May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Portable Solar Generator kit

50 Posts
13 Users
0 Reactions
(@javert)
Eminent Member

I actually have one of the goal zero yeti models and I really like it. I am in the process of linking them to my main breaker box to run my whole house. I have to say though I have two that link together that increases the watts and charge. I was going to test if just one would power my fridge over night after being charged for one day but haven't gotten around to it. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

ReplyQuote
(@analog-man)
Trusted Member

I actually have one of the goal zero yeti models and I really like it.

Good someone with a unit, could you tell me what you like, what have you been useing it for? what loads has it run?
I am sure It will run your fridge overnight, once.

ReplyQuote
(@crybaby)
Estimable Member

I am in the process of linking them to my main breaker box to run my whole house. I have to say though I have two that link together that increases the watts and charge.

Unless you live in a cardboard shack behind the Cecil Hotel, don't waste your time or money.

Only thing those solar generators are good for is charging flashlights and small electronics.

Unless something makes Zippo's, Weber charcoal grills, sailboats, and firearms useless (or causes beer/wine/Scotch/pork to spoil) - I won't even notice if the grid goes down.....

ReplyQuote
(@analog-man)
Trusted Member

Unless you live in a cardboard shack behind the Cecil Hotel, don't waste your time or money.

No I hope he absolutly goes ahead, and hooks up both units to his home, the money is spent already,it takes nothing but a few minutes to hook to the panel for testing purposes. Do it, I know the out come, but this is the only way to learn.
At this point learning something will be the best hoped for outcome, and learn it now rather than during a ice storm that takes down the grid for two days in the middle of winter, then find out that unit wont even keep your 1/4 horse furnace motor running through it, let alone a few lights and coffee maker.
I should add I have nothing against this unit, only its price and claims. If they sold it for 300.00 and claimed nothing more than running a couple lights and laptops for a evening or two then the rest of the week to reacharge I wouldnt be so hard on it, but this is promoted as if its a seriuos powerhouse, only the price is serious.

ReplyQuote
(@mountaineer)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Here's the scoop on the deal I worked out with the company for those who might be interested in this type of a generator. Start reading from the bottom up!!

Company's response:
We would have to invoice you at a higher price, and once you reached 10 units, apply a credit. This would be an internal process only, as we would not invoice the credit cards until the goods were ready for pick-up. Should you not reach the minimum of 10 kits, the adjusted price would be about 10% higher.

I would direct all of your friends to one particular person in our Calgary office, to ensure they get the proper pricing.

My response:
Thanks for the prompt response. Can each family place their order directly with you using their credit card to make sure they get one when the shipment arrives in Calgary? Can you please provide some type of "special code" I can forward onto everyone so they don't have to go through myself?

Company's response:
The tripod is to mount the 4 - 30 watt panels into an array, and be able to track the sun more easily.

The cost to you for the 2 panel kit would be $1,295.00 plus tax. The Cost for the 4 panel array kit would be $1695, plus tax. These prices assume a purchase of at least ten kits at a time, and that they are picked up at our Calgary office. I would also suggest looking at adding some of the Light-a-Life LED lights. They are only 3 watts of draw each, come with a 9 foot cable and they can be chained together to create lots of lighting. Your special cost would be $35.00 each.

We are awaiting our next shipment of Yetis to arrive by mid-September. Given how popular they have been, I would reccommend placing the order as soon as you have made a decision, so that you are in the queue for getting your units.

Thank you for your inquiry. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to address them personally.

My response:
Picking up in Calgary would work-out fine. Please quote the yeti with 2 panels and 4 panels for options. What is the purpose of the tripod?

Company's response:
I would be happy to discuss the possibility of a volume purchase discount. Firstly, are we talking about the Yeti kit with 2 panels, or the Yeti kit with 4 panels and a tripod? The 2 panel kit gives you 60 watts of inbound power, and will recharge the system from empty to full in about 20 hours of full sun. The 4 panel kit will do the same in about 10 hours of full sun. If you need to regenerate even faster, a second array can be added, so that you can regenerate in about 5 hours.

Also, if you were able to pick the order up at our Calgary office, we would also be able to save you the freight.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I laid the ground work, got a much better deal than is offered on their website. Anyone interested in participating in this deal? Please reply to this posting or send me a PM. I ask that only those who are serious about purchasing a unit, speak-up. πŸ˜† Feel free to comment on the pricing if you must. Last but not least, I'm sure if we wanted to double-up and get an additional 4 panels to make it a total of 8 panels, I could see if they'd work out a special deal on it. I have yet to ask the rep whether or not any solar panels can be hooked up to this unit. Comments anyone on my last sentence?

Mountaineer's Wife

ReplyQuote
(@crybaby)
Estimable Member

I'll take 10.

Antsy will follow up with his credit card info toot sweet.

ReplyQuote
(@mountaineer)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'll take 10.

Antsy will follow up with his credit card info toot sweet.

I have a hard time believing that you'll even take one!

ReplyQuote
(@crybaby)
Estimable Member

Your right.

Just be careful is all.

They really are not what they are cracked up to be.

Costco.ca had so many returns, they discontinued selling them. Costco spends millions researching the products they sell.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@darren)
Trusted Member

The cost to you for the 2 panel kit would be $1,295.00 plus tax. The Cost for the 4 panel array kit would be $1695,

I would suggest (as others have already) that you do a little more research. In their e-mail they would double your panels for only $400. So their 4 panels total 120 watts. I was looking at solar panels last week and could purchase 230 watt panels for $400 each. These are high end 25 year warranty panels. I think you could do better thats all. Hate seeing people get taken advantage of.

ReplyQuote
(@mountaineer)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Your right.

Just be careful is all.

They really are not what they are cracked up to be.

Costco.ca had so many returns, they discontinued selling them. Costco spends millions researching the products they sell.

Good luck.

I hate to inform you but Costco is selling them. They were at CrossIron last Saturday and will be at Beacon Hill this Saturday but the price is higher for this generator. This company is actually scheduled to go across Canada with Costco getting exlusive rights to selling them. We first came across them in Costco in Billings in April 2012. So whoever told you that Costco has discontinued selling them misinformed you. (This might be true for on-line buying but certainly not in-store).

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member

i have a glow in the dark sun dial id like to sell you, top of the line. I also have a double decker outhouse for sale as well. any reasonable offer will be accepted.

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
(@crybaby)
Estimable Member

Show me.

http://www.costco.ca

They are no longer listed or will be carried.

Be my guest, buy it.

ReplyQuote
(@mountaineer)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Show me.

http://www.costco.ca

They are no longer listed or will be carried.

Be my guest, buy it.

Check-out Costco, Beacon Hill location in Calgary this weekend and you'll find them there. Check-out the schedule shows for Alberta at Costco.
http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/SE_AUGUST_ENGLISH_02.pdf?cm_sp=ITWEN-_-SpecialEvents-_-JULYPDF

ReplyQuote
(@crybaby)
Estimable Member

This reminds me of these oil industry yuppies who purchase a new bike. They splurge on fancy matching his/her doo rags, ill fitting chaps, skull rings, wallets hanging from chains, shiny big boots, head out on the open road to Bragg Creek only once a year...... and haven't the foggiest idea on how to truly ride.

ReplyQuote
(@analog-man)
Trusted Member

Hate seeing people get taken advantage of.

He isnt being taken advantage of. He is privy to the same info everyone else has. Time to smile πŸ˜€ and wave...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network