May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bug Protein

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Currently, there are approximately 2,000 species of bugs around the world that are included within the human diet. I've read scientific reports on the survival ability of insects and many believe that bugs will be here long after man had left the planet.

Regardless, Bugs remain a readily available source of protein during several month of the year. In a survival situation, this shouldn't be overlooked. They are a reasonably stable food source.

Grasshoppers / Crickets

Grasshoppers are quite popular in Mexico. To prepare them, clean them thoroughly and grill them with a little olive oil (or whatever you have available) a good alternative is animal fat, but I'm sure someone will say: 'If I have animal protein what am I doing eating bugs?' πŸ™‚

On the grill you can mix in a little lime or lemon juice, but any fruit juice will do (wild cranberry works well). There's something positive added to the taste (perhaps the reaction to the acid).

I've had them raw in a survival situation. However I'd recommend that you remove the legs first if you decide to eat them in this manner.

Maggots

Maggots are found in rotting animals in the wild. Although the animal is tainted and poisonous (the maggots are a good indicator that this is the case), the maggots can provide a nutritious meal.

They can be eaten raw (Maggot infested cheese is consumed in Italy), however this is not without risk. Try frying them. To me they taste like rice crispies with a bit of nutty taste.

Earthworms

Earthworms are a great source of protein. They are consumed in something like 80 countries, as a matter of course in what is accepted as a normal diet. They can be eaten raw or stir-fried and mixed with edible plants/flowers. I've ground them up and used them as a thickener in a stew made of squirrel/rabbit, roots and greens. I doubt that you will taste them at all, but will add much required protein to the meal.

The trick is to clean them well. I've found that pulling them through my two fingers (closed on the worm like scissors) seems to work well. I do this, let them soak in clear water for a half-hour and repeat. They're then ready for consumption.

Flies/Mosquitos

In the bush there always seems to be an ample amount of flies. This is especially so when Mayflies are hatching, as they're readily available by the thousands.

If you have collected enough, you can squish them together into circles (like meat balls), or make patties and make fly burgers. Cook them like you would hamburger. I've read that he protein content of a flyburger is comparable to one made of beef.

A mixture of flies and mosquitoes are consumed by a number of cultures. In the Congo region of Africa, it's considered to be a delicacy. Given however the virus transmission rate attributable to the mosquito, I don't intend on introducing them into my diet.

Bon Appetit!

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

I know insects (especially grasshoppers) are a great source of protein and if it wasnt for the cultural conditioning..we would probably be eating these more..

But damn...the gag reflex at the thought... πŸ™‚

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member

I like having the knowledge but prep so my family won't have to eat like that. Same with water. Drinking your own piss isn't an option. Then always have water and filtration on you

ReplyQuote
(@haliboy)
Trusted Member

White guys eating bugs in China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REzvpWxyYps

I watch these two guys all the time. Learned a lot about modern day China.

Why did I join Canadian Preppers Network?
Well I was going to join the UK Network but those bloody Brits don't know how to speak proper English! πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network