May 16, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Are you prepping for the coronavirus?

105 Posts
15 Users
0 Reactions
10.9 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

today I hit the wall.. lol.. a) the weather was amazing, sap was boiling, personal great day.. then I caught the news, whole of Italy shut down.. WTF tilts head sideways.. what is the missing part.. did I think a whole country or many country's would have lock downs yes, when they hit china rates, tens of thousands infected, thousands having passed..

Seems way early to me.. just me.. but between the stock market, the oil, the bla bla.. whack.. yup wall

so I groomed my horse, started my seeds, turned tree sap into golden sugar syrup, start soaking a nice bean mix blend to can up tomorrow and kept on keeping on..

This locking down the entire country thing was a surprising action but maybe their numbers show it was needed, may be time for Canada to lock down the American border. Even if it is a little premtive it will give our health workers more time for preparation. I am certain its worse in America than they know. The orange Jesus is still saying this is no big deal.... http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/heather-digby-parton/89274/is-the-christian-right-now-in-charge-of-public-health-inside-the-trump-administration

Let’s leave the orange one out of this, the whole lot of them are useless. If we focus on the talking heads, we loose sight of what we must do.
I certainly agree with your locking things down, been saying it since the very beginning. To me it was an obvious thing to do, first with China and of course all other counties. People in China were leaving and flying around the world. Simple logic to understand they would spread it and then the horse has bolted the barn.

So yes, lock it down. Lock down all the shopping malls,clothing stores and other non life essential locations, schools, all cultural events. It’s going to happen anyways, so for what it’s worth, do it now and get a jump on things. All discretion ally gov spending is stopped, people get instant unemployment, all credit card interest fees are immediately stopped, same for repayments of mortgages..... people need to know they can stay home and not lose their home or job due to this.

To pretend there’s no financial pain is delusional, so treat it aggressively and fairly for the people and businesses.
It’s painful but certainly doable

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

The U.S. has another major problem that will imped containment and that is the illegals they have been hunting down the last 4 years. No way in hell that they will show up at a hospital for treatment or quarantine. No way in hell they can afford to take time off work. Its going to get real ugly down there.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The U.S. has another major problem that will imped containment and that is the illegals they have been hunting down the last 4 years. No way in hell that they will show up at a hospital for treatment or quarantine. No way in hell they can afford to take time off work. Its going to get real ugly down there.

I believe you are right with a great many of them/ they will not show up for minor infections and that of course adds to the spreading of it. The truly sick will but all the others will be left to increase the spread.

ReplyQuote
(@threestorms)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Some info students in China are getting
So not sure...

27 celcius will kill the virus.
If it's in droplet form

It lasts for 12 hours on metal surfaces
Going through a wash with detergent will kill it

It starts as a dry cough for 1 to 3 days
Then nasel mucus

10 feet from a person is the range to be. To avoid droplets.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Well.. too f’ing close to home.

Got a phone call from an employee who has been directed into self isolation pending virus testing. One of those “6 degrees of separation thing” where her kid was sick, brought to the clinic with fever, found out that the kid attends the same daycare as another kid who was brought in earlier with fever who had connection with one of those cases in Edmonton. So our secretary/receptionist/office gal is told that her and her son are to stay in quarantine until tested (maybe tomorrow) and results are returned 2-3 days later.

And... she was asked to provide a list of all those people who she was in contact with. That includes your very own HelicoPilot.

Owing that this is all presumptive matter and that I’ve been sterilizing the living hell our of everything I touch at work AND that I practically drink hand sanitizer, I’m not overly concerned at this time. But as one of the managers, I’m closing the shop tomorrow until I find out more from her and the local public health office on how to properly disinfect common areas. Initial reports that the virus dies in 12 hours on common surfaces would mean that keeping everyone home for a day should keep the cooties away...

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Wow! That is close to home. Lets see how to turn this into a positive, first document everything, including the shortage of disinfectant. Once you have closed the shop for 24 hrs, on the same day head straight to the liqour vendors and stock up on a couple cases of Vodka. Now with the receipt dated for the day you shut down, give this to your book keeper with instructions that this was a immediate medical need required for disinfecting the property. If you have a good book keeper she should be able to get it deducted as a business expense. Just a idea

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Well.. too f’ing close to home.

Got a phone call from an employee who has been directed into self isolation pending virus testing. One of those “6 degrees of separation thing” where her kid was sick, brought to the clinic with fever, found out that the kid attends the same daycare as another kid who was brought in earlier with fever who had connection with one of those cases in Edmonton. So our secretary/receptionist/office gal is told that her and her son are to stay in quarantine until tested (maybe tomorrow) and results are returned 2-3 days later.

