May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Lesson learned

47 Posts
14 Users
0 Reactions
(@justin-k)
Trusted Member

Changing a tire should be a very simple task. Right?
I am a pretty handy guy and fix anything I set my mind to, BUT, yes there is always a but

You have to have the knowledge #1 and the proper tools #2. I have removed and replaced over a 1000 tires in my life and I did not figure a flat tire would be a problem until it actually happened to me.
I was in a hurry so I did not call CAA at first and figured I could do it my self after all I have changed lots of tires.
It started with getting the spare tire from under the truck. well that in itself was a task. I eventually had to get the owners manual and find exactly where the secret hole was to insert the assembled rod in 4 pieces where it goes through the bumper and align it at the correct angle to allow the tire to be cranked down to the ground then had to manipulate the retaining system to release the spare tire. that took a about 20 minutes, just to get the spare tire. So the frustration level was getting up there. So I got the jack set up and blocked the tires. and when I went to loosen the tire before raising the vehical, the tire iron supplied with the truck bent in a U shape. the more I pulled the more it bent. So I admitted defeat and called CAA. It took him over and hour to get there. When he finally arrived the first thing he asked for was MY tire wrench. I gave it to him and he said it was unusable and he did not have one with him. So I asked him for a ride to a local mechanic it was a Sunday afternoon, so nothing was open. I eventually went to Canadian tire and bought 2 of the 4 way tire irons both SAE and Metric and got a ride back to my vehical, the total ordeal took over 3 hours to change tire. And I used to be a mechanic. Boy did I feel stupid.

Not to mention I already own 4 of the 4 way tire irons, but they are all at home over an hour away, besides why would I need to carry one with me? The truck comes equipped with everything I require, right?

The moral of the story is practice, practice, practice.

I have a great deal of knowledge and skill doing the task at hand, but, I had never changed a tire on that specific vehical on the side of the road. I had always threw it on the hoist and used the impact or my hand tools from my tool box. but I did not have all my tools with me nor did I have a hoist or an air impact, so I was almost screwed because of a flat tire.

Ironically when I arrived 3 hours late for my appointment and I told them I was late because I had a flat tire.
I was not believed, until I explained the whole story.

You should rotate your tires every 5000 km, so next time try doing it in your laneway, but the trick is only using what you have in your vehical and see if you require anything extra.

Again
#1 get the knowledge
#2 Get the proper tools
#3 Practice practice practice.

Practice with your equipment on a regular basis, so you know how it works and more important, WILL it work when you really need it.

Do not wait until you require the skills to survive, learn them now, before it is too late
The life you save may be your own.

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

One of the lessons that I learned a while ago but I am finally starting to get some place with it is organization of "stuff".

I am painting all of my tool trays & re-labelling them. Lesson learned from this - easier & faster to just buy new sets.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network