May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Refilling 1lb Propane Tanks

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

One of my most used preps is a two burner propane stove...Coleman style, but not Coleman. This thing is so easy to set up, I just place a wood cutting board on the stovetop, place my propane stove on that and away I go!
But those 1lb propane tanks are expensive compared to bulk propane.
I fill my 20lb tanks for $15.00. I couldn't buy 3 1lb tanks for that.
I know I could get a hose to go from a 20lb tank on the floor and I already have the regulator, but it's a pain having this bulky thing underfoot in my smallish kitchen.
So......I got myself one of those adaptors that allows you to refill the 1lb tanks from bulk tanks and it works....sort of.
My first attempt I was only able to get not even half of the 1lb tank filled.
My second attempt, same results.
I figured I should purge those little tanks before filling, so I just screwed the adaptor onto one of them, opening the valve and let it sit until the psssssst noise stopped.
I was able to get somewhat more propane into that one, but it just doesn't feel full.
storing 100 half full tanks rather than 40 or 50 full ones seems a waste of space.
Any ideas on how to get those little 1lb tanks full?

peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I found a vid of a guy doing it like I do. I orientate the tank and bottle different than him, but you get the idea.I also use long handled locking forceps on the pin rather than needle nose pliers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M37JLlJGrYU

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I just found another vid of a guy doing it just as I do, even using the locking forceps . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM
This will get your tanks right full, every time!

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I figured it was a back pressure issue...thanks for the tip.

ReplyQuote
(@lumpy)

Tipping the tanks upside down and putting the 1 on tank in the freezer prior to filling has increased the volume for me.

Lumpy

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network