May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Modem over Radio Question

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

To those with the technical knowledge:

I have heard it is possible to setup a radio based intranet. So, computers talk to computers via a radio - ham, cb, frs, gmrs, etc.

How do you set up a radio to connect to the modem of your computer/laptop/netbook???

If this is possible and realistic to setup, I could put my old 386 laptop in a faraday cage with a converted radio and have some form of secure comms after SHTF.

Any tech tips or opinions??

Cheers,

Mountainman.

PS - Could setup a relay network from coast-to-coast??????

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yes this can and is done in the ham field. It is often used for email etc. by members of ARES in disaster areas. I have seen it demonstrated. The required software may not work on a 386 though probably because of the operating system. You will likely need something a little newer plus a ham radio etc.

ReplyQuote
(@outandabout)
Trusted Member

Packet radio goes back to the days of the 286 and possibly earlier. I worked with WEFAX (weather facsimile, or WEather FAX) back in the 8086 days so a 386 would do the job for most data rates.

Google for packet radio / packet modems and you'll find the necessary information for interfacing the radio to the computer.

As a suggestion though, rather than a 386, you might look for some old used laptops. They're designed for low power consumption and you could make use of solar power and a 12 volt battery for keeping it operational when the power is out.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks ICRCC & Out&About:

My old 386 is a laptop (OS Win95), so, thanks for the pointers. I will try to find the time to do more research on this packet system.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@outandabout)
Trusted Member

I haven't played with that kind of stuff for awhile so I did a quick search for a more current introduction, you can find some good information at http://www.tapr.org/packetradio.html

One of the appealing aspects of setting up a packet system is that you can run a BBS (Bulletin Board System) such as were popular in the 80s and early 90s. A great way to keep in contact with other preppers if the internet went down or got censored.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Out&About or ICRCC,

In your opinion do you see value in having a text over radio system in a post-SHTF scenario?? Is this something worth investing in?? I have radios and a spare laptop. The laptop is too old to have any commercial value but as a portable text terminal.........

Or am I looking at this all wrong and I should try to solve how to do this same thing with an i-pad or i-phone as the laptop, and then figure out how to send the data via radio?? Does Apple have an app for a radio based internet??

Just thinking out loud,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@outandabout)
Trusted Member

It's a clever idea but I can't say it would be all that practical.

Just my opinion, but I tend to believe that if there were mass power outages on a national/continental/worldwide scale due to EMP or other reasons, the first form of long distance wireless communication would be CW (Continuous Wave) or more traditionally known as Morse Code. The transmitters can still be built by anyone who has at least enough knowledge to read a schematic diagram and cannibalize electronic devices for necessary parts. I used to do that kind of stuff when I was 11-12 years old so it isn't beyond the reach of anyone who can use a soldering iron.

The major problem with modern radio transceivers is that you can't repair them in the field like you could in past decades. You can't simply switch out a tube, diode or transistor and have things working again.

At one time, you could hack together a workable microphone by stripping out the carbon rods from a couple batteries (D cell or similar) and laying a strip of graphite from a pencil across them. You taped the carbon rods onto a piece of cardboard, attached wires and presto, a crude but workable microphone. In WWII, they built foxhole radios with a razor blade and piece of graphite from a pencil. A crude but workable crystal radio.

Quite honestly, I expect a reversion back to that old technology. Not immediately, but over time as the more modern equipment dies and can't be repaired.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Out&About,

Thanks for the candid reply.

When I have time I will return to researching this idea, on the back burner for now.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

ICRCC and Other Radio/Computer Experts,

I found this ad on Kijiji. Thoughts?????

Mountainman.

ICOM ID-1 Digital Ham Radio FM 1.2 GHz
Watch | Share| Print | Report Ad

Date Listed 23-Nov-12
Price $999.99
Address Hawkwood, Calgary, AB, Canada
View map

Digital Voice and Internet

Still under Warranty

Only Radio that does this

DSTAR Digital Voice AND Digital Data Capable

Ethernet and USB Connection

Internet anywhere!

What is D-STAR?

