May 16, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Are you prepping for the coronavirus?

105 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
10.9 K Views
(@threestorms)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/canadians-being-told-to-prepare-for-a-possible-novel-coronavirus-pandemic

This report is saying start prepping From Canadian Officials.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Well, while I am not as worried about this as some, It may be wise to check your stores. I can hold as I am on most things, unless the price is right and then I will buy. For those anticipating having to shelter in place, I do have some advice..Beer, are you stocked? a quarantine is always better with beer 😀 and its even better if your not buying the heavily taxed stuff, stick it to the man and make your own. I recommend having a one year supply. While I view food storage generously at 3000 calories a day, beer I view modestly at having 1L a day as a reasonable amount per person. How much would that be...Just 17 to 18 of these cheap beer kits.

Regular price is 15.00 but at the last sale price I was buying them for 13.00 dollars, but even at 15 this makes for cheap beer. You have to add other things so that brings the price up to 20.00 dollars, and with 20.00 dollars I can make from 19 to 22 liters of beer (depending how I make it). That's roughly One dollar per liter. I bottle the beer in one liter bottles. A regular can size is 355ml so one liter is roughly equal to 3 cans of beer, or viewed another way 34 cents per can of beer. Yes you really can afford to stay drunk though the coming pandemic and that's the best way.
Pro tip for novice brewers with these cheap kits...bottle into 1 liter reusable bottles (from brewers supply) and when bottling pour in about 100ml of apple juice in with your 900+ ml of beer. Let sit for a couple weeks. The apple juice adds a little flavour, but what it really does when you get the amount right is due to its high sugar content (7%) it carbonates the bottle. When you get the right amount the bottle doesn't become a Geyser when you open it. 100ml is about right. (Start at 75ml per one liter bottle and see, work up from there)

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Here’s a link to ctv ottawa convo from last evening
01:05 is where the fun starts. Anchor mentions a few months of med supply and doc agrees. Nice to hear this level of honestly.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1908642

ReplyQuote
(@threestorms)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Totally forgot about beer kits

Well, while I am not as worried about this as some, It may be wise to check your stores. I can hold as I am on most things, unless the price is right and then I will buy. For those anticipating having to shelter in place, I do have some advice..Beer, are you stocked? a quarantine is always better with beer 😀 and its even better if your not buying the heavily taxed stuff, stick it to the man and make your own. I recommend having a one year supply. While I view food storage generously at 3000 calories a day, beer I view modestly at having 1L a day as a reasonable amount per person. How much would that be...Just 17 to 18 of these cheap beer kits.
beer.jpg
Regular price is 15.00 but at the last sale price I was buying them for 13.00 dollars, but even at 15 this makes for cheap beer. You have to add other things so that brings the price up to 20.00 dollars, and with 20.00 dollars I can make from 19 to 22 liters of beer (depending how I make it). That's roughly One dollar per liter. I bottle the beer in one liter bottles. A regular can size is 355ml so one liter is roughly equal to 3 cans of beer, or viewed another way 34 cents per can of beer. Yes you really can afford to stay drunk though the coming pandemic and that's the best way.
Pro tip for novice brewers with these cheap kits...bottle into 1 liter reusable bottles (from brewers supply) and when bottling pour in about 100ml of apple juice in with your 900+ ml of beer. Let sit for a couple weeks. The apple juice adds a little flavour, but what it really does when you get the amount right is due to its high sugar content (7%) it carbonates the bottle. When you get the right amount the bottle doesn't become a Geyser when you open it. 100ml is about right. (Start at 75ml per one liter bottle and see, work up from there)

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Totally forgot about beer kits

beer.jpg

Yes easy enough to forget, and to get even more serious into the matter variety is important...that honey I store is for mead, but that takes me longer to brew, minimum a month if I rush it, but 2 to 3 to make a better product, cost to produce in one litter bottle sizes is 3 times beer but its also nearly double the alcohol content 10-12 %. Also from apple juice, you can produce apple wine/cider at 6%.alcohol for 90 cents a liter.

View the booze as comfort food.+ trade goods. Between beer kits, honey and apple juice in stock Im good for producing happy juice somewhere out to a little over 2 years.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Probably worth mentioning again, but masks ( if you have them) must be right size and even then, fitted properly. If they aren’t, they are not much use. I had recommended visiting a health unit to have them show you proper methods.

NOTE: many nurses do not know proper methods or have forgotten,so ask them, when was last time they were retrained on proper use!

Can only be worn once.

Don’t work with most beards.

Must be put on and removed in a proper manner or again, not much use.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2010-133/pdfs/2010-133.pdf

ReplyQuote
(@entropy)
Reputable Member

Mask fit testing is required for hospital and home care staff ever two years or with any significant weight change. Masks do not work if facial hair is under them at all. They need a tight seal to the face.

Here is a donning and doffing illustration.

Note I will never where a hazmat suit or gas mask working with a patient with this virus. I will only use a plastic isolation gown if the risk of contamination from stool or vomit is a risk. An N95 mask and face shield is over kill. A level 3 surgical mask with eye protection IS enough. We are using the N95 at work for added safety. In a non high risk environment like going to the mall, a level 1 mask and eye protection would do the job.