And... she was asked to provide a list of all those people who she was in contact with. That includes your very own HelicoPilot.

Owing that this is all presumptive matter and that I’ve been sterilizing the living hell our of everything I touch at work AND that I practically drink hand sanitizer, I’m not overly concerned at this time. But as one of the managers, I’m closing the shop tomorrow until I find out more from her and the local public health office on how to properly disinfect common areas. Initial reports that the virus dies in 12 hours on common surfaces would mean that keeping everyone home for a day should keep the cooties away...

Yup! that is close for sure.. Well, here is hoping that its a false alarm but I expect its not.. Keep us posted please.. Things really jumped world wide in a number of ways in the past 24 hours but this is a very good post to remind us that its also pushing forward on a close personal way with a lot of people.

I am waiting.. I have a lady's group that I attend weekly that includes mom's and little ones (sticky, hugging little ones) and I did a long hard SLOW blink when one of the mom's let us know that hubby went to a massive Tec/net related convention in Calf with thousand's people from around the world all attending.. Not long enough to confirm that hubby didn't pick something up, but he is a super healthy dude, so could be one of those lucky folks that feels great.. long enough however to have got something and shed it all over the wife and kids to share with the group and myself..

No where as close as yours but still.. it was. WTF maybe we should have been told about it.. Its kind of like March break.. how do you say.. where you going.. what you doing?

I made the hard call to cancel all my course's and classes yesterday.. that is a good loss and I will be giving back full refunds to those already booked in.. I am also canceling my attending the big Regenative Soil Conference in Montreal next week.. 100's of people in threatre style seating that are driving, flying in from around Canada, the states and Europe.. Nope.. NOPE.

Hubby just got notice at work about no international travel, (limited national travel still allowed) and a few more things in a letter.. one of the things I did find interesting was that they had a new phone number and set up for mental health in dealing with it.. that surprises me a touch..

Have a 3 day conference (work related) in Toronto that I am paid and booked into for the last weekend of the month and I do not think I will be attended that, ideally they should be cancelling it but they are doing the same song and dance as PEDAC did, the hotel is stepping up cleaning, we will have lots of hand cleaning stations etc.. Already 2 cases so far from that gathering, and more will come out yet.. so how did that work out.. NOT!

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I recently mentioned people in cities, needing to look at their remote locations. If we do start large scale quarantine with travel restrictions, or even simple things like gas stations being shutdown. it would be wise to discretely go out to ones remote site and make sure everything is working 100%.

Wires in good shape from any wind storm, no nests in troublesome spots, flip breakers on and off a few times and all the other things needed in a seldom used location. Water levels are coming up a bit, so access routes may pose some issues. Consider bring a chainsaw, rope... to make a bridge, fill in a washed out road or remove fallen debris...

Do you have fuel for car at remote location and is it well hidden from theft? Freshen up fuel in the gas cans you had for any generators. Fill up propane tanks at the remote site..... get more chainsaw fuel mix, bar oil, spark plugs....

In short, give all your lists and plans a good one over

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Now we are starting to see some big time movement in N.A. in the past 24 hours, cancelled, closed, postponed and more

This ball is rolling folks!

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Now we are starting to see some big time movement in N.A. in the past 24 hours, cancelled, closed, postponed and more

This ball is rolling folks!

Yes, and we can see the beginnings of the trajectory the U.S. is facing. Here is a couple peer countries, and I don't mean disrespect to Germany and France by saying peer countries vs the U.S.A. rather only by roughly case numbers.

France
Germany
United States
The first number is cases, the second deaths. They are going to be dying by multiples of other countries in the U.S. Forget masks and hand sanitizer, they better start ordering body bags....

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

They ( USA ) are not even careful about gaming the numbers. The first screen shot is from 6 hrs ago.

and now..

They have been jiggering these numbers downward.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Check out that list on the left...Canada hasn't been there all day!
#somethingstinks

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Yes, I noticed that too.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Just saying, but there’s been several reports of infections or Trojan horses being tagged to those COVID tracking sites...

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Just saying, but there’s been several reports of infections or Trojan horses being tagged to those COVID tracking sites...

I was checking this out further, and they claim they where having web site issues, re-entering data and such, I still don't like the numbers I am seeing from the U.S. Its like some one has their thumb on the scale, but at some point the run away numbers that I suspect, will be too great to hide.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 7
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network