D-STAR is a new ham radio system which offers digital voice and data communication. It connects repeater sites over microwave links and the Internet and forms a wide area ham radio network. The DSTAR system provides a new capability and functionality to the ham radio world and increases the efficiency of emergency communications.
What can the D-STAR system do?
128kbps digital data and 4.8kbps digital voice communication
The D-STAR system provides not only digital voice (DV mode) communication but also digital data transmission (DD mode). It can exchange various data files such as graphics, images, etc, at 128kbps.
Your voice and data can reach further than ever
Multiple repeater links by radio and the Internet provide long distance communication to virtually anywhere.
Internet application available
The D-STAR system uses the TCP/IP protocol, so when connected with a PC, web, e-mail and other Internet applications are available.
Wireless Internet Access
No matter where you travel within the DSTAR network, you can access the web, e-mail, text messages and multimedia messages.
Independent network
In DD mode, ID-1 can transfer data directly with another ID-1 without the use of a repeater. This is useful for establishing a simple network where a D-STAR repeater does not exist or D-STAR services are not required.
Increase efficiency of emergency communications
Out in the field, fast emergency information is the key. Send pictures and weather charts to or from a remote location with the ID-1. “A picture is worth a thousand words”, and efficient send/receive opens up your repeater for other emergency communications.
D-STAR system will be upgraded
The D-STAR system will be enhanced and new D-STAR radios will be released, adding features and performance to the D-STAR system.
PC remote controller supplied
The controller software is supplied with the ID-1. When the ID-1 is connected to a PC via a USB cable, most functions of the ID-1 can be controlled from the PC. In DD mode operation*, you can browse web sites and send and receive e-mail as if the ID-1 is a 10W wireless network adapter.
Useful callsign functions
The ID-1 embeds your own and the called station’s callsign in your transmission. When you input “CQCQCQ” as the intended station, you can make a CQ call in the area. The calling station’s ID is displayed on the received station and a newly received callsign can be automatically stored in the memory.
Digital callsign squelch (DSQL) & Digital code squelch (CSQL)
The DSQL opens the squelch, only when your callsign is received. When you share a single callsign with a club or group members, the CSQL function allows you to set a CSQL code from 00 to 99 and provides quiet stand-by while other members are talking.
EMR mode operation
When you require the attention of all stations in the area, the Enhanced Monitor Request (EMR) mode operation allows the caller to bypass the CSQL and DSQL setting of the receivers station. During EMR mode operation, all receiving stations will hear your audio, even though they may be muted.
Short message in DV mode
Short messages of 20 characters max. can be sent in DV mode operation.
Analog FM mode operation
The ID-1 also operates in analog FM mode, allowing you to communicate with an analog FM transceiver. In FM mode operation, the ID-1 has CTCSS tone squelch and pocket beep functions for quiet stand-by

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

ICRCC or Others,

Here is another unit with D-Star. Any opinions??

Mountainman.

Click below to view additional product images.
ICOM
ID-31A
UHF ONLY D-STAR W/ GPS HT IPX7 DSTAR IC-ID31A

Regular Price: $349.95
-$45.00 MFR Discount (Exp:03/31/13)
-$5.00 HRO Holiday Discount (Exp:01/15/13)
HRO Discount Price: $299.95

This item is also available at these Ham Radio Outlet locations:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Stock Anaheim, CA In Stock Sunnyvale, CA In Stock Oakland, CA Low Stock San Diego, CA In Stock Burbank, CA In Stock Phoenix, AZ
In Stock Woodbridge, VA In Stock Atlanta, GA In Stock Salem, NH Low Stock Denver, CO In Stock Portland, OR In Stock New Castle, DE

Detailed Product Description
Introducing Icom's New ID-31A UHF D-STAR Handheld:
New ID-31A. A compact and submersible radio with GPS, Micro SD card, and more!

UHF Only
• Submersible Construction (IPX7)
• Internal GPS
- GPS "Last Heard" Log
- GPS Waypoint Memory
• Large Dot-Matrix Display
• 1252 Alphanumeric Memory Channels
- 500 Regular
- 700 D-STAR Repeater Memories
- 50 Scan Edges
- 2 Call Channels
• Cloning Software Included
• Micro SD Card (Optional)
- DVR Incoming/Outgoing Messages
- GPS Log
- Memory Backup

Details:

Lightweight & Compact Body

The ID-31A has a compact 58 95 25.4mm (2.28 3.74 1 in) body, and weighs only 225g (7.94oz) with battery pack and antenna (approx.). It's easy for carrying around all the time, anywhere.

