after a interview or letter describing the reason of the incident they got a PAL. Im not sure what they consider minor though.

ReplyQuote
(@supermag)
Eminent Member

Biggest thing in crimal record is being prohibated from owning firearms? (prohibitation order attached)
2nd is was there any use of force or assault associated with charges ? (was a weapon or physical violence used)
lastly have you been or are eligable for a pardon?
You can always try

supermag

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member

You could try getting a national pardon. Just google "Canada criminal record pardons" and see if any of the scenarios apply to yourself. This removes any legal reason as to why the rcmp would turn down your application (provided you are successful in receiving a pardon)

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network