April 27, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Garden like it counts (cuz it might) 2020

104 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

well its a new garden year bout to start in Canada..

March is pretty much the earliest starting time for the early's.. time to start peppers, tomatoes, ground cherries, brussel sprouts and egg plant soonish, if you want to grow luffa, they should be started in the next few weeks as well.

for me right now I am just starting my overwintered stone fruits, so Chinese peach babies and a unknown but boy did I like its picked up a local plum dark purple on a Quebec side trip..

last year we had a huge garden rebuild, and this year we will see what ca n be grown, last year we lost 63 average garden growing day, we have spring flood, summer drought and brutal hard very early killing frosts

its a new year.. are you gearing?

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I may be too early, but hey...

Started 3 different kinds of peppers and 4 different kinds of tomatoes a week or so ago.

For long term, I’ve also planted some asparagus seeds as I couldn’t find crowns at a reasonable price.

Good stash of seeds ready to go as well.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

No..not this year, maybe not next. Will be growing a bit just for seed, that's all. Lessons have been learned and its just going to be raised beds and green house gardening for me from here on out. I have the pallet racking and I hope to get more raised beds built this year, and I hope my attached big green house next year. Everyone around me lost their gardens when a hard frost hit in June, My garden was lost too but know what wasn't?, my raised beds, they just sailed right through multiple frosts.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Started tomatoes, peppers, brussel sprouts, broccoli and petunias yesterday. Roughly around 12 kinds of tomatoes and about 10 kinds of peppers. We like to have a variety for snacking, sandwiches/burgers and for putting up for the next winter.

Plans are in the works for changing a ground garden into one with boxes in order to make it a wee bit easier. We should be able to have them all done prior to planting time.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Have rack setup in basement with partial south and full west sun beaming in through big windows/ walk out basement. Going to do raised beds as well as conventional. Have the wood ready and will start in garage once it warms up a bit and not need gloves to work.

Lots of seeds stored from past years and new ones just purchased. Brought in a cherry tomato plant from the garden last fall and she keeps giving me tomatoes. Climbing up the window and wife hates me, but I am hanging in and look forward to planting her back outside in a few months

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Friends weed plants are ready shortly for harvest. I'm getting some space for tomato seedlings in the grow tent when next batch goes in.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

I may be too early, but hey...

Started 3 different kinds of peppers and 4 different kinds of tomatoes a week or so ago.

For long term, I’ve also planted some asparagus seeds as I couldn’t find crowns at a reasonable price.

Good stash of seeds ready to go as well.

Not to late, Any time in march will get it done.. you are good.. If you got the seeds locally, they should all be short season ones that will work in your zone. Consider putting at least some into 5 gallon buckets, that way they can be grown up on stakes outside but you can pick them up and move them into the greenhouse so you can keep a extra push if you need to do so..

As for the Asparagus, if its fresh seed, they will come up nice and go to fern very quickly.. they will need a full year to come up before you will be able to see who is male and female.. I never cull until year two but for production value, you want to remove your females (the ones with the red berries are girls) and focus on then trench planting out your males for your picking needs, either way, no harvesting till the males are coming into their third year..

That is why most folks by and plant 2 year old crowns and then harvest on the 3rd year.. so its a bit of longer term project but a good one! If you want lots (and I do mean lots or can sell out to a local plant group on what you do not want.. google strawberry thyme) but you have to buy 500 at a time lol

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

No..not this year, maybe not next. Will be growing a bit just for seed, that's all. Lessons have been learned and its just going to be raised beds and green house gardening for me from here on out. I have the pallet racking and I hope to get more raised beds built this year, and I hope my attached big green house next year. Everyone around me lost their gardens when a hard frost hit in June, My garden was lost too but know what wasn't?, my raised beds, they just sailed right through multiple frosts.

Glad you are happy with your system and sounds like you have a good plan in place.. good luck on getting more beds built..

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Started tomatoes, peppers, brussel sprouts, broccoli and petunias yesterday. Roughly around 12 kinds of tomatoes and about 10 kinds of peppers. We like to have a variety for snacking, sandwiches/burgers and for putting up for the next winter.

Plans are in the works for changing a ground garden into one with boxes in order to make it a wee bit easier. We should be able to have them all done prior to planting time.

Nice Learner, I will be starting extra's in the next two weeks, some are going out into winter sow apple jugs (I got from a friend, her mother drinks lots of apple juice) a friend gave me some milk jugs and the rest I will tray start in a staggered way.. I am keeping it simple.. just four kinds of tomato, three kinds of peppers, plus one hot.. I am doing going back to a proven older broccoli that I have had good results with..

I am split, I do have a few raised beds and I have a limited amount that have extender covers on them, the rest are just in ground raked raised by 6 inches.. Best of luck on getting them built in lots of time.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Have rack setup in basement with partial south and full west sun beaming in through big windows/ walk out basement. Going to do raised beds as well as conventional. Have the wood ready and will start in garage once it warms up a bit and not need gloves to work.

Lots of seeds stored from past years and new ones just purchased. Brought in a cherry tomato plant from the garden last fall and she keeps giving me tomatoes. Climbing up the window and wife hates me, but I am hanging in and look forward to planting her back outside in a few months

Clarence, for those older seeds, well worth giving them a basic seed germination test to see where they are at. when sold, they want at least 90 plus or over.. but each year in storage, the rates go down.. we normally consider it a just grow it out, once they get to 50% or less on the tests..

It gives a false sense of numbers when you look at them.. Good for you on taking advantage of your natural heat and light in the house.. those little cherry if looked after just keep on giving.. you can take trimmings from her and put them in water to sprout them out an then plant them and voila, now she gave you tomato's all winter and she is the momma to the babies that are all well started and ready to head out into the spring garden for you.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Friends weed plants are ready shortly for harvest. I'm getting some space for tomato seedlings in the grow tent when next batch goes in.

yup, yup.. things will be moving fast in a grow tent set up that's for sure.. have fun starting your tomato's..

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Clarence, for those older seeds, well worth giving them a basic seed germination test to see where they are at. when sold, they want at least 90 plus or over.. but each year in storage, the rates go down.. we normally consider it a just grow it out, once they get to 50% or less on the tests..

It gives a false sense of numbers when you look at them.. Good for you on taking advantage of your natural heat and light in the house.. those little cherry if looked after just keep on giving.. you can take trimmings from her and put them in water to sprout them out an then plant them and voila, now she gave you tomato's all winter and she is the momma to the babies that are all well started and ready to head out into the spring garden for you.

Thanks for tips on old seeds. In 2018, I had mylared and oxygen packed them but will crack open a bag and see what I get sprouting. Will also try your cutting trick and see if I have success.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

My seed order went out yesterday. Still pretty full on my primary’s at home but if things normalize, I have some new ideas to try this year.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

This is a very big old country, so if folks would consider adding in their garden zone, that would be so awesome.

The sap is running here in Ottawa valley, both myself and lots of friends already have our first runs happening.. there is something so special about drinking that first half boiled down sap water.. its almost like a craving you get in the spring..

Our 3 month weather forecast has come out (haha) and we are being told we are going to have a mild warmer early spring.. We will see.. I have a great snow pack at the moment, but typically on the past years where we had a mild warmish early spring that means we also can be on the dryer side earlier in the season.

What is happening in your neck of the woods? Are you over in parts of B.C. where they are starting to garden already, are you in the 6 or 7 zones in Canada where you already have flowers poking their heads up? or are you moving north and into the 4 or 3 zones and gardening is yet a distance dream?
FG Garden Zone 5a

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

3A here... going to be a while!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network