April 20, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Five Unusual Fire Starting Methods

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The Preppers I've spoken to have justifiably taken pride in their preparations. But what happens if those preparations are destroyed by the disaster you have prepared for: flood, fire, hurricane or tornado?

How do we start a fire without a match? A spark immediately comes to mind, but here are five ways that are definitely off the beaten path:

1. Potassium permanganate (often employed in cleaning wounds and in home water treatment) and Glycerine (used to make soap and for ear infections and skin maladies). A few drops of glycerine onto potassium permanganate will cause an immediate flame.

2. Steel wool and a battery. A small charge will ignite steel wool into an excellent fire starter.

3. A Convex lens from: eyeglasses, magnifying glass, camera, binoculars placed toward the sun. You can even use a clear bottle (filled with water) or make a lens out of ice (all you need is to find a frozen stream or pond and cut a piece of clear ice out of it. With your knife, roughly shape the block of ice to make two opposite sides convex. Then use your hands to smooth the two convex sides, finishing the lens).

To start a fire, find the focal point of the lens (where the light comes together to the brightest part) by adjusting the distance between the lens and your tinder. When the point of light is the smallest, you have discovered the prime focal point..

4. A Convex surface such as a flashlight lens or soda can.

If you use a soda can, polish it first with chocolate (yes chocolate), toothpaste or powdered cleanser for about 1/2 hour. This doesn't focus the light as well as glass and takes longer to ignite.

5. Powdered Chlorine and Brake Fluid

Another combination that will ignite. Place a palm-full of the powder in your tinder and pour the break fluid (about 1/2 an ounce) on top. Works like magic...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

(@jimbo-jones)
Estimable Member

I use the glycerine and potassium permanganate method .I had to order it in but the local drug store brought it in for me , no problems.

ReplyQuote
(@tazweiss)
Honorable Member

A new tweak on an old method.
Last year, I was browsing YouTube and came across an innovation for the fire drill. Instead of using a carved handhold for the top of the spindle, carry a rollerblade wheel with you and use that. I tried it and it works really well. Less friction up top means less energy wasted and it actually fit quite well in my hand.

Those who are unwilling to defend freedom, will become unfree.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A new tweak on an old method.
Last year, I was browsing YouTube and came across an innovation for the fire drill. Instead of using a carved handhold for the top of the spindle, carry a rollerblade wheel with you and use that. I tried it and it works really well. Less friction up top means less energy wasted and it actually fit quite well in my hand.

Nice!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The Preppers I've spoken to have justifiably taken pride in their preparations. But what happens if those preparations are destroyed by the disaster you have prepared for: flood, fire, hurricane or tornado?

How do we start a fire without a match? A spark immediately comes to mind, but here are five ways that are definitely off the beaten path:

1. Potassium permanganate (often employed in cleaning wounds and in home water treatment) and Glycerine (used to make soap and for ear infections and skin maladies). A few drops of glycerine onto potassium permanganate will cause an immediate flame.

2. Steel wool and a battery. A small charge will ignite steel wool into an excellent fire starter.

3. A Convex lens from: eyeglasses, magnifying glass, camera, binoculars placed toward the sun. You can even use a clear bottle (filled with water) or make a lens out of ice (all you need is to find a frozen stream or pond and cut a piece of clear ice out of it. With your knife, roughly shape the block of ice to make two opposite sides convex. Then use your hands to smooth the two convex sides, finishing the lens).

To start a fire, find the focal point of the lens (where the light comes together to the brightest part) by adjusting the distance between the lens and your tinder. When the point of light is the smallest, you have discovered the prime focal point..

4. A Convex surface such as a flashlight lens or soda can.

If you use a soda can, polish it first with chocolate (yes chocolate), toothpaste or powdered cleanser for about 1/2 hour. This doesn't focus the light as well as glass and takes longer to ignite.

5. Powdered Chlorine and Brake Fluid

Another combination that will ignite. Place a palm-full of the powder in your tinder and pour the break fluid (about 1/2 an ounce) on top. Works like magic...

Funny you mention the brake fluid... I never knew that one but as an aside, atoned vehicles can be a gold mine of material. Tons of stuff in them to tweak and you find them in farmers woodlots all the time. I bet you can get a spark from an old battery that has sat there for years. Be a good thread for another discussion

ReplyQuote
(@koddie)
Eminent Member

Old thread, but a couple of ideas.

I have several Mini Maglites, the older style with incandescent bulbs. When you remove the head of the flashlight the bulb stays on. If you remove the bulb and insert two pieces of wire into the holes the bulb fits into and touch the wires to the steel wool the current will flow through the wires and start a fire. Don't connect the wires to each other. I keep two short copper wires taped near the tail cap of the flashlight. I started putting tape near the tail cap as I have a bad habit of holding the flashlight in my mouth. The tape prevents any unfortunate incidents from occurring in the cold.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Actually, you don't even need the flashlight.  Most batteries will set off steel wool just by touching it to the two leads.  You should have a small amount of steel wool in your fire kit.  I keep a pill bottle full in mine.

ReplyQuote
(@koddie)
Eminent Member

I know I don't need the flashlight however I thought it was a neat trick. I have never had to use it in an emergency but have used for fun. I like to build a small tinder pile around the steel wool with an opening on one side. Insert the flashlight and start the fire.

i read in a military manual it is possible to start a fire by removing the bullet and powder from a cartridge and then putting a cotton swab into the cartridge case. Fire the cartridge and the primer will ignite the cotton swab. I have never tried it and there are some details missing. It doesnt say wether the primer will have enough power to push the cotton swab down the barrel and out the muzzle or if it would remain in the cartridge case or chamber of the rifle.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network