IPX7 Submersible Construction

The ID-31A provides superior waterproof protection equivalent to IPX7 (1m depth of water for 30 minutes). Ideal for use in harsh outdoor environments.

Built-in GPS Receiver

The built-in GPS receiver shows your current position and altitude n the display and offers a position reporting function in DV mode. The PS log function logs your position information at regular intervals (1
second–60 seconds, depending on the setting) and memorizes this in the icroSD card to export to your PC. In addition, the GPS-A mode assists in easy D-PRS mode operation.

D-STAR DV (Digital Voice) Mode

The D-STAR DV mode has lots of advantages over the analog FM mode: digitally modulated clear voice, 950 bps (approx.) data, individual calling using a call sign and access to the world wide
repeater network linked with the Internet.

Automatic Repeater List-up Function

The ID-31A will be shipped with D-STAR repeater memories pre-programmed*. Using the GPS position information, the automatic repeater list-up function shows the list of nearby D-STAR repeaters from the memory.

* To use the automatic repeater list-up function, the position data of the repeater is required.
The position data of some D-STAR repeaters may not be available.

microSD Card Slot

When used with a microSD card (up to 32GB), various contents including voice memories, GPS log, memory channels, D-STAR repeater memories and other personal settings can be stored on the microSD card
and can be transferred to a PC. The voice memory function records incoming and outgoing calls in “WAV” format and allows you to play them on the radio or on a PC.

Full Dot-matrix Display & Directional Keypad

The directional keypad and quick menu button help you with quick and intuitive access to many settings and speeds up the operation. The large full dot-matrix display with easy-to-read characters offers
better visibility. The LCD and keypad backlighting is handy for night time operation.

5W Output Power

Using a highly-efficient PA amplifier, the ID-31A generates 5W of RF output power from this compact body. The supplied BP-271 provides up to 4.5 hours* of operating time, and the optional large capacity
battery pack, BP-272 provides up to 7.5 hours* of operating time.
* Typical operation with 1:1:8 duty cycle in DV mode. (Power save ON, GPS OFF)

External DC Power Jack

An external DC power jack allows for operation with an external DC power supply (10–16V DC*). When used with the CP-19R, CP-12L or OPC-254L/LR, simultaneous operation during charging is possible.
* When more than 14V volts is applied, the output power is reduced to Mid level (2.5W)

CS-31 Cloning Software Supplied

The CS-31 cloning software* is supplied with the ID-31A (supplied with the application CD). Used with this software, various settings including the memory channels, D-STAR repeater memories and
other settings can be made from a PC. The latest version of the CS-31 will be available from the Icom web site.
* Either optional OPC-2218LU USB cloning cable or a microSD card is required for transferring the data.

Total 1,252 Memory Channels

The ID-31A has a total 1,252 memory channels, including 500 regular channels, 700 D-STAR repeater
(DR) memories, 50 scan edges and 2 call channels with 26 memory banks. All memory channels, program
scan can edges and memory banks can be named with 16-character channel comments.

Multiple Scan Functions

The ID-31A supports various scan types for maximum reception and ease of use.
• Full scan • Programmed scan • Duplex scan • Memory scan • Mode memory scan • All bank scan
• Selected bank scan • Tone scan • Bank link scan 5W Output Power (DMS) • Program scan link • Skip scan

Other Features

• Analog FM mode (Wide/Narrow)
• Built-in CTCSS/DTCS encoder and decoder
(for analog FM)
• 16 DTMF memory channels (24 digits)
• Squelch release function to monitor a weak signal
• Automatic repeater function*
(* Depending on version)
• Optional CT-17, CI-V level converter for remote
radio control
• Auto power save
• Auto power off
• Clock function
• Priority watch
• Key lock function

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Here are some reviews from a trusted source for the ICOM ID-1 : http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3660
It really depends on what function you want your radio to fulfill. Do you really want to depend on repeaters? As for the cost its is there but still in the ball park for the unit. personally I think there are other avenues to take that would be less costly but as I said it depends on your intended use.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks ICRCC!

I will continue to research and ponder this technology,before I make the leap.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network