May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Are CB's hard to install?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I ended up in possession of a CB Radio. Cobra III. I have no idea what to do with it or how to hook it upto my car or home. But hey...it cost me $3.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? Is it simple enough to hook up to a car myself? Can I run it at home on a battery? Are there any links here on IPN or any good videos that someone could recommend on how to get this thing running.

Thanks, TCO

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Hi TCO,

Installation of a CB radio isn't difficult. You can run the power wire to the fuse panel and clip the wire behind one of the fuses. You have a coaxial input on the back (screw in connection) which is the plug from the antenna. Make sure your antenna and radio are mounted to a fixed point and grounded. Turn it on and your all set. Don't forget to get a handle (I think Rubber Duck is taken). 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

There are really only 3 things you need...
1 - a place to mount the cb
2 - power source
3 - antenna

1 mounting the cb
Hopefully your radio came complete with a mounting bracket. Find a place where it will be out of the way yet convenient to reach without taking your eyes off the road. I like using self tapping machine screws as they dig right in and stay secure. Don't use anything too long as you don't want the screw digging into wiring etc. behind the dash or panels.
2 power source
I connect mine directly to the battery. Red to + black to -.Drawing power from the fuse box means you could end up drawing power from the alternator, which can cause electrical noise on the radio. Going directly to the battery means you can operate the cb even when the vehicle is off.
3 antenna
I like mag mounts the best as I change vehicles every few years. Also, you can just take it off when going through a carwash or when a mechanic needs to lift the vehicle in a garage.

You shouldn't have to drill any holes for routing power or antenna cable...look around a bit and you're sure to find a route to where you want to go somewhere.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the input! thanks.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

I just picked up an older Uniden that was heading for ewaste. Appears previous owner used it as a portable rig. It has a redneck wooden frame around it that allows it to stand upright on floor between seats. Wired with a cigarette lighter style plug. Looking online there appears to be ways to increase power output to more than 18 watts. Sure most units can be similarly modded. Which is most likely illegal.

ReplyQuote
(@gerardo)
Eminent Member

This is an oldie, but goodie. Contains basic and more advanced stuff. From a time when solid state was new and vacuum tube was still going on, but most still applies today. https://www.dropbox.com/s/agl9e71ze9hxz4s/The%20World%20of%20CB%20Radio.pdf?dl=0

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network