IF YOU WEAR A MASK, COVER YOUR EYES!!!!

The virus will only live on clothing or soft surfaces for a short time 20-60 mins. Longer if soiled with stool, vomit or mucus.
Washing machine and soap will clean.

Hard surface the virus will live on it for hours to days. Depending. Clean with Lysol style wipes or a bleach solution.

Dishes— soap and water with a good hand scrubbing or dishwasher. If washed by hand a bleach solution soak will not hurt.

Skin- alcohol based hand rub 70% or higher is best
If hands are visibly soiled then soap and water.

The beat way to avoid illness is not being called NPI’s or non pharmaceutical interventions.
Examples
Stay at home of sick or if someone in your house is sick ( yes I know this is a hard one to do)
Wash your hands after sneezing or coughing
Wash your hands BEFORE touching anything in the kitchen
After using the toilet
Before touching your face.
Clean commonly touches things OFTEN, and more so if someone is sick.

The amount of misinfo on YouTube by prepper is bloody killing me. KILLING ME.

adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

that was useful info.. thank you

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@threestorms)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

For those that can, dont forget to start your indoor seedlings now ish.
if you plan to bug in and have lots of food stored, always good to have some fresh berries or vegtables in a few months.

also this year plant them in pots if you can (perennial vegs/fruit) so you can bring them in the house in fall...pickup a few grow bulbs...i have my lemon tree (always indoors in fall) and pepper plant indoors this year.

raspberries, blueberries and other berry bushes
asparagus
rhubarb
kale
garlic
horseradish
globe artichokes
etc...

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I just stumbled across this today, its about 5 weeks out of date but in retrospect these two had a better assessment at the time than any other western sources. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5VGPYtbTk8&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1f916n3cs-2Y2l5vtW8h4QTFFgLGVJYHPw6HSAwg5PjMkF9e8rTbVSW54

Bump the speed up to 1.25

I don't think its said in this vid but one of those guys wives is a doctor in China.

Here is their latest on the topic, time will tell if they are correct. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFoS-M4uF0

On second thought you may wish to pass as the vid quality is so low.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Agree with what those two guys were saying. I have zero intel, but in the absence of ANY credible info, from any gov,agency.... , one can, to a degree at list listen to what appears as some lone wolf voice.

Is it ideal? Absolutely not.

To help understand the high likelihood of our being told lies, Let’s pretend for a second that dear honest and open China was in fact being truthful. Try not to laught, hang in there 😆

If they had defeated this, do you think that perhaps they wouldn’t be crowing from the rafters and welcoming IN, media, CDC....by all means wear protective gear so one doesn’t infect the now clean Chinese populace! But come walk about and see the happy populace out in the bat wing market.

our satellites would be picking up images of happy Chinese workers frolicking back to work, plants whirling away producing everything from lead, cadmium tainted children’s toys, cat food with plastic wood in it and cheap dishwashers that break after a year of bi daily use. Get my point? They would be bragging, but alas, it’s crickets on any verifiable info.

So complete BS and what’s worse, our leaders are espousing the same garbage.

If the truth was what they claim, it would be made for all to see.

So prep away mes ami, prep away. I have spent what I can and will now focus on garden preps and hoping me and mine remain virus free.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

So, first Canadian death. Seems both tragic and news worthy. That said, the 80-something year old man living in a long-term care facility was already likely quite ill or feeble. Would be interesting to hear some stats on how many other residents passed from complications of the seasonal flu this year.

I'm certainly more aware of the situations around me, especially after a few cases were announced within ~ 100 km from our house. BUT, there's been few "community cases" as of yet and, with few exceptions, it seems like those most affected are elderly people and those with other co-morbid factors. I'm not quite into "hit the bunkers status"!

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

today I hit the wall.. lol.. a) the weather was amazing, sap was boiling, personal great day.. then I caught the news, whole of Italy shut down.. WTF tilts head sideways.. what is the missing part.. did I think a whole country or many country's would have lock downs yes, when they hit china rates, tens of thousands infected, thousands having passed..

Seems way early to me.. just me.. but between the stock market, the oil, the bla bla.. whack.. yup wall

so I groomed my horse, started my seeds, turned tree sap into golden sugar syrup, start soaking a nice bean mix blend to can up tomorrow and kept on keeping on..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

today I hit the wall.. lol.. a) the weather was amazing, sap was boiling, personal great day.. then I caught the news, whole of Italy shut down.. WTF tilts head sideways.. what is the missing part.. did I think a whole country or many country's would have lock downs yes, when they hit china rates, tens of thousands infected, thousands having passed..

Seems way early to me.. just me.. but between the stock market, the oil, the bla bla.. whack.. yup wall

so I groomed my horse, started my seeds, turned tree sap into golden sugar syrup, start soaking a nice bean mix blend to can up tomorrow and kept on keeping on..

This locking down the entire country thing was a surprising action but maybe their numbers show it was needed, may be time for Canada to lock down the American border. Even if it is a little premtive it will give our health workers more time for preparation. I am certain its worse in America than they know. The orange Jesus is still saying this is no big deal.... http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/heather-digby-parton/89274/is-the-christian-right-now-in-charge-of-public-health-inside-the-trump-administration

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network