May 05, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The other side of the coin.

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I would like to bring up a problem we might have to solve.
What if we have to go to other people who have stuff when we don't. We have to ask for help. Will we have something for bartering?
Are they friendly or will they shoot first and shoot later?

This is a very real subject we need to discuss.

Also, if civilization ends and there are a few lucky folks scattered in communities like the one we want to have...
How do we go about bringing them back together again?

Hmmm, maybe I should rethink the quiet part...

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Q-Man,

Explorers and traders. They found the New World twice - the Vikings in the 1000's AD and the Spanish in the late 1400's. If we, and other communities survive whatever may be thrown our way. Those in the groups who like to look for stuff will scout out potential locations and maybe make contact. Once other locations are discovered and mapped out, trading parties will be sent to establish trade. I would however, suggest using scouts to survey the new community, so you are not trying to establish trade with a bunch of head-hunting, cannibal, rapist looters. You want to establish contact with other "good" communities.

Of course, you will need to have a marketable item to trade. Something, someone else will need or want. If you have read one of the links to story by a survivor of the Bosnian conflict you will know that Bic lighters, matches and other small items made good trading items. Cheap now, priceless later.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Right on gc-mountainman!!
This is exactly the kind of response I was hopeing to recieve.

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@muskeg)
Eminent Member

Oddly enough, this is one of the things I have been working on. I watched a large number of friends and coworkers try to go without coffee for a while. Coffee drinkers are like crack addicts, they need their fix and if they don't get it, they fall apart. At first I was merely amused, then I realized the trade potential.

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member

You could stockpile crack. Guarenteed way to get people going out doing your scavenging for you! They will come back and trade everything they have for a hit.

Joking... But serious lol

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
(@lgsbrooks)
Honorable Member

Toilot paper is GOLD! That is what I will have for barter.

ReplyQuote
(@tazweiss)
Honorable Member

Toilet paper, I'm all for that. I had thought that I may eventually resort to using grass but with my knees it'll be awful hard dragging my butt across the lawn. 😆 😆

Those who are unwilling to defend freedom, will become unfree.

ReplyQuote
susannah755
(@susannah755)
Noble Member

Toilet paper, I'm all for that. I had thought that I may eventually resort to using grass but with my knees it'll be awful hard dragging my butt across the lawn. 😆 😆

oh thanks Taz.....just pmsl. I'm sure someone would help you out rather than watching you perform that particular activity!

Russell Coight....outback legend

ReplyQuote
(@tazweiss)
Honorable Member

I don't do it anymore. My wife says that the neighbours started complaining. I don't understand what the fuss is. You'd think that they could just start having their kids play in the back yard instead. 🙄

Those who are unwilling to defend freedom, will become unfree.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
Antsy
(@antsy)
Reputable Member

Needs must when the devil drives.

ReplyQuote
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Toilet paper the new currency... who knew?
He or she with the most rolls wins.
If the SHTF, you will need to clean it off.
Itchy ans Scratchy won't just be nicknames.
Here is an important question... Are you a folder or a buncher?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network