May 05, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Propane or fuel lines

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

While I do not have the following concern, It popped into my tiny head while reminiscing about a hunting and fishing cottage.
My friend had a half dozen, 100 LBS tanks down at water. Level ( boat access only) and ran a copper line up to the house.

Well one spring he came upon a fifty foot rip or slice on the line. Just ripped it wide open as if it was cut with a knife Lightening hit a tree near the line and Shazam! He turns thing off in the fall and I wonder what fun would have occurred if he hadn’t

Something to think about for those running lines between the house and outside tanks.

Love to hear of any work arounds.

peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

As far as I know everyone on propane is running flexable hose from the regulator on the tank to the house. I know I just pop in to Red L in the big city and they make me up whatever length flexable propane hose I require. Good hose too, its a little pricey if I remember right, but quality is outstanding.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@term0shad)
Estimable Member

Well by code its supposed to be pipe from tank to regulater then flex line to what ever. But some run pipe to furnace and hot water tank. depending on distance. Will have to check codes again. Been a few yrs lol

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As far as I know everyone on propane is running flexable hose from the regulator on the tank to the house. I know I just pop in to Red L in the big city and they make me up whatever length flexable propane hose I require. Good hose too, its a little pricey if I remember right, but quality is outstanding.

Thanks, I didn’t think copper line would be a bright move but it was in place for decades and finally had its day of reckoning. Something for folks to look into for property they purchased and may not know what’s just under the surface. Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

Just my two cents: Keeping the propane tanks away from the dwelling is a smart move. With the check valves and construction to TSSA reg's they are not easy to explode but the potential is there. I"m not sure why he would have used copper though. I'm envisioning soft copper from the tanks to the house? That in and of itself is daring in an exterior environment. One can walk and trip over the line and kink or penetrate it, a thrown boulder or a variety of issues can make a new chore to fix with soft copper. But putting the tanks well away from the house. hopefully several hundred feet...that there is his first line of prevention. LIghting can hit the tanks them selves (metal), or any other number of events could happen.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@dougm)
Eminent Member

Old school was to put anything that could go bang in a pit, so if it did go bang forces were directed up.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Bury the copper line from tank to house. Problem solved.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thank you scrounger, crownsown and Doug.
He had it buried by about an inch of pine needles and all the fall debris of over forty years.

About two hundred feet from house to tanks down by the water. Going to guess it was flexible copper but I may be wrong. Was it something else in the 70’s? I went up there for about fifteen years and it was in place for many years before.

Some of the other suggestions are good and to code. Reason for post was to highlight something that people may have/ had in use for years, but may wish to re-examine.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s what is great about this site. Informed people looking for solutions and improving things. Cheers

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network